PDA

View Full Version : Need help

lil_watz_ex
05-07-2010, 03:10 PM
I took the quad around the yard today and as I was riding I heard an awful noise coming from the motor. (it sounded like the brakes locked up but i checked and it wasn't the brakes.) anyways, i let it cool and thought I better check the oil and as i took the cap off oil came back out. I pushed the bike back to the garage and all the while it made the sound, any help as to what it is or could be is appreciated.

Thanks

honda400ex2003
05-07-2010, 04:57 PM
most likely it is over filled. empty it all out of the tank, crank, and the filter and put 1.5 quarts in it. start it up and let it run for a bit. a couple of minutes will be fine. then add the rest of the second quart to it. that should be plenty. I guess that would be my first guess if oil came out of the tank, you dont hear of that too often. lol. steve

lil_watz_ex
05-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks I will try that tomorrow and see if that helps. Why do you think it is making that sound?

honda400ex2003
05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
possibly too much pressure built up in the crank case causing the piston to slap a bit or the timing to become slightly off temporarily. just a guess though lol. steve

lil_watz_ex
05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
well i just repacked my exhaust the night before because all of the packing was gone so I am assuming that is where the pressure came from. i have drained the oil and replaced the filter, will I need to have someone look at the quad to see if I need to have the piston replaced or the timing adjusted or should the oil change fix the situation?

honda400ex2003
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
If it does it again then I would say that you will be needing rings. steve