PDA

View Full Version : my first 400ex, but has a few issues..

stangboy88
05-08-2010, 10:46 PM
so i just got my first 400ex about a week ago for 1100 dollars and has a few mods from wut ive been researching, thanks to the introductions to this website a few days ago. but has a few issues with it as my brother and uncle have been helping me go through this thing. mods are:

housser stem and handle bar
housser A arms
itp hole shots
170 main, 42 pilot
white bros r4 pipe
cafd swing arm, which i have have no luck finding anything about
after market front bumper and nerf bars
fat pegs
full aluminum skids
14t front stock back
no air bow lid

now for the issues:
runnin rich
smokes on startup but goes away after it warms up, but still smokes a little when accelerating hard
leaks oil through valve cover, found one broke bolt, 3 stripped, three different size heads on bolts, some had allen heads and a phillips
bad tie rod end
lands hard off of jumps like its bottoming out
had a bad rear master and caliper but got the master cylinder and have seals for caliper on the way and need pads
i also bought a new chain 14t front and 38 back

tell me wutcha think any suggested comments or solutions r a help

bigbad400
05-09-2010, 06:30 AM
running rich would have symptoms other than smoke generally. sounds like bad rings or valve seals.

u need to find a set of valve cover bolts and make sure they are all the same and have the proper torque.

if you are on stock shocks or have the shocks set wrong or are not set for your weight etc. its gonna bottom out. what are we looking at here, stock? aftermarkets?

stangboy88
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
well some of the holes for the valve cover bolts are stripped out and im pretty sure the shocks are stock

stangboy88
05-09-2010, 05:44 PM
so i get to putting the carb back on as i just cleaned it, and ajusted the valves. get it all goin and try to start it, solenoid pops. hooked up battery charger got it started, now it idles for a min or two and shuts off. and when i give it gas it pops crackles and misses. i also discovered the rear axle is wobbly and has alot of play. tried to tighten everything up with no luc of fixing. and the smoke i had before is now coming out of the fronat and back of the tail pipe..........now im thinking my awsome deal i found is goin to be sold, it just needs way too much work, but not sure can someone please help!!!! im ready to buy 5 gallons of gas and set the quad on fire but im not sure its worth the money in gas or a match...????????

stangboy88
05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
so spark plugs are getting covered in oil, so i decided im just gonna tear it apart, heck i dont know wuts in it anyways. i get down to the piston, clean the carbon off and see 4667M08900 xc, so i look it up online...if im correct it matches a wiseco 440 11:1. can anyone confirm and if so wut exacly am i dealing with?? ive read a lil bit about them but overheating can be a problem??? the piston and sleeve were in great shape but it needs rings piston looks new. i think wrist pin needs replaced. so how exactly is the best way tyo with this

o and i need to know kind of cam, it has a W and a B on opposite sides from each other but thats the only stamping i can find

jasonwayne222
05-11-2010, 09:47 PM
change your valve seals while ur at it.

Cbeasley
05-13-2010, 08:21 PM
if its a 440 i suggest GTT HD studs and with stock carb jetting shouldnt be over 160 main and 42 pilot

stangboy88
05-13-2010, 08:40 PM
i ordered new rings, top end comitec gasket kit with valve seals and wrist pin and circlips. they'll be here tomorrow and start the putting back together. found out its also been ported and polished.i also tapped all the valve cover bolt holes up one size and turned out very good. but can any one give me a hint as to wut carb or cam is in this thing

Snipe
05-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Cbeasley
if its a 440 i suggest GTT HD studs and with stock carb jetting shouldnt be over 160 main and 42 pilot

every bike is different im running on a 178 main and 45 pilot for my 400ex with the stock carb and its flawless.

Snipe
05-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by stangboy88
i ordered new rings, top end comitec gasket kit with valve seals and wrist pin and circlips. they'll be here tomorrow and start the putting back together. found out its also been ported and polished.i also tapped all the valve cover bolt holes up one size and turned out very good. but can any one give me a hint as to wut carb or cam is in this thing

Only cam I can think of that WB would stand for is White Brothers as they did make cams but I have not actually held a White Brothers cam in my hand so I cannot say for sure.

The best identification for carb is a picture of it. Most likely I say its probably still stock.