PDA

View Full Version : cam chain problem

nj1978
05-08-2010, 09:44 AM
well i tore apart my whole motor to heli coil my head bolts holes ,went to change all my gaskets ,didnt pay attention, and my cam chain slipped off of the bottom wheel. is there any way to do this besides takin the whole side apart to get to it. and is there anything i should be looking to do when i reassmble everything?can i just put it all back together or do i have to do the tdc adjustment?

hjsmith00843
05-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by nj1978
well i tore apart my whole motor to heli coil my head bolts holes ,went to change all my gaskets ,didnt pay attention, and my cam chain slipped off of the bottom wheel. is there any way to do this besides takin the whole side apart to get to it. and is there anything i should be looking to do when i reassmble everything?can i just put it all back together or do i have to do the tdc adjustment?

If you can fish the chain back onto the gear with something you will not have to tear the side apart. I did the same thing and I used a thin tent spike. Maybe take a clothes hanger to fish it out with and try to walk it onto the gear

Make sure before trying to do this to take the cam chain tensioner off. It will not let you if you don't.

You will still need to set the timing with the TDC method no matter what. Better to make sure than to have a guess and it not be correct and then have to do double work getting it fixed.

You will need to make a little tool to put the tensioner back on though. I made mine from a ink pin clip.