PDA

View Full Version : Going back to MX 450r, need some advice and opinions

jjv101
05-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Well i am selling my LTR and going to a MX 450r. Right now ive come accross two that have peaked my interest, both similar in price. Just want some opinions on whats better to go with and opinions on the engine compenents

450r #1:
-Walsh A arms with fox evols
-JB 1.25 swing arm with PEP rear
ENGINE wise: (i guess its a RAGE built Motor)
-New OEM honda crank,cylinder, bearings etc
-NEW OEM honda clutch and components
-Rage Port & Polish, Shaved head
-Titanium Intake and exhaust valves and springs
-13:1 piston
-Stage 2 cam
-DASA exhaust
-07 dasa bored (43.5) FCR Carb.
-Vortex CDI

450r #2:
-Leager +2 A arms with Ohlins
-stock swing arm with LSR DC-6 link and Fox Podium X
Engine Wise:
-Port and Polished head
-Dasa Exhaust
-14:1 CP piston
-208 webb cam
- +1 valves and High rev springs
- 5 angle valve job
-Dasa bored carb

Edit: Might as well add another
450r #3:
-JB A arms with fox evols
-JB swing arm with fox podium x
Engine wise:
-13:1 Pistion
-Fereo Vavles, exhaust valve cut
-Suppodly a Gergs atv head :Port and Polish and idk what else
-webb 208 cam
***Guy cant tell me too much or cant remember everything so im not sure** Hes asking $6500 OBO

also my riding styling is well obviously MX track. plan on doing some faircross (areas style). I am more of a mid/bottom end person so i dont need something that revs to the moon and back! Just want the best bang for my buck and something i really wont have to change too much on (other than normal maint.

obviously theres more done to these quads, but these are the main points!

both are very very close in price, which would be the better deal to go with??

Scro
05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
From my experiences, the 2005 motors are more reliable, especially when you're talking about built motors. Unless the 2007 has 04/05 spindles and hubs, the 2005 is probably going to handle better when you have the shocks setup for your weight. Without seeing them, I would be leaning more toward the 2005. But it may be a different case if I were to see how clean they were, and how well the maintanence was kept.

jjv101
05-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Scro
From my experiences, the 2005 motors are more reliable, especially when you're talking about built motors. Unless the 2007 has 04/05 spindles and hubs, the 2005 is probably going to handle better when you have the shocks setup for your weight. Without seeing them, I would be leaning more toward the 2005. But it may be a different case if I were to see how clean they were, and how well the maintanence was kept.

will post pictures up of both here in a minute. They are both pretty clean. Im just looking for the best bang for my buck!

also my riding styling is well obviously MX track. plan on doing some faircross (areas style). I am more of a mid/bottom end person so i dont need something that revs to the moon and back!

elementryder
05-06-2010, 08:03 PM
i believe that the 06+ motors are snappier and rev a bit quicker, but from the 2 bikes the 05 has the best of the best componets on compaired to the 07

jjv101
05-06-2010, 08:06 PM
2005:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/motofox77/05mx450r.jpg

2007:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/motofox77/07mx450r.jpg

2004:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/motofox77/04mx450r.jpg

Scro
05-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Both of them look nice. I think I would still go for the 2005.

Scro
05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by elementryder
i believe that the 06+ motors are snappier and rev a bit quicker, but from the 2 bikes the 05 has the best of the best componets on compaired to the 07

Stock for stock, that is true about the 06 motors being more snappy. But it's mostly due to the FCR that comes on them stock. Since the 05 has an FCR installed, they should feel very similar as far as power delivery goes.

jjv101
05-06-2010, 08:37 PM
scro- you are a wealth of knowledge and a big help. Idk what to do sometimes, and like i said just want the best bang for the buck thats gonna put me me in front...that way i can blame the machine and can only blame myself

anyway i added and 04 to the original post and pictures of the 04 to the photo post lol

Butter
05-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Hands down, the '05. Best parts, best looking IMO, and I would go with an '05 over an '06+. But again, I've ridden both styles (both very well setup) and liked the '05 better.

