PDA

View Full Version : which manual?

fasterblaster09
05-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I need to change the head gasket on my 400ex(bored to 416), and have never been into the motor before. Which manual would be best for me to get to walk me through this? Also, I have a cometic head gasket to put on it. Do I jsut pull the head, put the new one, and put it back on? cant be this simple...any tips or suggestions would really help. this is my girlfriends bike and she is on my ***** to get it running for her so yall can imagine I need to hurry lol. thanks, neil

Trxracr
05-05-2010, 04:23 PM
I have Hondas Service Manual for my 450r thats what id go with its simple and easy to follow i had never been in a motor either and it walks you through it ALOT better than the Yamaha one i have for my yfz i think i paid like 55 bucks for the honda one. and if it was a 2 stroke yes it would be that simple but a four stroke you have a cam that MUST be timed correctly as i said the honda manual walks you trough how to do everything. to be honest the worst part for me with top ends is scrubbin off the old gasket!! haha :)

Trxracr
05-05-2010, 04:25 PM
o and make sure you dont drop the camchain into the cases you have to keep tension on it i just zip ty it onto the frame so it doesnt fall off the lower sprocket. and good luck with your project!!

fasterblaster09
05-06-2010, 07:51 PM
okay thanks, do I just put the head gasket on and put it back together?

Trxracr
05-06-2010, 08:40 PM
pretty much just follow the instructions to take it apart clean the old gasket off the cylinder and head and put it together also while its apart id check the valves which is very simple also covered in the manual all you need is a feeler gauge