PDA

View Full Version : outboard motor guys

honda400ex2003
05-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Hey guys, I have a 30hp evinrude that once it warms up, starts to seem like it hits a false limiter. It will run fine for about 5 minutes then it starts to do this. It starts at around 1/3 throttle and will do it to wide open. If i stay below 1/3 it runs fine again. My dad thought that it was maybe the impeller since it has a bit of a weak stream of water coming out. I am not really sure what to do with it since it does run fine for a while then it starts to run bad. lol. any ideas or things to check would be great! thanks guys, steve

Pappy
05-05-2010, 03:23 PM
The water pump handles that stream (pisser)

Sounds like crap in the carb possibly.

honda400ex2003
05-05-2010, 03:26 PM
could be, the only issue is that it runs fine until it warms up. maybe it is running rich from being clogged then once it warms up it starts to chug. it ran good for about 5 minutes, then i slowed down to a slow cruise into a bay, turned around and it was chugging like that again. anything else? steve

Pappy
05-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Fuel, Air and Spark.....start with the basic and simple stuff

I had one that gave me fit...until I realized the fuel pick up tube in the tank had fallen off. Would run great until the fuel level dropped below the plastic housing that held the pick up tube LOL

honda400ex2003
05-05-2010, 03:38 PM
sounds good, i guess ill pick up some new plugs, get some more new gas, and go from there again. every year it is something different with it after it sits for the winter. lol. thanks pap. steve

ridered11
05-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Sounds to me like theres an air leak somewhere. Does it bog down? or just doesn't rev up? We had some issues like that last summer with an outboard for the john boat.

honda400ex2003
05-06-2010, 10:16 AM
once it warms up it seems like it hitting a rev limiter. it will rev up then just shuts down, then revs up, shuts down. it is so wierd. Ill try to take a vid this after noon if i take it for a ride. I am going to get some new gas for it today and see how it does with that. That usually fixes it but since it runs fine then starts to do it once warm it has me stumped. if i let it cool off right after this, it will start and run fine until it is fully warmed up again then back to the chugging. lol. hopefully new gas will solve the issue, I want to go do some fishing but it is tough to go anywhere when you have to go 7-8 mph. it takes a while to get across the lake going that slow. lol steve

ridered11
05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Ours did a very similar thing. It turned out that the primer from the tank line to the motor had a crack in it and was sucking air. So when you wanted to go full throttle it bogged down and would cut off because it was starved of fuel. I'm not exactly sure if thats what you are experiencing, but I would atleast look into it.

toby400ex
05-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Is this a 2-stroke motor? Did the gas sit in it over the winter? Ive been lazy and left gas in my weed eater and mower over the winter. The weed eater (2 stroke) Will work like crap until I put new fuel in it. The 4 stroke lawn mower on the other hand doesn't seem to make a difference.

honda400ex2003
05-06-2010, 04:48 PM
Very good ideas guys, thanks. It is a 2 stroke, but i am not sure if the gas was in the boat outside over the winter or not. I wasnt home when he got it all ready for summer. I havent got gas yet but probably will tonight. lol. Ill look for some leaks and stuff also tonight and see what i come up with. steve