PDA

View Full Version : Any tips on getting out a frozen swinarm bolt

tinner
05-09-2010, 12:26 AM
I am working on a 450r with a stuck swingarm bolt. I need to get it out. Any tips ? I have done this on a 400ex and it wasn't pretty. If there's something I haven't tried....I'd like to know. Thanks

quadbod
05-09-2010, 12:49 AM
What have you tried already?

Soak it in penetrating fluid and beat it out!:devil:

tinner
05-09-2010, 07:22 AM
I found out it was stuck last night. Hit it with fluid and beat on it. Applied some heat to it too. The last time I did this I had to destroy a swing arm to get things apart. I am looking for alternatives and suggestions, if there are any.

PaRedneckRiders
05-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I would spray it good with pb blaster then Put the swing arm nut back on loosely and smack it wit a hammer if that doesnt work apply heat and beat with hammer
note: dont apply heat and pb blaster right after each other, that causes fire
I figured that out the hard way when i wasnt paying attention to what i was doing

Have someone try and pry out on the other side with a large screwdriver or pry bar and see if that works

kfx400rider03
05-10-2010, 06:50 PM
when you take the nut off put a wrench on the bolt its self and turn and twist that. hit the nut end with a hammer. (with the nut on so you dont mess up the threads.) and alot of pb blaster. but keep turning the bolt its self when you hit it.
i found it also helps to take the shock off the shock linkage so there isnt any other pessure on it making it hard. but have it up on a stand so the swing arm is hanging with the tires on the ground a tiny bit

levonskinator
05-12-2010, 06:40 AM
i wouldn't worry about trying to save the bolt, I rather buy a $30 bolt than a $150+ swing arm. Take an air chisel and break off any exposed races. Then get an air hammer and just lean into the bolt with it. For me, it took about a half hour of just leaning into the bolt with the air hammer for it to finally come out. My problem with heat is that the swing arm and cases are right there and i don't want the heat to warp or weaken the cases, swing arm, or the transmission.

dvx400_boy
05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
well if its rusted my dad and i use this stuff called krylon or kringon or something like that. its like WD-40 for rusted stuff

or just WD-40 the **** outta it ahah

tinner
05-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I was just out there again trying to get it loose. Still no luck and alot of soaking. Looks like I am buying an air hammer tomorrow. I am suprised that it is that frozen, the bike is pretty clean. I guess you never can tell.

witech
05-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Drill the bolt out and buy a new one .

tinner
05-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Got it! Thanks for the air hammer helped a bunch and so did some drilling.