PDA

View Full Version : sorry another cam question

rynb15
05-07-2010, 12:35 AM
So i was told there is a hotcam stage 2 in my bike. I dont know if thats true or not. I am wanting to adjust the valves. But i heard the valve gap is different with different cams. if i pull the head off the bike will the cam have hotcams stamped on it somewhere? or a way to tell if its stock? Also can i reuse the head gasket? Or if there is a better way to go about this i will gladly listen. Thanks

2006 400ex slsd
05-07-2010, 01:50 AM
well normaly when u have a after market cam the engine makes a loud like knoking type of noise does it do that:)

flyboy1294
05-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Yes: The Valve tolerences are slightly different for a Hotcam. One second and I'll search and see if I can help you out...
EDIT: Hotcam reccommends in their manuel .005 for the intake valves, and .006 for the exhaust.

Yes: If you pull the valve cover off the cam will have "HotCams" stamped on one side. If it is a stage 2, it should have "HC NO:013" on it.

No: Do not reuse the headgasket. You might be able to get away with it, but normally it will not seat correctly and you'll just wind up pulling it off and putting a new one on.

rynb15
05-07-2010, 11:02 AM
yes the engine does nock thats what got me thinking to adjust the valves. The reason i started thinking it might not be in there was because the carb had stock jets in it. will a stock bike with a stage 2 cam run with stock jetting? flyboy thanks for the valve spacing info.

flyboy1294
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by rynb15
yes the engine does nock thats what got me thinking to adjust the valves. The reason i started thinking it might not be in there was because the carb had stock jets in it. will a stock bike with a stage 2 cam run with stock jetting? flyboy thanks for the valve spacing info.

Adjusting the vavles is the first thing that should be done when you engine ticks. However, Hotcams do make them tick a little bit more than stock.

Does your bike have and exhaust or airfilter or anything? Or is it literally entirely stock?

I have never installed a cam without making other upgrades also, so I cannot say for certain what changes in jetting it would make, but I imagine it would be significant. A cam allows more fuel and air to go into the chamber which causes a bigger explosion, thus creating more power. So knowing that, I would say that bigger jets would be added with the carb to increase the air/fuel ratio.

Do you know for certain that the jets are stock?

rynb15
05-07-2010, 11:30 AM
ok i just got the bike. the guy told me it had stage 2 cam, and jetted for it as well. it seemed to run fine. I put a slip on pipe on the other day. I opened up the card to see what jets were in it. The were stock 38slow and 148 main. Thats what got me thinking the guy was full of **** about the cam. I put in a 155main and the bike seems to run fine now.

jcs003
05-07-2010, 01:24 PM
you might not have to make signifigant jetting changes with a cam swap. depending what cam and the valve timing changes involved. one thing is usually necessary with a cam swap. better valve springs and keepers. but if im doing all this i am putting in new valve seats and lapping the valve seats.

flyboy1294
05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I guess it's 'possible' that it has a cam in it. However, I think it is unlikely that they went to all the trouble to open up the engine when they left the pipe and air filter stock. But everyone is different. Open it up and see for yourself. :macho

flyboy1294
05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I guess it's 'possible' that it has a cam in it. However, I think it is unlikely that they went to all the trouble to open up the engine when they left the pipe and air filter stock. But everyone is different. Open it up and see for yourself. :macho