PDA

View Full Version : Feeling.....pretty old

Pappy
05-05-2010, 09:58 PM
When I joined this site in 2002, cody was 7 or 8. He had a battery powered quad:p

Last weekend he went to his Junior prom, in my Mustang:eek2: It seems like yesterday he was still in diapers making engine noises while I worked on my race car. Now he is faster then me at almost everything LOL!

I geuss he has grown up in front of most of you all as well.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/905P5030/856390537_eN3Fs-O.jpg

Quad18star
05-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Crazy how fast time goes by . Seems like just yesturday you were posting up pics of him riding the little 90cc.

But I really thought you were gunna say you were feeling older cuz you took your hat off and looked in the mirror and damn near blinded yourself with the reflection. :blah:

Ken .. I think it's time to have the "talk" with Cody about beavers and wood . ;)

Pappy
05-05-2010, 10:18 PM
Talk was easy.....

I just told him to imagine having to raise his little brother LOL

Yep, seems like yesterdayfor sure. From 2005, his first national class win

Looking at old threads is like a time warp

Quad18star
05-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Talk was easy.....

I just told him to imagine having to raise his little brother LOL

Yep, seems like yesterdayfor sure. From 2005, his first national class win

Looking at old threads is like a time warp

Hahaha. You just gotta scare the bejesus out of them ... the its all good. When I was a teen , my old man told me he'd whoop my *** , then kick me out of the house if I knocked up a girl. :eek2:

Definatly a walk down memory lane seeing the pics.

Tell him he looked pretty spiffy in the suit also.

wvspeedfreak
05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
You ain't old son.Why,I remember walking to school uphill both ways........in snow year 'round........then working until sundown for a penny a day......then......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

QuadJunkies
05-06-2010, 07:02 PM
I showed Troy and Kelsey Codys picutre and Troy about
sht himself ! He didnt believe me that it was Cody ! haha!
He was like WOW... OMG...!!! WOW... OMG!!! :p

CHAR250R
05-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Before you know it.....you'll be a GRAND Pappy! :)

Pappy
05-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by CHAR250R
Before you know it.....you'll be a GRAND Pappy! :)

I better not be:p

QJ..Cody says the same about your kids. Said he would like to do a few laps with yer girl:tired:

wvspeedfreak
05-06-2010, 07:19 PM
...................oh yeah,all we got for Christmas was a stick of peppermint candy.....and we were damn thankful to get that.......whippersnappers......ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Pappy
05-06-2010, 07:35 PM
LOL...they had candy back then:devil:

QuadJunkies
05-06-2010, 07:36 PM
I better not be:p

QJ..Cody says the same about your kids. Said he would like to do a few laps with yer girl:tired:

Good thing they are a few miles apart ! :p LOL

For some reason I could see those two riding together .

cletusEX
05-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Your mustang??? You mean your WV ***** didn't have something laying around the yard you could've taken off blocks, slapped some wheels on, and shipped him off in! :D

Pappy
05-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Oh youre gonna get it Nick:macho :blah:

timmybreakitall
05-07-2010, 12:16 AM
HOLY CRAP! how tall is he? wasen"t it just yesterday we were in Ohio ridng with you guys? He looks real good , I would be proud.

Pappy
05-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Sure does Tim:p He speaks of that often. He wants to come out west and ride bad. Harlen said once he turns 18 he can come do all the test rides and he is looking forward to it!

TNT
05-07-2010, 07:52 AM
It’s just the beginning, wait until he’s 20 and the day comes you build him 2 pro-am national race quads just to be told he decided not to go since his girlfriend can’t get off work and is concerned about him getting hurt, wants him to stay home start figuring out how to build a life together be married in the next year, not be on the road all the time….Then you ask a simple question like me: WHY DIDN”T YOU TELL ME THAT BEFORE I SPENT ALL THAT MONEY THIS SEASON????

