PDA

View Full Version : I need your 400ex hauling expertise/experience..

CEREBRAL
05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I know that the math doesn't work, but real life and human creativity sometimes trump Hard facts.

Will a 400ex fit sideways in a 5' wide trailer with 6" tall rails?

Even if it won't fit the inside trailer dimensions, can you still load it safely if you set the front wheels up on the rails a little??

Looking for that "real life" experience! Thoughts??

P.S. I just don't want to buy a wider trailer.......:ermm:

Chuck75
05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
You CAN do it IF you tie it down real good. hell I've seen worse.

CEREBRAL
05-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I don't want to be that guy:D I'm just trying to find out how much it would hang over. It doesn't even need to be a 400ex, just experience with a 5' wide trailer and a quad sideways. I don't have a quad yet is the reason i'm asking. Should be soon.

Thanks Chuck!

vaget22
05-10-2010, 04:57 PM
I just threw a tape on mine and it measures 69in overall from front to back tire. 6in down from the centers of the tires is about 65in. Either the front tires or the back are going to need to br raised a bit off the deck. If the side rails are good and strong you could put the bike where it will need to be and see how far off the deck the front tires are. Measure the distance off the deck to the bottoms of the tires and make some blocks that are maybe a half inch taller than that. Mount them securely in place and they will help support the weight of the bike. That way you won't be putting too much on just the side rail. And of course strap the crap out of it and it should be good. Just a thought.

CJM
05-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a odd homemade trailer I picked up, measures 5ft 4in inside and I could barely make a stock 05 EX fit in there and that was with the front wheels turned.

fromtheside88
05-10-2010, 05:55 PM
thats how my buddy does on his trailer he fits 2 of them on there i don't know if his dimensions are the same as urs but yea he does it all the time we have never had a problem

CEREBRAL
05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Vaget22, wow, thanks for doing that, man! Sounds like it will fit with the front tires up on the rail a little. Thanks again.

CJM, but it did fit inside your trailer. I have 4 inches less to work with, but that tells me it will not be hanging over too far. Maybe half a tire length up on the rail. I know I could secure that.

fromtheside88, yeah, that's what I want to do, carry two side by side. Does he have the tires up on the rail?

Thanks guys........

atv fan 28
05-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by CEREBRAL
Vaget22, wow, thanks for doing that, man! Sounds like it will fit with the front tires up on the rail a little. Thanks again.

CJM, but it did fit inside your trailer. I have 4 inches less to work with, but that tells me it will not be hanging over too far. Maybe half a tire length up on the rail. I know I could secure that.

fromtheside88, yeah, that's what I want to do, carry two side by side. Does he have the tires up on the rail?

Thanks guys........ if ya absolutely had to, you could let the air out of your tires and gain a few more inches. me and my buddy have actually fit our 450R,250R, and ATC250R on a 6x10 trailer. and it fit pretty good. BTW the 250r was at 48", the 450r was at 51" wide, and the ATC was at 46" wide.

CJM
05-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Like I said it barely fit, maybe if I let all the air out it would fit better. If oyu sit the tires on the rail it will fit tho.

If anything I am making my trailer longer by 2 ft to make it 12ft instead of 10ft and then I will fit them easier.

vaget22
05-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by CEREBRAL

No prob. I'm still kind of new to this quad thing and seems like most of the time I'm just leeching info off here and can't add much back. I try to help out anytime I get a chance. :cool:

dns1764
05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
we did it before. the fronts have to go on the rails. easiest way is to throw the ramps on the side of the trailer and drive it up. also have a small piece of wood by the rails to help the front tires up.

dont tie the fronts down too tight or the tire will get a bubble in it

bigbad400
05-11-2010, 08:18 AM
mine has plus 1 inch forward a arms and 23/22 tire combo, and i can do it on my 5 ft wide trailer, but i set the front in the trailer and have the rear up and tied down axle to the bar, and a couple other straps here and there on the front. i put a ltz400 next to it facing the opposite, way with its rear up. and a cr500 on the back, and we can just barely put up the ramp. its 12 ft long. used to be a pontoon trailer. lol good luck.

VTredneckgames
05-11-2010, 08:40 AM
one of the best ways to do this is to cut some 2x6s and place them from one side of the trailer up on top of the rail on the others side. Park the EX on top of them. Just like you were using them as ramps. Then strap them down good. This prevents any damage to the tire and makes it alittle more stable inside the trailer.

CEREBRAL
05-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
if ya absolutely had to, you could let the air out of your tires and gain a few more inches. me and my buddy have actually fit our 450R,250R, and ATC250R on a 6x10 trailer. and it fit pretty good. BTW the 250r was at 48", the 450r was at 51" wide, and the ATC was at 46" wide.

