PDA

View Full Version : Crack in my flywheel side case

Rebel lt250r
05-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Crack in my flywheel side case, i have the piece that fits in there, should i go with jb weld, or anybody recommend anything else? Jerkin you got some input?

jerkin
05-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Sure, JB weld will never hold it, too much vibration. Been there, done that. Only way to make it right is to weld it and since you have the piece that broke out it shouldn't be a big deal as long as you have someone local that welds aluminum. Yank the flywheel and stator before you take it in so that they can clean the inside if need be. If it were me I would also pull the cdi off the frame just to be safe. Some welders will tell you it will be fine and some will tell you to remove it. Better safe than sorry with a $400 part.

JB weld would hold it for a little while but eventually it will crack and you will lose the piece then it will cost twice as much to fix because the shop will have to cut a new piece out of flat stock to put in there. Have it done right the first time and you'll never have to worry about it again. If they tell you more than $35-40 call another shop. If you have a welding school or vocational school around you they would probably do it for $20.