jjv101
05-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Butter- if i may ask, how were they set up and what do you pick the 05 over the 06+?

and i will agree it does seem like the 05 as a few better parts than the 07, both look very similar. IM thinking that 05 will look SICK NASTY with soem spastic grapics that are white, blue and orange! id like some Pep Pb1's on the front though...but i did some research and from what ppl are saying those Ohlins are up there with peps and some say better than fox.. so idk not much info on em

fhrtrx450r33
05-07-2010, 07:59 AM
I know that top 05 that you have pictured. Im not sure who owns it now but it was Brandon Jones quad and he won I believe the 08 Production A and 16/24 classes at Nationals. Pulled many holeshot and if its still his motor it is definitly a Rage motor. I would buy that quad for sure

jjv101
05-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by fhrtrx450r33
I know that top 05 that you have pictured. Im not sure who owns it now but it was Brandon Jones quad and he won I believe the 08 Production A and 16/24 classes at Nationals. Pulled many holeshot and if its still his motor it is definitly a Rage motor. I would buy that quad for sure

yeh it use to be Brandon Jones quad. Seems like alot of motor works been done and done right. however the owner now cant give me brands or some specific things i was askking (such as what brand valves,piston, springs) It is a rage motor still. Guess theres roughtly 30hrs on the motor and shocks...so it should still have some life left on it!

fastredrider44
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
30hrs on a high end 450 motor like that is quite a bit. I def. like it the most out of the 3. I'm still running 05s by the way. It's just a smoother bike IMO, even though all I race is XC.

jjv101
05-07-2010, 11:34 AM
story goes the son of this guy selling it broke his foot somehow and doesnt have time to ride. 30hrs isnt too terribly bad, little more than i was expecting but still has some life. Valves were just checked when the kid broke his foot and it looked good and carb was diald. after that it was put away and only started and ran around the yard to keep everything fresh, lubed and from freezing up.

its def. nice looking and i like it. was wanting to go for a newer bike, but if the 05 are the best ill ride the best. plan and simple.

what yould be a fair price for this quad you think?

SmthHonRider99
05-07-2010, 12:19 PM
The 07 is my buddies quad. It gets ridden every other weekend at the MOST. The motor is freshly rebuilt. I have never even seen it dirty.. I tend to like the 06+ power compared to the 04/05 but its up to you. Just informing you that that quad has been babied!

fastredrider44
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
I wouldn't say 05 is best. It's purely my preference. They're all good when built up.

jjv101
05-07-2010, 01:47 PM
well im just saying in this situation hah.

for my price range its the best ive found so far (price range being 6000)

whats a fair price to pay for the 05 ? anyone?

Scro
05-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by jjv101
well im just saying in this situation hah.

for my price range its the best ive found so far (price range being 6000)

whats a fair price to pay for the 05 ? anyone?

I don't think I would pay $6000 for it, maybe $5000 at the most. If the economy was on it's feet and money was moving around, I would say he could get $6000 for it. But nothing it selling right now. Which is good for you, as a buyer.

jjv101
05-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I don't think I would pay $6000 for it, maybe $5000 at the most. If the economy was on it's feet and money was moving around, I would say he could get $6000 for it. But nothing it selling right now. Which is good for you, as a buyer.
I get you, i dont think hes going to come down to $5000 or even $5500. He was pretty set on $6500 for a while. now he said hed take $6000. Doubt hell go much less if any so idk.

im just going to need a quad soon seasons about to really kick off (for ohio anyway lol)

jjv101
05-07-2010, 02:57 PM
so i just found one of josh uppermans old hondas he raced. guess he race two races with it, then sold it, this guy rode it 6 times, then re did the motor.

