PDA

View Full Version : tranny oil change question

cant400exbeatit
05-08-2010, 04:04 PM
hey guys. I have a 2008 450r. Here's my problem. After i drain both the engine and tranny oil....i take out the tranny oil level check bolt...and oil continues to flow out of it. I don't understand why this is happening after all the oil was drained out?? I appreciate any help.

Wayner
05-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Are you sure you drained both cavities and just not the crandcase? The crandcase drain bolt is on the bottom of the motor and the trans drain bolt is on the right hand side near the foot peg. Shouldn't have anything coming out of the check bolt. Maybe your thinking the check bolt is really the drain bolt? The check bolt takes a phillips head screwdriver to remove.

d3ktrix
05-08-2010, 07:12 PM
On the 06+ the tranny drain bolt is on the left side of the engine by the sprocket.
Crank case drain on the bottom of the engine.

On the 04-05's the tranny drain is on the right side by the foot peg.

DnB_racing
05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
you can also take you crank case end cap off to see your oil level as its higher then the check hole

DnB_racing
05-08-2010, 07:43 PM
on the 08 the check bolt isn't a Philips i believe it's a number 8 hex head maybe 10mm

cant400exbeatit
05-09-2010, 12:58 AM
yes i drained both cavities....i know the engine oil drain plug is on the bottom of the motor and the tranny oil drain plug is on the left side of the motor. i've changed oil in this thing at least 10 times and oil still comes out of the tranny oil level check hole from day one. i don't understand why....so i need some help. thanks guys.

Oz24
05-09-2010, 08:10 PM
do you need to replace an o-ring?

Scro
05-09-2010, 08:20 PM
If you take the drain bolt out and let the oil drain, there's physically no way it's still coming out of the check bolt. Are you saying that you drain the tranny, fill it up with the amount specified in the manual, and then take the check bolt out? That's the only explanation I can think of. The amounts given in the manual are for if the tranny is completely dry. If you were to just drain it and put that amount in, it would be too much.

DnB_racing
05-09-2010, 08:22 PM
are you saying that when your oil is totally drained from both sides that oil still seeps from check hole? if so it sounds like you struck oil lol, seriously though if oil is still coming out then there is still oil in the motor, are you changing oil that has been warmed up?If your running thick oil it takes a long time to drain and has to be warmed up to get it out

cant400exbeatit
05-10-2010, 07:25 AM
yes...after i warm it up and take it for a short ride...i then drain BOTH sides....i take the check bolt out before i begin to fill tranny side and oil is already coming out of the check hole. I can't figure it out. It seems like oil is being held in the tranny somewhere and it's not getting drained??

DnB_racing
05-10-2010, 07:38 AM
try checking when cold by removing the crank shaft end cap its higher than the check hole to see actual level if oil comes out of the end cap than its to full. do you have a aftermarket clutch cover? Or It could be that when you drain its vapor locked if your breather hose is plugged it might not let all the oil drain, try removing the filler cap while draining to see if that makes any difference

cant400exbeatit
05-10-2010, 08:56 AM
clutch cover is factory. I will try removing the filler cap next time. I just can't understand how oil is still that high up in the tranny after it was drained that it seeps out of the check hole. Thanks for the help

DnB_racing
05-17-2010, 06:12 PM
what did you find the problem was?

cant400exbeatit
05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
The last time i changed oil (2 weeks ago) is when i posted the question on here...and i haven't changed it since. I am going on a big ride this weekend so i will change it after that and try taking the filler cap off to make sure it's not vapor locking. Thanks for the help..i'll keep ya posted.

...a few days ago i took the crank case end cap off to check the tranny oil level...it was just a little high...i drained some out. So at least i know there's enough in there.

450r07
05-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Is your oil steadily draining out or just a little bit of it seeping out? I have been thinking about it and looking in my service manual and i don't believe there is any way that you can still have oil coming out of the check hole if you are for sure that you drained both sides. It is just physically not possible. There has to be something that you are forgetting if this is happening every time. I ride and race with a lot of people who have trx450r's and have never heard of this happening to anyone. Also i just had my engine rebuilt because of my Rod bearing going out on it and my builder told me that you should change your oil every four to six hours. Unless you are racing then you should do it every two hours of race time. ( this is just a good rule of thumb, and i know it seems a little much but can cost you way less in the long run)

DnB_racing
05-18-2010, 03:14 AM
that's probably whats happening is something is keeping it from draining all the way, that's what he is trying to figure out is why something like that would happen.

cant400exbeatit
05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
It's steadily draining. I know it sounds physically impossible, that's why i'm asking on here because i can't figure it out either. my oil never gets more than 5 hours of ride time on it, unless i go on a ride all weekend...then i change it after that. Next time i change it i'm gonna make sure the tranny oil gets HOT first, and take the fill cap off to make sure it's not vapor locking. thanks.

Z-135
05-18-2010, 02:36 PM
The problem is there are two drain plugs for the tranny. It is not shown in the book but there is another one on the same side to the left of the tranny plug. It is a long bolt. I had the same problem with my 08. My friend have 07's and they only have one plug. Not sure why they are different!