PDA

View Full Version : What to do about a skunk?

J.Brown121
05-04-2010, 08:28 PM
This is just what the title says. I need to know what to do to get rid of this stinky guy that's living in our well house. We've thought about running a hot wire about 3 inches from the ground so it won't want to dig back under there, but we would have to do it in the middle of the night. Any ideas?

Hondaracing819
05-04-2010, 08:40 PM
dont trap him in a cage.. thats for dam sure

J.Brown121
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
If I have to trap it then it wiil be my last resort lol. And I'll just pay the kid across the street to take it out to the game reserve so my truck doesn't smell like chit:D

Pappy
05-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Use a box trap....cover it when you catch him...take him away and turn him loose

a 7x7x16 box trap wont allow it to raise its tail to spray...usually:devil:

J.Brown121
05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I was thinking that if we just put it on the opening that he's using and then cover it with some heavy duty plastic before it even gets in there it would give us a little more time because he won't see us coming to get him. But like I said, that's the last resort.

CJM
05-04-2010, 09:13 PM
My cousin once shot one with a bow, worked quite well.

J.Brown121
05-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by CJM
My cousin once shot one with a bow, worked quite well.

lol I'm not that great with a bow, and I would rather not shoot it since I would have no plans of eating it.

fastredrider44
05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
I knew a guy that trapped one, threw cage and all with a rope attached into a pond. Once the bubbles stopped, he pulled his cage back in. Not very humane, but it did work... I think I'd shoot it first though. Trap it in a little cage, and anything that smells like skunk will need a good ketchup bath.:chinese:

Pappy
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
They are actually pretty cool. A few weeks back, me and the boys were going for a walk before I left for a race. My Lab was with us and I saw a cat ...well at first I thought it was a cat LOL! I was able to get Cody to snatch the dog before he saw the skunk.

I walked up and talked to it and kept it moving on its way until it was away from the haybarn. You would be surprised how well they behave when you dont scare the crap out of them. Ive had them all but walk over my feet when Turkey hunting.

J.Brown121
05-04-2010, 09:32 PM
There are some people that actually keep 'em as pets with the scent glands still in:eek2:

smr
05-05-2010, 05:50 AM
skunks are pretty laid back. Also..don't forget they are known for carrying rabes. So if one is to gentle then that's a sign.

I will tell you this about a skunk...don't believe all the BS you hear about how to git rid of the oder. Me and my dog got sprayed about 3 years ago. I tried the mater juice, bleach, rum...none of that crap works. Finally I tried baking soda...that did it. Took the smell right away.

Fralick #81
05-05-2010, 01:12 PM
You could mix up a little kitty cocktail unless you have pets or other animals around that you dont want to kill. Just get some dry catfood and soak it in antifreeze and set it where the skunk will find it and eat it. Also not very humane but it works like a charm.

TRX_450
05-05-2010, 01:24 PM
#220 conibear. works every time.

also, canned cat foot as bait at the back of the box/bucket.

PhilMoore
05-05-2010, 01:42 PM
I had one go in the garage. I started up my pickup and let it run for 20 minutes with the doors closed.

It didn't work. That's all I'm sayin.

tayyo789
05-05-2010, 02:19 PM
shoot it. BUT NOT IN THE ***.

trust me

3400ben
05-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Cage trap and a cloth over it works good. Throw it in a pond. We use fly bait and coke cola in a tin pan. 9 out of 10 time they are dead with there head still in the pan.

FreekShow
05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
if you get sprayed the best way to take away the odor is a mix of baking soda and liquid hand soap. saw it on billy the exterminator show on A&E lol. he said that tomato juice and all those other things dont work at all and baking soda with liquid hand soap is the answer.

ZeroLogic
05-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Drowning it is just messed up. Don't shoot it or kill it. It will spray when it dies. Me and my father had one in our garage and we shot it. Stunk up the whole house for a good few days. Catch it alive with an cloth over it and let it go in the woods.

3400ben
05-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Drowning it is just messed up. Don't shoot it or kill it. It will spray when it dies. Me and my father had one in our garage and we shot it. Stunk up the whole house for a good few days. Catch it alive with an cloth over it and let it go in the woods.

Ok a bullet ripping though your flesh and bones. Most people will shank the first shot and wound them. The other way one big gulp of water and lights out. If you plan on letting it go in the woods plan on drive about 30 miles or it will be right back in about a week. We took one I caught in a trap painted it orange drove about 15 miles and dropped it off ( My teachers mail box years ago) took it 5 days to get back.

TRX_450
05-05-2010, 10:31 PM
skunks cant spray unless they can plant their rear feet.

dns1764
05-06-2010, 05:21 AM
could always eat it :devil:

smr
05-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by FreekShow
if you get sprayed the best way to take away the odor is a mix of baking soda and liquid hand soap. saw it on billy the exterminator show on A&E lol. he said that tomato juice and all those other things dont work at all and baking soda with liquid hand soap is the answer.

why don't people read the thread before they post...:D

J.Brown121
05-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Well, we heard from some people that my mom works for that they hate the smell of moth balls so we're trying that to get it out of there.

KFX450Rrider490
05-06-2010, 05:57 PM
believe it or not they make great pets my cousins had one. im not going to lie it was pretty cool! it was honestly like a cat but at the same time like a little dog. if i was given the chance i would undoubtedly take it home. the only problem is that our bichons would go nutz! lol those dogs are retarded!!

J.Brown121
05-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Ya i saw something about people having them as pets on animal planet. I think they are suppose to be closly related to cats, which are the scum of the earth, and make great pets. I've had friends with racoons, but never skunks.

FreekShow
05-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by smr
why don't people read the thread before they post...:D

are you referring to me? what are you talking about? i was just saying IN CASE he gets sprayed thats how to take care of it. i know the point of the thread is that he is trying to get rid of the skunk.:rolleyes: oh and if you are referring to how you already said baking soda...well i read that part of the thread. but its baking soda AND liquid hand soap mixed together to get rid of the odor.:o

Striker2448
05-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I would suggest trapping him the best way to do it without him spraying, I have had to do it a few times at my house so I know it will work. Once he is in the cage just throw a big blanket or tarp over the cage and take it somewhere that you can let him loose and then just open up the cage. Sometimes they will not exit the open cage until night once it gets dark outside.

dns1764
05-08-2010, 03:44 PM
watch that mythbusters episode. they couldnt get sprayed when they tried. so just try to get sprayed and you wont:D