PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Problems

97WarriorRider
05-10-2010, 08:46 AM
I just got a ASV c/5 clutch perch and lever and realized its harder to shift. This lever doesnt seem to pull the clutch as far as the stock lever. It only pulls it about 1/4 inch. Is this right? Could it not be pulling the clutch far enough to let it shift smoothly?

ds268
05-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Sounds like it's not adjusted correctly. Have you tried to lengthen the amount it pulls on the clutch linkage? 1/4" is not nearly enough if that's the distance it pulls at the lever. Look at adjusting the lower linkage then use the adjustment knob at the lever.

97WarriorRider
05-10-2010, 10:16 AM
its not 1/4 inch at the lever, it only moves the arm on the motor about 1/4 inch.

ds268
05-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Ok, that sounds about right but the pull needs to be more forward to disengage the plates. Is there still adjustment at the lever? If not, then adjust the lower adjustment as close as possible to having the clutch work. Be sure to turn the lever knob in most the way before so there is adjustment later.

97WarriorRider
05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
It is adjusted all the way out at the lever, Are you saying screw it all the way in at the lever and adjust it at the motor? There is still alot of pull on that arm with the lever in, its not pulling it very far at all, but it doesnt want to jump forward when its in gear and I start it, but its almost impossible to find neutral and it shifts hard all the way threw the gears.

97WarriorRider
05-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Guess I wont be trying to adjust it tonight, unloaded it off the truck, started it in neutral, clicked it into first and snap, there goes the cable!!

dalejiw25
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Well Alrighty then, Problem solved.

ds268
05-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 97WarriorRider
It is adjusted all the way out at the lever, Are you saying screw it all the way in at the lever and adjust it at the motor? There is still alot of pull on that arm with the lever in, its not pulling it very far at all, but it doesnt want to jump forward when its in gear and I start it, but its almost impossible to find neutral and it shifts hard all the way threw the gears.

Ah man, thats tough luck there. Yes, I like to get the pull just right at the engine side of the cable or as close as I can. This way when or as the clutch cable stretches it's much easier to adjust at the handlebars and you have a good amount of adjustment at the lever.

97WarriorRider
05-15-2010, 08:37 AM
ok got the new cable on, did what you guys said, adjusted it on the motor first then tighten the clutch lever up. It pulls far enough this way, but in order for it to do so its already pulling on the arm on the motor and its not releaseing the clutch all the way and is slipping pretty bad from 3rd gear up. So when I loosen anything up so it doesnt slip, It doesnt pull it far enough to shift smoothly. Could the ASV lever be causing this? I never had a problem with the stock assembly.

slightlybent47
05-15-2010, 09:02 AM
My avs has a small screw that you can adjust it so that the pull of the lever only lets it move so far. Check that and see if you can adjust it so it will have the most travel.
The adjustment is there so you can make the lever sit close to the bars so that you don’t have to reach out as far to grip the lever. This is for people with small hands and don’t have the reach that people with large hands do. That may be what’s going on.

97WarriorRider
05-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I took the screw out of mine becuase it was hitting the start/lights console on the bars and becuase I cant adjust the lever out any farther or it will hit my wrap arounds. I also didnt think that screw would do anything for the pull, thought it was just to adjust the placement of the lever??

slightlybent47
05-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Ok I thought I’d just through that out there just in case.