PDA

View Full Version : air filter & screen question

crday98
05-09-2010, 12:36 PM
i've been searching forums high and low on deciding on which filter to get for my 08 R. i am 100% sure that i am going with a foam type filter. i have been looking at the sparks filter with billet ring and the uni filter. as we all know, the sparks set up eliminates the use of the backfire protector/cage insert. i am fairly new to the R and i am curious how common of an issue is there with backfire through the carb? it seems like a properly jetted carb should never do this but the fact that the factory filter comes with one tells me otherwise and that there is a chance of this happening from time to time??

the uni filter comes with a backfire protector/cage insert but i have read many posts stating that the uni filter's cage is slightly tapered and does not fit very well and results in filters falling off during riding. is this true from your own experience using the uni filter with the uni cage? i have aso read posts where there are some using the sparks billet ring with the uni filter and cage. is anybody running this particular set-up? if so... how well does it work? i am also curious of there is less restriction in the uni gace versus the stock one?

i honestly believe that there is no difference in performance between any single foam filter to the other providing that they are the same size and whether they come with a backfire protector/cage insert. what i am saying is that i believe that the foam filter element itself shouldn't perform any different from one brand to the other so this makes me raise another option for me..... i was thinking about just drilling out the stock cage insert or even cutting the whole thing off as this is obviously a big and possibly the only restriction on the stock air filter and just using the stock filter element.

has anyone done this?? how were the results?? the only thing that worries me about doing this is the fact that there will no longer be any protection to the filter in the event of a backfire through the carb. i have seen two pics of melted Rs due to a backfire into the airbox and it igniting the filter. it is possible that they could have cleaned their filter with a flamable substance such as gas which resulted in the filter catching fire but the posts did not contain such info. IMO, even if there was a backfire, it shouldn't be enough to ignite the air filter but then again, i could be wrong as Honda must have put the backfire protector/cage insert in the filter for a reason?:confused:

thanks in advance for any help!

motofreak2772
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I use a UNI and it fits fine. Idk what backfire cage you are talking about, I always thought the cage was to keep the filter from getting sucked in, and so it would keep its shape. Idk either way its not a problem. I dont see any reason not to get a UNI and I dont see a reason not to get a sparks haha. I guess just get w.e. they are just filters it wont really be a problem. UNI specializes in filters where as sparks does other things so I guess that could be a reason to get UNI.
How does it backfire through the filter though? Ive heard of gas coming through but it actually ignighting? Let me see a picture and if it did happen I dont think a little cage would prevent the filter from catching on fire. I wouldnt waste time modding the stock filter anyways just go ahead and buy one.

crday98
05-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
I use a UNI and it fits fine. Idk what backfire cage you are talking about, I always thought the cage was to keep the filter from getting sucked in, and so it would keep its shape. Idk either way its not a problem. I dont see any reason not to get a UNI and I dont see a reason not to get a sparks haha. I guess just get w.e. they are just filters it wont really be a problem. UNI specializes in filters where as sparks does other things so I guess that could be a reason to get UNI.
How does it backfire through the filter though? Ive heard of gas coming through but it actually ignighting? Let me see a picture and if it did happen I dont think a little cage would prevent the filter from catching on fire. I wouldnt waste time modding the stock filter anyways just go ahead and buy one.

here is a pic of just one of the cases i heard of this happening. from what i gather, a backfire through the intake is what caused the filters to catch fire.
http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/06erdj45O/Fire/PICT0001.jpg

although i can't confirm 100% for sure but i was under the impression that the purpose of the metal insert for the filter was a flame arrestor instead of simply being a structural piece to prevent the filter from compression and sucking in the intake. it may serve two purposes and be a combination of both but i believe that if it was simply there to provide a structural purpose, they certainly would have designed it to be much less restrictive?? any site i have been on referred to the screen insert as a flame arrestor. as for how it would prevent the filter from catching on fire..... the screen in spark arrested exhausts contain much less restriction and yet they still do their job. :confused:

fastredrider44
05-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
I always thought the cage was to keep the filter from getting sucked in, and so it would keep its shape.

That's what I've always thought. The carbs suck pretty hard on these bikes.

UNI is all I will run on my bikes. That with either FAB-1 spray or FFT, both from Maxima. Just make sure to keep a clean air filter. Your valves will thank you.:devil:

As for catching your filter on fire, I'd say that doesn't happen very often.

kenny450er
05-09-2010, 07:57 PM
i also agree they suck alot of air but when you think about it i feel for the pepole whos rides that back fired an burnt but this is why its so important to do maintance valve lash when your valves are to tight and you ignor it they will not close all the way and top with a poorly maintned carb = fire........