PDA

View Full Version : bearing shims?? help!!!

250rPRIDE
05-08-2010, 05:48 PM
took out my front wheel bearing and the inner (larger) bearing had what i call a shim between the inner race and the spindle, i thought it was just because the bearings were bad and someone rigged them, but my brand new ones are a little loose on the spindle too. my spindles look good and the outter bearing fits good and tight.. so whats up with this? is it common? and where do you get these shim's, how do you install them.. feel free to give any other tips as well..

thanks

Honda 250r 001
05-10-2010, 09:20 AM
those little spacers inside the two bearings are suppose to be there. They keep the bearings from binding when you torque them down.

250rPRIDE
05-10-2010, 01:12 PM
this was only on the inner or larger wheel bearing.. where the inner race fits on the spindle itself its loose, the outter or smaller bearing fits the spindle nice and snug. but as i said when i removed the bigger one it had some type of the spindle shim or what ever your want to call it, it was very thin and went between the bearing and the spindle. not sure if your talking about the same part but i wouldnt call it a spacer.. mabe the are factory shims but mine didnt look like it.. i dont know i still need to get it fix though.. please help haaa

atvmxr
05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
i think we need pics...

on a 88 250R (if its still has the 88 spindles) you dont have the tapered spacer between the inner and outter bearing. the spindle stud has a step in it, which is the support for the outer bearing. it took me 3 sets of hubs to figure out the 88 are not the same as the 89. but thats a sidebar

I have no idea about these spacers you are talking about. need pics

250rPRIDE
05-10-2010, 05:47 PM
haa they are NOT spacer's they are shims to fill the small gap (i am talking thousands) between the inner race of the inner bearing where it rides on the spindle, if there is no shim there, i have play when i slide the bearing on to spindle..i dont have pics of how it was because i threw away all the old parts, thinking my new bearings would have been tight on the spindle. i dont know of any other way to explain this.. yes i have all 88 parts with 88 bearings not 89.

ok if you had a 1/2" steel rod and a 9/16" collar, slide the collar on the rod and its loose, your 1/16" to loose, so a 1/32" gap needs to be filled all the way around, so thats the size of a shim you would need, hense when i put my bearing on my spindle its loose where it should be fitting tight and making good contact.
it does not need spaced in or out (left or right).
and my bearings are the right ones, also the spindles dont show any wear.. so i dont know what the hecks going on... the outter bearings fit great on the spindle

but hopefully this helps, and thanks.. :D

muddymess
05-10-2010, 06:37 PM
i just looked at the shop manual and don't see anything about a "shim" don't see anything on the exploded view of the front hub either. I just did my 87 wheel bearings and it didn't have anything like that.

atvmxr
05-10-2010, 06:39 PM
yeah sorry man, I have no fuggin idea. my 88 doesnt have any collars like what you are talking about...

time for T-pins!! :D

jk hopefully some else can help

atvmxr
05-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by muddymess
i just looked at the shop manual and don't see anything about a "shim" don't see anything on the exploded view of the front hub either. I just did my 87 wheel bearings and it didn't have anything like that.

86-87 are different than 88 or 89. they use the same bearing on the inner and outter

muddymess
05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
true but i was looking at 88 in the shop manual and parts view and it didnt list anything

250rPRIDE
05-10-2010, 07:01 PM
thanks for checking on this for my guys... idk what to do the old bearings i took out had these thin tin like shims to fill the play on the spindle shaft, they were all rusted up and junk and i thought it was just a rig job but they served a point, new bearings do the same thing just loose on the spindle. i dont see any wear on the spindles and cant afford new ones so i dont know what to do here.. keep thinking!!! ha:D

atvmxr
05-10-2010, 11:54 PM
well its simple and its complicated...:blah:

no shims/collars from the factory on the 250r so something is off...

either the spindle stud is very worn, its a 400ex or etc. spindle, or the spindle stud has been replaced (see hardkore engineering) and the conversion from english stud to metric bearing requires a spacer.

why do you think the spindles are new/unworn??

croat1
05-11-2010, 12:48 AM
what you need is "shim stock". available at places like Mcmaster carr or Grainger (industrial supply companies). they offer all kinds of shim stock. or you can also look up to see if Loctite Corp. offers anything. most likely just order some shim stock from mcmaster carr.

visually the spindles can look good but in reality they can be worn say (.0015/.001). usually you cannot see this with the naked eye.
mic up the spindle and then measure the bearing id. that should tell you what shim stock to get.

250rPRIDE
05-11-2010, 02:01 PM
croat1 thanks a lot that is what i am looking for, any install tips?
anyways i am sorry i have not been able to get to my shop to look this all over again, but i did and i took the caliper and yes my spindles are worn :grr: they are .782 where the bearing rides and tappers out to .787 (hard to see with your eye) and the innner bearing race is .787 and they were in the freezer, but its also like 34 here in pa today so they shouldnt be far off. so yeah i need to make up the .005 so i will need a .0025 shim... thanks for all the help and sorry i didnt do all this before i started the thread. ha

86 Quad R
05-11-2010, 03:58 PM
are these stock spindles? if so why not get another "good" set and go with that?

250rPRIDE
05-11-2010, 06:17 PM
yes there are and i am not cheap and dont want to cheap out but this project that i wanted to have 3000 max into, is already 1000 over that without touching my motor and a few other odds n ends. so if i can shim them for a buck or two why not? they were tight before i just want all new bearings in the whole bike..