PDA

View Full Version : chain type.

Honda4life05
05-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Hey guys i need help deciding on which chain to get. I broke mine today luckily with no case damage. I'm looking to get either an o-ring or non o-ring chain. which is better? x ring is just to expensive. and i will also be replacing the sprockets. thanks

ZBlaster
05-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
Hey guys i need help deciding on which chain to get. I broke mine today luckily with no case damage. I'm looking to get either an o-ring or non o-ring chain. which is better? x ring is just to expensive. and i will also be replacing the sprockets. thanks

D.I.D. X-ring is all I will run. Tried a Renthal and broke it first race :rolleyes: Never had any issues in 3 seasons with D.I.D.

fastredrider44
05-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ZBlaster
D.I.D. X-ring is all I will run. Tried a Renthal and broke it first race :rolleyes: Never had any issues in 3 seasons with D.I.D.

3 Seasons? :huh I run X-rings too, but I change mine out a few times a year with new sprockets. As far as the original question, at least go for the o-ring. You should be able to find one for around 50 bucks or so.

Honda4life05
05-09-2010, 10:11 AM
alright thanks, i'm getting one from RM today so it's here by the weekend.

DnB_racing
05-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
3 Seasons? :huh I run X-rings too, but I change mine out a few times a year with new sprockets. As far as the original question, at least go for the o-ring. You should be able to find one for around 50 bucks or so. You should be getting longer than that out of your chain and sprokets unless running in mud all the time I do mine once a season(200 hours or so) and have never seen any major stretching or wear I do lube after every wash and before every ride I change mine way before it needs it but i wouldnt want to ruin my case

fastredrider44
05-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm an XC racer. My bike lives in the mud. :p

DnB_racing
05-09-2010, 06:45 PM
even with the mud if you take chain off and soak in kerosene you should get a season out off chain. I do understand better safe than sorry and if you can afford 3 new chains then I say change, but if in a pinch just soak one and run one and swap them out

ZBlaster
05-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
3 Seasons? :huh I run X-rings too, but I change mine out a few times a year with new sprockets. As far as the original question, at least go for the o-ring. You should be able to find one for around 50 bucks or so.

I should have rephrased that, I've been running D.I.D. chains for 3 years, not the same chain.

I change chain/sprockets 3 to 4 times per season.

Honda4life05
05-10-2010, 10:45 AM
I ended up getting the X Ring. i race mx so it should last awhile.

DnB_racing
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
just because you race mx dont think that the chain will last forever. Its a piece of equipment that is often overlooked and it takes a lot off abuse and should be change out every few hundred hours.It will save you money in the long run

fastredrider44
05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by ZBlaster
I should have rephrased that, I've been running D.I.D. chains for 3 years, not the same chain.

I change chain/sprockets 3 to 4 times per season.

Gotcha;)