PDA

View Full Version : Wow

honda400ex2003
05-09-2010, 07:05 PM
So, as most of you know, I have been messing with my 400 if I get time to do so and have been messing with the jetting and stuff while getting other projects done. Well, I finally got everything back to keihin style stuff it runs great. I think it is a definite improvement over the other one! Def use all of the stock stuff if you plan to do anything with a 450 carb, you will never get it right without it. lol. TRUST ME. After almost a month of messing around with different settings with the needle, it became apparent that I would have to switch to the stock needle to get it right. hopefully I can get it to the dyno this week before I get my knee done to find out what it runs. I just wanted to give an update and my true results of the 450 carb install. It pulls great and runs flawlessly. Ill report back to this thread when I get the results. :D steve

CJM
05-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Good job, I think Ill upgrade to a 450 myself one day.

05-09-2010, 07:56 PM
witch 450 carb did you go with the vac or the fcr flat

honda400ex2003
05-09-2010, 08:01 PM
It has been so log since i actually running great that it is nice to take it for a ride and not have popping or sputtering. lol. I put it on in december, didnt really ride much since it was cold and I was sledding, tried to tune it a bit one weekend i was home from school and didnt get it how i wanted. Then I finished school for the year and started messing with it last week. I got it all done except the needle, and was unsure if it was a stock one or not. After Bkelley helped me out with the needle differences, I determined that I had a dj one on there. I ordered one on monday last week, got the wrong one on wednesday when it came in and had to order the correct one on Wednesday to get it friday. Friday it snowed here so I didnt get to ride at all until 5 today since I was in houghton moving to my new house. lol. I started it up when I got home and finally got to open it up with the new needle and stuff after getting it to quit leaking gas out of the bottom. I have decided it was worth the wait and aggravation. I have spent way too much on it but all well i guess. I have a ton of jets now and a bunch of spare parts for a 450 carb. lol. I have a spare bowl and a needle and a needle jet which i have determined is the correct name for the needle that we commonly refer to. lol. waht are you gonna do though, I still dont have 200 in it i dont THINK lol. I would have been better off with a new one for sure! It gets expensive to order everything seperately. lol. steve

honda400ex2003
05-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by ericcrip
witch 450 carb did you go with the vac or the fcr flat

vac i think, it is the 04-05 type that i made an adaptor for. steve

05-09-2010, 08:28 PM
if it came off a 04-05 than it look just like your stock carb did its a vac. i have one off a 06 its a mac flat slid its better than a vac the responce is lick being on a 450 no lie its off the hook.

honda400ex2003
05-09-2010, 08:45 PM
It is a vac one for sure. lol. I got a good deal on it from uchi so i jumped at the chance to get the cables and stuff to go with it. lol. I was able to make an adaptor easier also at school so the 05 was a good choice for me. I am not really a fan of the flat slides anyways LOL. I guess that is why i took this one. everyone i had talked to at the time said that the flat hit the tank and stuff too and I didnt want to mod the airbox or not run one at all. I already had all of the jets and stuff to start getting it close for the winter to be able to ride a little bit. How was your fcr to put on and are you running an air box and stuff? I have not really heard of too many guys running that setup. steve

gt400ex
05-10-2010, 02:15 AM
Make sure you get those dyno numbers back to us! I would really like to see what she dose with internal motor work and see how it compares with what Ron did.

05-10-2010, 06:35 AM
what was rods and what mods dose he have

leakyvoodoo
05-10-2010, 08:08 AM
I have a 06 crab been trying to get to work clearence is the proublem with that I am trying to figure out how to make the tank sit about a half of a inch higher. For it to clear. Anyone with some help on that. And some tuneing help if needed

honda400ex2003
05-10-2010, 10:57 AM
what was rods and what mods dose he have

His thread is in the stickies with a name like 450 vs 400 carb. He has a slip on on a stock motor I believe and got around 2 hp. I will def get back to you guys on it. My appointment is at 1PM tomorrow in Plover Wi at Rossier Eng. I cant wait, I have to put my spacers on tonight so that I am wide enough to run on it and load it up tonight for the 2 hour trip tomorrow. It is gonna be awesome! :D :D :D Ill bring my camera also and take some shots of the dyno and my machine on it too. Steve

honda400ex2003
05-10-2010, 11:00 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=409169