That's definitely an option. If ya'll can get those three on a 10', I can surely get one on my trailer!

Originally posted by CJM
Like I said it barely fit, maybe if I let all the air out it would fit better. If oyu sit the tires on the rail it will fit tho.

If anything I am making my trailer longer by 2 ft to make it 12ft instead of 10ft and then I will fit them easier.

Thanks for the confirmation, CJM!

Originally posted by vaget22
No prob. I'm still kind of new to this quad thing and seems like most of the time I'm just leeching info off here and can't add much back. I try to help out anytime I get a chance. :cool:

And it's appreciated.

Originally posted by dns1764
we did it before. the fronts have to go on the rails. easiest way is to throw the ramps on the side of the trailer and drive it up. also have a small piece of wood by the rails to help the front tires up.

dont tie the fronts down too tight or the tire will get a bubble in it

Good tips! I would hate to get to the riding spot only to find a trashed tire.

Originally posted by bigbad400
mine has plus 1 inch forward a arms and 23/22 tire combo, and i can do it on my 5 ft wide trailer, but i set the front in the trailer and have the rear up and tied down axle to the bar, and a couple other straps here and there on the front. i put a ltz400 next to it facing the opposite, way with its rear up. and a cr500 on the back, and we can just barely put up the ramp. its 12 ft long. used to be a pontoon trailer. lol good luck.

That makes it definitive. That brings up another question....... 2 quads and a CR500 just barely fit on your 12' trailer. I was thinking that 3 stock 400exs would fit in a 12' trailer side by side. Is this not the case?? They're like 46" wide stock, right? I'm so confused!:D

Originally posted by VTredneckgames
one of the best ways to do this is to cut some 2x6s and place them from one side of the trailer up on top of the rail on the others side. Park the EX on top of them. Just like you were using them as ramps. Then strap them down good. This prevents any damage to the tire and makes it alittle more stable inside the trailer.

Like a bridge on top of the rails? The quads would be suspended over the trailer bed??:confused:

Thanks guys!

hocman123
05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
i had mine in the back of cjm trailer sideways with the front hanging over the rail and had straps on it but when the front steering turned it made the strapes loose and it allmost came off when we got to were we were going which was like 7 miles away my front tire was halfway off the back of the trailer

and his is only 5 ft 1 inside the rails 5ft 4 was the outside

bigbad400
05-12-2010, 05:13 AM
my ex has plus 3s wich is 6 inches wider than stock, it has offset rims also. my z400 is stock but with offset rims, we leave room in the front for a couple coolers and riding gear to be strapped in too, my ex is prolly all of 54 inches with the z at close to stock 48.

i def would not suspend my quad on 2x6 maybe like some 6x6 to set it on. i guess you could do 2x6 with some blocks under it to make everything strong.

u could just use a couple short 2x4 pieces and make mini ramps on both sides of the trailer so that tires dont get pinched but its still in the trailer ya know. hell worst comes to worst cut your lip off ur trailer and move it some. lol

CEREBRAL
05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by hocman123
i had mine in the back of cjm trailer sideways with the front hanging over the rail and had straps on it but when the front steering turned it made the strapes loose and it allmost came off when we got to were we were going which was like 7 miles away my front tire was halfway off the back of the trailer

and his is only 5 ft 1 inside the rails 5ft 4 was the outside

Yeah I can see how they would come loose if the tires turned. My dirt bike used to do that until I started securing the front tire to the rail. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by bigbad400
my ex has plus 3s wich is 6 inches wider than stock, it has offset rims also. my z400 is stock but with offset rims, we leave room in the front for a couple coolers and riding gear to be strapped in too, my ex is prolly all of 54 inches with the z at close to stock 48.

i def would not suspend my quad on 2x6 maybe like some 6x6 to set it on. i guess you could do 2x6 with some blocks under it to make everything strong.

u could just use a couple short 2x4 pieces and make mini ramps on both sides of the trailer so that tires dont get pinched but its still in the trailer ya know. hell worst comes to worst cut your lip off ur trailer and move it some. lol

Oh, ok.......... so it sounds like three stock width quads would fit sideways in a 12 footer. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with a small rail ramp/platform for the wheels to sit on. I'll figure something out. Thanks!

Thanks for all the information, guys!

RAPER
05-12-2010, 12:07 PM
i put 2 400's in a pickup sideways with the fronts up on the bedrails... just ratchet strap them down well and you're good to go.

hocman123
05-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by RAPER
i put 2 400's in a pickup sideways with the fronts up on the bedrails... just ratchet strap them down well and you're good to go.

sounds like it will work but that seems like a pain in the *** to get in a truck like that with out a lot of work or some long as could be ramps to go up the side.
u also have to worry about messing up the truck if u have a newer one you wont want dents or scraches in the side