PDA

View Full Version : Carb Hitting Frame

Velvet-Casket
05-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I bought an ESR air box eliminator kit a while back to go on my 38mm a/s carb. I bought a brand new intake boot and it cost me $70 and it wont work. Its making the carb sit too high to go under the frame which is making it impossible to run an airbox boot or the eliminator kit. So i tried forcing it downwards and then it oval shapes the intake boot. So then i take out the reed spacer as i see that it sits lower slightly without one...Dead end no luck. Is there an intake boot that lowers the height of the carb???? I wanna mention its an 86 short rod engine thats in an 87 frame. It simply doesnt make sense. Shouldnt the cylinder height be lower since the the 87 models had a longer crank and spacer plate. Im not sure if honda had to make a bigger gap on 87 and up frames for this reason but it seems logical to me. Whats the deal guys?

1promodfan
05-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Velvet-Casket
I bought an ESR air box eliminator kit a while back to go on my 38mm a/s carb. I bought a brand new intake boot and it cost me $70 and it wont work. Its making the carb sit too high to go under the frame which is making it impossible to run an airbox boot or the eliminator kit. So i tried forcing it downwards and then it oval shapes the intake boot. So then i take out the reed spacer as i see that it sits lower slightly without one...Dead end no luck. Is there an intake boot that lowers the height of the carb???? I wanna mention its an 86 short rod engine thats in an 87 frame. It simply doesnt make sense. Shouldnt the cylinder height be lower since the the 87 models had a longer crank and spacer plate. Im not sure if honda had to make a bigger gap on 87 and up frames for this reason but it seems logical to me. Whats the deal guys?

Most guys run a CR intake boot because its a little shorter and helps with clearance issues. I've got one that I'll sell you for a good deal.

250rice
05-07-2010, 04:58 PM
i had the same problem on my 330r first if you put it on then put the carb on make sure the clamp is tight then push down on it and it should bend enough to but the air box on then when you got it on and all the clamps are tight put something heevy on to to push it down and leave it over night then take to weight of and it should stay down at least it worked on mine ho you could try to heat it with the wight is on it but not to much you dont what to melt it use a heat gun not a torch or any kind of flame or a hair dryer will probably work to