Heres his dyno charts and stuff. He did a very big comparison, I will only be able to see how it runs with teh 450 carb on it. I wont have time to find out what it is vs the stocker with the same setup. It is 100 an hour so every hour will count for some $$$$. I hope to have 1 hour and the 50 to set it up so it should not be too much. I will probably cut them off at an hour anyway no matter what. It will cost me another 50 to drive there and back in the truck pulling the trailer. steve

bkelley
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Can't wait to see your results.

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 05:52 PM
34 hp!:D I was extremely happy with that. I went down to a 168 main to get it to 13:1. The bottom chart is the A/F ratio and the top is the hp run. The blue one is the last one and the 168 the bottom one is the 178, the middle at 12.5:1 is with a 175 in it. I couldnt believe I went all the way down to a 168 but it runs good and is more efficient now than it was with the 400 carb. I gained 1 hp just going down from the 178 to the 168, that is quite a bit imo. I would have liked to have had some time to run with the 400 carb to do a comparison along with swapping out the stage 2 for the stage 1 to see how it was and where the power was at. Overall I am happy with it, I cant wait to take it for a ride. It is raining right now so hopefully tomorrow it will be better outside to ride. steve

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 05:59 PM
heres the chart steve

Ill save it regular then reload it to image shack again.
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7978/dynorun416ex.th.jpg (http://img33.imageshack.us/i/dynorun416ex.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 06:08 PM
stock is 26 hp,
http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/DW_march2001_pg2.jpg

that is 8 hp for around 6 hundred bucks total. I think that is pretty good for sure. I am officially done messing with the jetting and the machine in general. I just have to get some new scoops and I will be set. one of my bolts came out of mine on the way home and it tore off the machine. lol. I had trouble with it flopping all day and about 5 miles from home it finally came off after zipties and such holding it on all day. lol. steve

tri5ron
05-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Very nice Steve,
I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I've been considering going up to a 416, 10.5:1 ,and a stage 1 cam or similar.

Heck another 2hp on top of what I got could be very nice, and would STILL qualify as a near bullet-proof machine !
Me Likes it !!! :D

think of it this way,...
you've basically added 10hp, or, almost a 50% hp increase, over the bone stock engine, AND it's STILL as dependable as you could ever hope for !

Great Job !

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks, I had fun with it before i dropped it down to the 168. lol. It didnt matter to me having it that rich actually it pulled hard even that rich with 33 hp. lol. I have everything that is in my sig now on it. I think with the stage 1 it would have moved the power further down. With the 450 carb it has the same amount of low end and has a really nice pull with the 450 carb. I think with the 400 carb and the stage 2 it would not have helped at all but actually hurt it on low end. The 450 carb helps to get air in faster than the 400 one did and the 400 carb was great for low end but it leveled off really quick. this setup still makes 30 hp at 8500 rpms and just below at 9000 as you can see. the stage 1 would never make that much up that high. any thoughts? I may try it out one day if i am bored but i dont think it will be any better with it in. I dont think i would have to rejet with it in there but i guess you never know. steve

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 06:30 PM
What do you all have done ron?

this is yours.
32 hp is impressive considering you have a stock bore. actually it kindof makes me sad lol. I only ran 2 hp more than you with a 416 in mine. lol. not really but I was hoping to be 35 at least or 36 would have been really nice to see with the 450 carb. I guess Ill live with that since a 450 is right around 38-40 hp stock according to the guy at rossier engineering on their dyno. maybe it made quite a difference. he said with their exhuasts they are in the lower 40s on theirs. So it def depends on what dyno you are on and what weight they are using. If i recall they use a 700 lb drum for atvs. does this sound right? steve

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 06:36 PM
rossier engineering says that the 450r is respectfully 38hp on their site on their dyno. so 34 is great on their dyno.

http://www.rossiereng.com/products.php?category=400200

steve

tri5ron
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Mine is Stock piston, Stock cam, Stock timing chain, Stock coil, Stock rev box.
My mods are,...
Full Big Gun Race Series system (header and can) w/Quiet core, Uni filter, home-made Outerwears lid, 450r vac carb- tuned on the dyno, and a Sparks key.