PEP PB1, full baldwin, JB,etc.... given the market..whats a good price for this? (more or less just wondering) it appears to be in very good condition! or would that be something to stay away from

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 03:52 PM
for $6000 you should be able to find some real quality machines just be patient. My advice is find one with good suspension and not to worry about it having motor mods even the best of motors needs more maint and if your not sure about how its been maintained it could be more of a liability then a benefit I personally wouldn't want to buy one that has high comp piston and head work(even though this is what mine has I wouldn't buy it) Look for something a little cheaper and do the work yourself.And remember that every one thinks that there quad is worth more than it can be sold for. Actually something that's highly modified with engine work is worth less money to me because I wont trust it

jjv101
05-07-2010, 04:12 PM
you make a good point. i just want to/need to find something soon with my luck i wont find anythign for like two months and riding will be impossible since ill be away at college again.

high comp. doesnt bother me too much. once it starts getting to 14.1 and higher then it does!

my dad was a honda/kawi tech for years (this was a while ago but same concept) so he knows bike and quad engines pretty well

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 04:46 PM
spend 3000-4000 on a good stock and 2000 on improvements and you would be better off

jjv101
05-07-2010, 06:40 PM
thought about something smiliar to that.

sometimes that just doesnt get you any father it sems like haha

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
at least you will know exactly what and when things are done. I just dont trust other peoples work and would be worried that this is the ride that it seizes. Its just for my piece of mind that I would rather buy and build myself then buy already built and worry

jjv101
05-07-2010, 07:23 PM
completely understand where your coming from!

motofreak2772
05-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
spend 3000-4000 on a good stock and 2000 on improvements and you would be better off
2000? what are you buying just the a arms... It is way cheaper to buy a used bike with the stuff you want and change out what needs to be(or as it breaks) than to start from scratch. Unless you are buying used parts but I still think you will be paying more in the end.

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
i bought used but in very goog condition, but by that logic your buying used high performance piston and motor parts those are things I wouldnt want used. if you trust other peoples work thats your choice but I dont.I can see the suspension but unless the seller lets you tear down motor you cant see those parts I agree buy with suspension allready installed but not motor work that makes the quad worth less not more to me, I have high comp piston and head work done on mine and I know that its a waste of money to anybody but me. It costs way more to fix a blown motor than to install a few parts and have some machine work done and you can install things a little at a time when the motor is running when its siezed its down untill you come up with major cash

jjv101
05-07-2010, 08:51 PM
motofreak is on the same page roughly as I am...however i still understand your logic. Its the i rather do it my self and be safe than sorry type thing.

Of course you take a chance with anything used, stock or modded. The two quads I am looking at i feel frairly comfortable with. the one is all done up by baldwin motorsports here in ohio (1 hour away from me) everything from the suspension to all motor work. the other one (2005 on first page) is done up by rage. You can have more trust in a reputable engine builder than someone thats smaller/un heard of!

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 09:03 PM
good luck that's your choice I hope it works for you. if the seller wants top dollar tell him you want to see the cylinder and piston tell him you will pay for gaskets,if he wont open motor tell him you wont pay top dollar use as negotiation, just a suggestion. And I think you have that money burning a hole in your pocket. Be paitiant it will be worth waiting

jjv101
05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
thanks man, i apperciate all the advice and help. Im thinking of going to look at the baldwin one this weekend (as i stated was one of josh uppermans bikes for the first two races, and has been cared for by mark/baldwin)

just dont want to get stuck without a quad. i need to get on one. get use to it again, and get back on teh track and start riding/racing asap. cant wait too much longer. w/e i get i hope to plan to keep for a while!

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 09:34 PM
that one does make more sense for you considering that you live right there. Like Scro said the 04 05 front end makes a world of differance in the stering department thats the one big draw back about that quad. I have an 06 with an 05 front end when I changed it felt like a different quad

jjv101
05-07-2010, 09:47 PM
already taken care of...this one has the 05 stuff switched over.

and yeh thats really the only reason im considering this one is cuz an hr drive and i can have the bike gone through by the man that made it what it is, and from what i hear he is a SUPER guy. So yes its a built motor, yes its pro used but not for too long...

JB a arms and swinger and PB1 all the way around works for me!