Then you’ll get tired of it, playing with your hard earned money and a son who’s woman has him and dad by the ba###! Take the quads away so they can call you too controlling, maybe other toys like a crotch rocket, so you can ride them around that is if you are not too old like me. :eek2:

Thanks for letting me vent! :mad:

Pappy
05-07-2010, 07:57 AM
I didnt raise a puss:devil: :blah:

TNT
05-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I didnt raise a puss:devil: :blah:

You under estimate the power of a women!

Weapons of mass destruction. :mad:

Pappy
05-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Its probably best to find out now he isnt dedicated before he got hurt etc. Money can be replaced etc.

protraxrptr17
05-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by TNT

Yep, Pappy you may go thru the same thing one day. I gave my new dually to my girlfriend and sold my 250R so I could buy myself something to drive right before we got married. I still don't know what I was thinkin. I was 21 and a tough SOB. Tough don't have nothing to do with it.

TNT, can I be your new son? JK :)

Pappy
05-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
Yep, Pappy you may go thru the same thing one day.

Nada....racing is fun, but it isnt our life. Cody is fast and is a great racer but his life is more dedicated to doing well in school and his future. There isnt anyway im pumping in the kind of money it takes to run a national series again.

We are planning on something for next season, but it will evolve around local racing. We have to work at the nationals and its a hard thing to do (race and work) so the ones we do run will be for pure fun.

TNT
05-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Its probably best to find out now he isnt dedicated before he got hurt etc. Money can be replaced etc.

You hit the nail on the head......

Here are the warning signs......

Warning #1: He’s getting hurt often when she shows to races.

Warning # 2 HOT Girlfriend shows up looks better than any quad your kid has ever seen, better arm trophy he has ever had.

Warning # 3: Girlfriend comes to races as a Premadona beauty queen expecting son’s parents to wait on her hand and foot son gets mad when you object. she’s in control.

Warning # 4: Girfreind takes 2 showers/day in the rig, puts make up everywhere all over the little bathroom sink, makes a mess son expects YOU to pick up.

Warning # 5: Girlfreind takes son all over the pits in your golf-cart leaving you at the rig to cook and clean since he gets mad if you ask her to lift a finger.

You get the pic, if any of these happen to you your son is PW’d stop spending money.

Listen to wise ol TNT Pap, mines doing good in school too don’t matter what series it can happen to you.

smr
05-07-2010, 12:09 PM
man guys..I'm going through the same thing. Holden and I used to ride together and he loved his racing. No he has gotten into girls and things are different. He is like a buck in rut. Not saying he's disrespectful or anything but man...I can't believe the change in him over the last year.

Pappy...it's most likely gonna happen to you too. That's when we find out how we did raising them.

I'll never forget it, I just got out of school, I was working as an electricain making OK money...me and the girlfriend started talking about marriage. My parents went on vacation and I joined the Army. When my parents got home the couldn't believe it. I left two weeks later, returned home after basic and got married. (still together after 22years). My mom still tells me how much it shocked her.

When the weman start getting into our heads then the wierd thoughts start.

Tommy Warren
05-07-2010, 12:53 PM
could be worse guys...your sons could be bringing home their new boyfriends:devil:

If I knew who my dad was and he built me 2 quads for racing....I think I could put girlfriends on the backburner for a few weekends out of the year

TNT
05-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by smr
man guys..I'm going through the same thing. Holden and I used to ride together and he loved his racing. No he has gotten into girls and things are different. He is like a buck in rut. Not saying he's disrespectful or anything but man...I can't believe the change in him over the last year.

Pappy...it's most likely gonna happen to you too. That's when we find out how we did raising them.

I'll never forget it, I just got out of school, I was working as an electricain making OK money...me and the girlfriend started talking about marriage. My parents went on vacation and I joined the Army. When my parents got home the couldn't believe it. I left two weeks later, returned home after basic and got married. (still together after 22years). My mom still tells me how much it shocked her.