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Very good then ron! steve

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Does anyone want to donate any $$ for another test session? I may be able to talk him into letting me use it for a few hours again to do some stuff with the different cams and both carbs. 400 would get me 3.5 hours on the dyno. lol. I would set up another afternoon possibly if he would let me. they really dont do any private stuff, it is just for themselves to run their exhaust prototypes so it may be tough. steve

tri5ron
05-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Uhmm,...
I'm ALSO open to donations :D :D :D
LOL !

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
we gotta set up some stuff to get some $$ at 100 an hour lol. the guy really didnt want to even mess with mine today lol. since it was a private deal and wasnt a 450. he said he hasnt done a 400 in 4-5 years now that all of the 450s are out. they dont even have any 400 exhaust cause the 450s keep them busy. lol. they had a yfz450r sitting there that they were working on an exhaust for. it looked like a sweet machine considering it is a yamaha. lol. I havent found any at the local dealer yet so it was a first. steve

honda400ex2003
05-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Uhmm,...
I'm ALSO open to donations :D :D :D
LOL !

lol dont forget i am a poor college kid :D (we'll get them suckered into giving up some ching.) steve

05-11-2010, 07:06 PM
dose the sparks key make a big dif. in the way it runs what dose it do for you. what is a good one the 3 or 6

tri5ron
05-11-2010, 07:12 PM
dose the sparks key make a big dif. in the way it runs what dose it do for you. what is a good one the 3 or 6 Eric,
So as to not hijack this thread,
this should answer all of your questions reguarding the Sparks key...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349499&highlight=sparks+advance

honda400ex2003
05-12-2010, 11:16 AM
My chain was also worn some. It was starting to bunch as the dyno guy pointed out to me. lol I knew it was starting to get bade but he said it was wore out. I have my new one coming tomorrow along with my Q4 and my JT sprockets. I hope they will be as good as my renthal ones have been for the last 4 years. Does anyone think that the numbers would be any higher with the new chain. I dont think it will make much of a difference. lol. steve

honda400ex2003
05-12-2010, 11:24 AM
I may keep my t-4 for the performance unless i like how the q4 performs. Then i would think about selling the t-4 for around 160. I hope it will have some nice low end and mid to help level off the top with stage 2 in my hundy now. lol. It should still have the 34 hp and not have to mess with the f/a again since with the newer technology in it, it should flow just as good as my t-4 does. it may even be better so i may be able to go to a 170 which i may do anyway just for reassurance even with my t-4 now. I dont want to have to worry if i am riding in real cold stuff. For the summer it will be fine since it will richen up a bit at 70 and higher. the machine ran great though today after i finally got to take it for a ride when the rain let up.

steve

bkelley
05-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Makes me wonder about mine if you went all the way down to a 168. That's what I'm running...

honda400ex2003
05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I am gonna do some riding today and see how the plug actually looks to get a comparison of how it looked with the 400 carb on it. They did say that they see that every now and again where they get more efficient as they get better performing parts and such in them with a better carb to get more air in faster. I really wish I could get some more time down there to run all of the setups we have discussed around here, I just cant do it though. lol. steve

honda400ex2003
05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
so my comparison of the stage 2 vs the stage 1. if you like to ride in 3rd or higher gear the stage 2 is for you. The power in the mid range is great along with the top end. the stage 1 is for the low gears definitely. lol. both are great though. lol. depending on the situation. steve