PDA

View Full Version : pipe with dent

mydirtkids
05-05-2010, 10:31 PM
I have a dent in our brand new PCS pipe. The left side motor mount bolts sheared right off, and when it did the pipe contacted the frame rail. The bottom say 1/4 of the pipe is now flat about 3" from the header, well in front of the expansion chamber. Did not notice any change in performance, just a little:mad:

Should I have this repaired?

Coley'sdad#8
05-06-2010, 05:09 AM
gimme something challenging, take pipe offblock off one end of pipe, make adapter for air hose for the other end, pressurize pipe with regulator to about 8psi (maybe a little bit more but not too much because my Indian Dogsled racing buddy blew his pipe out)
now take torch preferrably with rosebud tip and "cherry the dented in area and watch the magic. If you have some stubborn areas you can braze some short pcs. 4" long of small rod to dented area , cherry it and gently pull with vise grippers (life savers), clean, paint race.

mydirtkids
05-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I'll try not to blow myself up, don't want shrapnel in the dogsled. Thanks!

mydirtkids
05-13-2010, 03:32 AM
Coley's Dad, u-da-man...
You can be my wing (sled) man anyday:D That was way too cool,,, heck I might smack another dent in the pipe just so I can see it again!
About 90-100 PSi worked. I should have taken a pic, but got excited and forgot... Used a air-plug on the back (the automotive-kind that is rubber with a screw that causes the plug to expand creating a tight fit). Found a large washer, welded a air fitting to it, welded contraption to header side of pipe. Plugged in compressor (80 psi first, 90..100psi). Heated said dent with map gas and :devil: sweeeet! I did not blow myself up;)

Now, how about toejam:eek2:

Coley'sdad#8
05-13-2010, 04:57 AM
Glad it worked out for you brother, I made some good money with that during high school. The first one I did was on a dented pipe (FMF) that was hanging on a trash can at Gatorback after a race, I snatched it up, tooker home , fixed and sold;) Stay tuned for the next fix:confused:

Coley'sdad#8
05-13-2010, 05:07 AM
Glad it worked out for you brother, I made some good money with that during high school. The first one I did was on a dented pipe (FMF) that was hanging on a trash can at Gatorback after a race, I snatched it up, tooker home , fixed and sold;) Stay tuned for the next fix:confused:

mydirtkids
05-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Will do:D

FISH ON!
05-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Coly:

Wow..... compressed air has A LOT of stored energy. Would you try it on this rag.................. wasted it on the first race of the season. Notice it got pushed forward and buckled at the expansion chamber and hit the case.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=432136

Coley'sdad#8
05-14-2010, 08:28 AM
yeah I would definately fix it with the cost of pipes and the probability that your is going to get bashed again i would go for it.
Try the air first, if that doesnt do it look at how a pipe is made , the bends and funnels are a series of mitre cut pcs. of sheet metal rolled and welded. Cut the bad areas of "cone pcs." out with plasma cutter, cut with the weld holding the two pcs together and flatten them out on table, now you have template for new pcs to go back in place, weld and go baby. Don't be scared to try to fix anything, I look at it this way, somebody built it once i trashed it and I can build it back, it's just metal and it's not smarter than me:rolleyes: (which ain't saying much):ermm:

CRBOGGAN
05-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Like chris said its junk now whats the worst you could do make it junk lol.

mydirtkids
05-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Yup, worth a shot. Shoot, if it doesn't work maybe you could try to blow it up so we know what pressure not to use:devil: JUST KIDDING! I was a little nervous about 100 psi and then heating up the pipe... PSI increases to who knows what! Good luck with yours...