PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Ridge National Question

blholtz
05-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Just wondering if Sunset Ridge is a track that you could learn quick in the few laps of practice that they give you in the morning before the racing starts.

I have the chance to make it to the National next weekend in IL. but I will not be able to make there till late Friday nite (missing practice).

I am hoping that the track is not a overly techinical track to learn.

If any one could post a track layout that would be great, but any info would be appreciated. Thanks

motofreak2772
05-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Ive never been there but you should include what class you race.

blholtz
05-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Why would the class I race matter? I am asking about the track, not the competition. But if it does matter I am going to try to run 30+, 40+ and maybe open B.

FHKracingZ
05-09-2010, 02:59 PM
its not that technical at all. there is 2 tripples and both are easy but can get a bit sketchy depending on the wind. You will be fine.

blholtz
05-09-2010, 03:46 PM
That is good news thanks for the info

Jim417mx
05-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Sunset Ridge is easy to learn, I can make a quick helmet cam video from a few laps if you want me too... then you can pick your lines =)

motofreak2772
05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by blholtz
Why would the class I race matter? I am asking about the track, not the competition. But if it does matter I am going to try to run 30+, 40+ and maybe open B.
A "C" class rider will take more time to learn the track than an "A" class rider.

Jim417mx
05-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Helpful tip: Try and pick a class that races earlier in the morning, Sunset ridge is sandy dirt and the track gets TERRIBLE by the end of the day!!!

I am uploading that vid now and will post it on a new thread soon as it finishes uploading on youtube!

THARNESS
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
If you sign up for the age classes and the b class you will have two seperate practice rounds on Sat morning. 3 laps each. You should be able to get it down in 6 laps

blholtz
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
The 40+ is one of the first motos of the morning and the 30+ is later in the schedule, so I am good there. The open b-class wil be the on that I add if I am really feeling froggy.:cool: Just not sure if these old bones can handle three motos.;)

mxpimp2000
05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by blholtz
The 40+ is one of the first motos of the morning and the 30+ is later in the schedule, so I am good there. The open b-class wil be the on that I add if I am really feeling froggy.:cool: Just not sure if these old bones can handle three motos.;)

open B is fast. atleast from my point of view. i rode my first national at ballance this year in the open B. im a A rider at locals and do pretty well but once i tried open B at nats i was a sucky rider compared to them. i qualified atleast and made it to the main event on sunday so i was satisfied being my 1st ever national

blholtz
05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
I have finished in the top ten in the Open B class at Red Bud two of the last three years. Didnt get to race last year, had to work.

So that speed doesn't bother me. But I definately want to run the 30+ and the 40+. The Open B would be a class to run if I really feel froggy.

My biggest worry was how technical the track is. I do not want to drive there Friday nite and be unsafe on the track. Not wanting to be a danger to myself or others. Sounds odd I know but everyone has seen people that hit a track with out knowing the layout and get screwed up for it.

Latemodel32
05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
If all else fails Big Air and Log Road are running this next weekend

blholtz
05-10-2010, 06:23 PM
That is the back up plan if I can't get home with an enough time to make it to Sunset Ridge.

Wood_15
05-11-2010, 07:32 AM
There isn't anything technical at walnut you can pick it up pretty fast and most likely on your 1st site lap you'll do everything except the triple. Lots of table tops, the triple is pretty mellow its takes a good set up but its not peaky or blind. The track itself gets rough quick due to it being pretty much being sandy. Just get ready for some nasty holes going in and coming out of corners and you'll be alright.