When the weman start getting into our heads then the wierd thoughts start.

Yeah it’s crazy how fast they grow up….like you I remember being 20 and my g/f high school sweet heart gave me and ultimatum marry her stop being a musician which I loved and not go to college, I chose college and music lol! Hardest thing I ever did but without them I knew I’d never make it through college. I hardly had women around in engineering school; if I had I’d never make it as I barely did in HS w/them and parting. Lets face it, relationships take work but I knew someday by sacrificing the parties and women to make something out of myself would pay-off, I’d have a family I could provide for which I did. Kids at this age won’t listen, some need to learn the hard way like mine. She’s unhappily married now cuz she would not follow TNT’s lead ;) ….Some can be successful juggling a marriage, kids, college, etc but it’s going to be much harder. You’re the exception, I think even thinking about marriage at 20, 24, is too early……. Late 20’s after years of dating ok imo. I was 30 when I married and it has worked out great!

Guy that fixed my golf kart his 19 yr old son was in this situation, he dropped everything he loved for his g/f, she dumped him he almost comited harry carey. Other countless fathers I have discussed this with lately gone or going through the same thing, very common! ….just a hard age, time for big decisions and they get tired of parents rules want to be independent, boy’s wanting to prove manhood, pier pressure has to do with it to.

I got two pro-am race ready quads I don’t know what to do with now. I really enjoy going to the national races maybe I’ll sponsor a racer if they promise to leave their g/f’s at home lol. Ha, he may come around, doubt I sell them too soon although a 2010 Harley and nice Rhino or something for good ol dad to enjoy is looking tempting.

Tommy right and I only asked for 5 nationals alone no girlfriend. :rolleyes:

smr
05-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I agree with you 100% TNT.

Vonda and I are the exeption. We were both fresh out of highschool and she has been there for me ever since...and she's still hot. We did wait several years to have kids (the whole gulf war thingy help here). I really think that makes a difference.

I have also thought about what tommy warren said. Tommy I agree with you also. Thank God it's girls.

Hey I got a good friend that lives in augusta, ka....what do you say I swing by, pick him up and we all meet up at little sahara for some good ole riding....:D

TNT
05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by smr
I agree with you 100% TNT.

Vonda and I are the exeption. We were both fresh out of highschool and she has been there for me ever since...and she's still hot. We did wait several years to have kids (the whole gulf war thingy help here). I really think that makes a difference.

I have also thought about what tommy warren said. Tommy I agree with you also. Thank God it's girls.

Hey I got a good friend that lives in augusta, ka....what do you say I swing by, pick him up and we all meet up at little sahara for some good ole riding....:D

I'd love to have some buddies to go ride with but I'm in Charleston, SC working and my son is in Wichita still. I bailed here with the aircraft market down turn...thats why I was wanting to met him at some nats in the middle.....thanks for the offer man....they have some trail riding places around here just don't know if I want to do that to some expensive high power MX quads, I'd probably kill myself anyhoos.....I don't see how these kids ride those crotch rockets either, Id much rather have a crusier :D

QuadJunkies
05-07-2010, 06:35 PM
We have to work at the nationals and its a hard thing to do (race and work) .

Boy you got that right ! We have had to go a few times w/o Troy and thats alot of work on me to drive,shoot, pit, register, inspect machines, clean and somehow try and hope the kids are OK if I cant pit during a race because Im somewhere on the desert taking pics .:scary:
We have decided if Troy cant make it in the future to a race,were not either .

QuadJunkies
05-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by TNT

Not all of us are ! :ermm:
I hope my kids find someone whos supportive of there choices and can support my Daughters wardrobes ...:o :p

TNT
05-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Not all of us are ! :ermm:
I hope my kids find someone whos supportive of there choices and can support my Daughters wardrobes ...:o :p

I revert back to that recent thread I posted on asking what it cost to race nationals, well alot, even regionals we pack the rig for years many for hours thurs to leave Friday get there for Sat practice, quals Sat, mains Sun, unpack and clean Monday...plus all the practice and wrench turning time during the week....Well you will find unless you are lucky that the boyfreinds/girlfreinds some have to work or go to college and can't miss afford or support every other weekend, and if we're talking nationals less than two weeks leave wed-thurs get back late Mon or more cost effective to just keep them on the road don't go home. Locals not an option when your kid can lap everyone in the pro class.