DnB_racing
05-07-2010, 09:57 PM
ya that sounds good! good luck and dont hurt youself like I did last year.

jjv101
05-09-2010, 05:39 AM
thanks man.

going to look at/pick up a honda today. pictures when i get home

motofreak2772
05-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
i bought used but in very goog condition, but by that logic your buying used high performance piston and motor parts those are things I wouldnt want used. if you trust other peoples work thats your choice but I dont.I can see the suspension but unless the seller lets you tear down motor you cant see those parts I agree buy with suspension allready installed but not motor work that makes the quad worth less not more to me, I have high comp piston and head work done on mine and I know that its a waste of money to anybody but me. It costs way more to fix a blown motor than to install a few parts and have some machine work done and you can install things a little at a time when the motor is running when its siezed its down untill you come up with major cash
I know what yopu mean and I agree, it is like buying a pro bike. Yes it has all the goodies, but it was also just ridden to death by a professional haha. I think it is ok to buy a modded engine though. Just like if I were to buy used shocks I would have someone go through it and make sure everything was ok and maybe even make adjustments. I would have my mechanic look through the whole bike so I know what needs to be done, if you are lucky, not much. Then after you get everything freshened up(yeah you have to put a little money into it) it will be like a brand new bike.
If the bike is well taken care of all you would have to do is clean/replace some bearings.

Even if he opened up the cylinder you cant see the tranny, clutch, crank... which are all things that could be messed up even in a stock engine. It would cost the about the same to replace these things no matter if it was stock or modded. You never know for sure what the person has done to the engine(I dont mean mods) so thats why its best to go through the whole thing.

jjv101
05-09-2010, 03:59 PM
picked up a 08 450r today....things nice..expensive but nice, as any used thing it needs a little work. I has been sitting for a while (since august) and the shocks are a little dirty and squeky. Also needs a new oring in the carb(seeps a little when running). Other than that its ready to rock

will post some details and pictures up in a few!

jjv101
05-09-2010, 04:06 PM
2008 450r- JB a arms, JB swing arm, Super ling, PEP rear, PEP PB1 fronts, Full hinson clutch components, Baldwin motor, Bladwin seat, Percision stabilizer, 05 spindles and etc., JB steering stem, Dominator Axle, tons more i cant think of

jjv101
05-09-2010, 04:43 PM
front could be a little wider ;)

DnB_racing
05-09-2010, 05:07 PM
congrats! looks nice, how does it go and hows the gearing?

jjv101
05-09-2010, 05:21 PM
only rode it for about 2 min, soo tired when i got home.

but on that short ride, lets just say the power is SOOO smooth coming on and when its on. Its probably as smooth if not smoother than the FI on the LTR's!

gearing/trans wise...again SUPER smooth, bits hard...3 gear will lift the front tires no problem. Believe its a 13t on the front....not sure on the rear. the Hinson clutch is amazing so far, sooo light and smooth its like butter on a hot knife

racrdude41
05-10-2010, 11:15 AM
where did you find that quadforsale?

racrdude41
05-10-2010, 11:15 AM
where did you find that quadforsale?

jjv101
05-10-2010, 04:06 PM
craigslist.

also, i always thought that if the front of the bike is a tad wider than the rear it helps to track better through corners. This bike seems to be the front and rear are about the same width ( the front is atleast no wider than the rear)...maybe the pros have found that it doesnt really matter? maybe my tape measure is off lol

^^any inputs on that?

Scro
05-10-2010, 06:14 PM
I've found that with the rear about 1/2" narrower on each side that it does help to track better.

OutlawEX
10-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I see you already bought a bike. Either way you went you were good . I build new bikes every season and install all new parts. First thing I do when i get a bike is rip the motor out and rebuild the bottom end. Even though it was an 2005 it was actually built in 2008 when I used it at the nationals I went to. It was a rage head with CRF KibbleWhite valves. Just a rage port job and OEM crank and hotcams were the internal mods. Alot of people see 2004-2005 and assume its actually that old but in reality it was just built. I use to use the 06 and new ones but had to many tranny problems. Nice seeing a memorable bike like that one I sold him still in the good condition.

Brandon Jones