PDA

View Full Version : just picked up a '86 250r

tsaun987
05-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Drove all the way to louisiana from houston to pick it up. I've always loved the look of the 250r, and needless to say I've been wanting one for a looooong time! Not real sure whats been done to it. Seems pretty stock other than the fmf pipe. I love this thing, it's in great condition IMO for being 24yrs old. Pretty quick too :D

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m166/tsaun987/IMG_0006.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m166/tsaun987/IMG_0001-1.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m166/tsaun987/IMG_0009.jpg
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m166/tsaun987/IMG_0010.jpg

croat1
05-08-2010, 11:16 PM
congrat's on the purchase and welcome the to the R community.
that is a 87 frame. if i may ask how much was it?

red88r
05-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Looks in good shape man. You are going to fall in love with this quad. Keep us posted with any mods or if you decide to restore or rebuild it. Feel free to ask any questions you might have..there are alot of knowledgable people on here.

tsaun987
05-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by croat1
congrat's on the purchase and welcome the to the R community.
that is a 87 frame. if i may ask how much was it?

Thanks man! The guy told me it was an 86, so I guess he was wrong :grr:
haha oh well. I paid $850 for it. Thought it was a good deal :D

Thanks red88r! First thing I'll do to it is +2 a arms (probably jdperformance), and both front and rear shocks. It's hard going from a machine with extended a arms back to driving stock suspension! Any rec's on shocks? Don't want to spend a boat load of money on 'em...
tyler

250rPRIDE
05-09-2010, 09:15 AM
nice bike.. it is a 87 frame like others told you but who cares for that price you still got a very good deal.. if your looking to save money look around on this site for a arms and shocks people are always selling them for a fraction of retail price.. that goes for almost anything your looking for.. anyways nice r and have some fun with it.

Trxjim
05-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Where do you ride at in the houston area. I live up on 290 and barker cypress. I work in the oil field so im not in town alot. Ive been living here for just over a year now. By the way I just bought a new set of 3+ arms for my new build and will probably be getting ride of the old arms. They are 2+ LSR. The powder coat is crap and the ball joints/heim/tie-rod ends are all shot. Replace them though and you know what you got.

skyeryder
05-09-2010, 10:27 AM
is there only half a case saver there???? be careful with that...
Nice quad welcome to the R family, it's addicting....

within a year I had a couple more

1promodfan
05-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Thats a nice looking 250R you've got. Sounds like you got a great deal on it. Any questions feel free to ask. Also check out www.everything2stroke.com There's tons on info on 2-strokes and a lot of great guys over there.

tsaun987
05-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Thanks again guys. I'll be sure to ask PLENTY of questions!!! Yeah, half of the case saver is gone. I'll pick up a new one pretty soon. Just got back from a short ride, and noticed a little bit of oil had dripped onto the lower part of the motor, close to where the pipe is attached. Any thoughts? Also, it seems a bit hesitant in the lower rpm range, but if I get on it, it'll get up and go. I'm planning on taking it in to the Honda of Houston to have them check it out for me. They have always been super friendly and helpful to me.

Another thing that i've noticed is the kick start. From time to time i can push it all the way down w/o it trying to fire. If I angle the kick in towards the motor, it'll fire right up.

Thanks for the help guys
Tyler

tsaun987
05-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Trxjim
Where do you ride at in the houston area. I live up on 290 and barker cypress. I work in the oil field so im not in town alot. Ive been living here for just over a year now. By the way I just bought a new set of 3+ arms for my new build and will probably be getting ride of the old arms. They are 2+ LSR. The powder coat is crap and the ball joints/heim/tie-rod ends are all shot. Replace them though and you know what you got.

I mainly ride behind my house. Got plenty of trails, straight aways, and a few small jumps. You?

250rPRIDE
05-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by tsaun987
Thanks again guys. I'll be sure to ask PLENTY of questions!!! Yeah, half of the case saver is gone. I'll pick up a new one pretty soon. Just got back from a short ride, and noticed a little bit of oil had dripped onto the lower part of the motor, close to where the pipe is attached. Any thoughts? Also, it seems a bit hesitant in the lower rpm range, but if I get on it, it'll get up and go. I'm planning on taking it in to the Honda of Houston to have them check it out for me. They have always been super friendly and helpful to me.

Another thing that i've noticed is the kick start. From time to time i can push it all the way down w/o it trying to fire. If I angle the kick in towards the motor, it'll fire right up.

Thanks for the help guys
Tyler

thats leak is just a bad exhaust gasket, its very common, best fix is some good high heat o-rings with high heat sillicon. i just use the silicon alone anymore, works good for me, just put a heavy bead on the exhaust flange then slide your pipe on, you want it to ooze out, but not on the inside of the pipe, and the reason you probably have this leak is because your way to rich on your jetting, and thats also causing your low end power output problems, but remember this is a 2-stroke rip it and rev it out, dont put around and depend on low end torque like a 4-popper.. ha youll learn. run a really good synthetic oil with good fuel too. its best to learn about jetting on your own a dealer doesnt have the time and everything to fine tune a r jetting changes with elev, temp, mods, etc... have fun with it

tsaun987
05-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks man, that's very helpful! I was pretty sure I was lean and this confirmed it for me. I'm still new to the world of quads, especially 2 strokes. I took my 400ex out after I got done riding my 250r, and I was amazed at the dfference! The R is Soooo much quicker! This thing is an absolute blast to drive. Now I know what I've been missing this whole time!!

What do you think about the problem I'm having wth the kick start? I mean it's not a big deal to me at all, it fires up first kick everytime, but every now and then it doesn't catch...