So it cost more than entry and race fees and gas, but family time too much time imo, relationships and it will be hard to find a b/f or g/f that will sacrafice that much time from work, school, and thier family and freinds, church, etc, and if they did in thier own right would expect the same in return. Best case scenario being they both race quads, unlikely.

Someone mentioned bikes on that thread doing all their racing on Sat so ppl can get back to thier normal lives Monday, that be nice!

We had the dreams like many of going pro when we were sixteen, then reality sets in and life happens, families form with or without it got to respect the pros that make the sacrifices and take the risk, parents roll with the times....enjoy it while you can! :D

Can't erase the good memories no matter how far apart or we disagree with them worth every penny! :)

PS: I only got one son and can't imagine daughters I'd screeeaaaam! lol! Wardrobes cost me more than racing!!! :rolleyes:

TNT
05-07-2010, 08:32 PM
K, I moded that last post where I wanted it read it again if you will...Sorry Pap if I hi-jacked your thread and I hope we opened your eyes to some thoughts, I wish I was so fortunate and seen it coming. Nice looking boy and I wish you two the best of luck!

I guess as we say thats racing! :D

QuadJunkies
05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
We just enjoy what we can ,while we can ..Never know what futures hold, but we will have fun getting there in the mean time .. :)

I was however serious about the wardrobe part ...:uhoh:
But costing more than racing ? Not even close ! lol

Pappy being a PAPPY??? I cant even visualize that at all ! Not for a long time !:eek2:

honda400ex2003
05-07-2010, 10:25 PM
wait till they go to college and it tears you apart to see them leave for weeks or months at a time. then it really sucks for both parties in the equation. Glad to hear everyone has great memories with their kids, one day I hope to have the same and can share my favorite hobbies with my kids as all of you have and my parents have done with me. We have to stick together to keep trails open and our sport thriving so that there is something left it 10 or 15 yrs. great stories everyone! thanks, Steve

QuadJunkies
05-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Pappy, I knew I would be a sap when I seen her all purdy, but today I was a blubbering idiot all day. LOL :p Today was Kelseys Prom.

I think she cleaned up pretty good ! :)

Pappy
05-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Looks pretty from here!

I will read all this tomorrow when the swelling goes down in my eye LOL! I took a shot from the podium to my head from the champaign cork:huh

QuadJunkies
05-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Lmao. Damn .
for some reason I think of "you'll shoot your eye out " .
that has to hurt . That could have been bad ! Tell Harlen you deserve a raise for pain and suffering . Lol

Tommy Warren
05-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Pappy, I knew I would be a sap when I seen her all purdy, but today I was a blubbering idiot all day. LOL :p Today was Kelseys Prom.

I think she cleaned up pretty good ! :)

This had better not be the girl with "love handles" If she is you need to delete that post:D shes beautiful.....

QuadJunkies
05-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
This had better not be the girl with "love handles" If she is you need to delete that post:D shes beau tiful..... lol thanks

woodsracer144
05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I know what you mean, im done with school in a week, it feels like yesterday i was running around bare *** in our house and playing on the playground. i cant get over the fact that im done with high school this year...

trick450r
05-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by TNT

no he didnt, your sons a *****!

Tommy Warren
05-10-2010, 03:33 PM
here we go:rolleyes:

2004400exa
05-10-2010, 05:22 PM
i know ive been a member i think since 03 and get on once in a great while

2004400exa
05-10-2010, 05:22 PM
i know ive been a member i think since 03 and get on once in a great while