PDA

View Full Version : Fox Float R air shocks

rablack21
05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Has anyone ran these yet? If so, how did they do? Are they better than traditional coil spring shocks? Which is better for MX? I'm curious to see what everyone's feelings are toward these, especially those who have used them for racing.

Honda 250r 001
05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
i hear the quad rolls bad when going into corners. Also i believe the only plus to the air shocks is the weight. There so much lighter than coil overs

250rPRIDE
05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
ask troy troybilt, i think he has a couple sets of floats, i have never heard of a guy buying a set and not like them, if they roll in a corner adjust them, add some air to stiffin it up some.

troybilt
05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
i hear the quad rolls bad when going into corners. Also i believe the only plus to the air shocks is the weight. There so much lighter than coil overs

Have you rode them? Then they didn't have them setup right... I have 2 sets and they don't roll in the corners. One set on 250r and one on 450r, 250r setup for woods and 450r setup for MX. Awesome setup, one of the best money can buy...

Unless your talking about the cheap sport Floats then I don't know, the Float Evol DSC is what I run...

Rablack21,
Try searching this topic there is hundreds and hundreds of threads that explain the pros and cons of all setups, and make up your own mind... no need to start another one, everyone has there opinions.

250rPRIDE
05-04-2010, 03:28 PM
haa that didnt take long for you to chime in troy..

i agree i think these are the best shocks anyone can get but i dont own a set although i have rode atv's and sleds with them and you really feel the differance when you are trading off within a few seconds from the coils to the floats, if i had the coin! those are the shocks i would buy..

troybilt
05-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Here's my take, FWIW. They are not better than coil over and coil overs are not better than Air shocks. It just depends, they each have there advantages and disadvantages. You do have to keep them "pumped" up and the pressure changes with track and temperature conditions... Most think they pump them up one time and go ride and never change them the next time, then base their opinions on that. They are somewhat more "maintenance" than coil shocks. Depends on if you like the flexibility, etc... I like tuning suspension, and I'm still learning how to tune them correctly. Floats give you the ability to adjust spring rates without buying new springs for varying track conditions, etc... If you want to throw on a set of shocks and forget about them, adjust compression or rebound here or there, I would stick with coilovers, and there are some damn good coilover setups out there. PEP PB1's, Ohlins TTX, Elka factory, Axis Pro Airs, etc...

I've heard the body roll, I've heard they leak. No, when the temperature changes i.e. gets colder, the pressure in the shocks decrease. So you have to re-adjust, vice versa for warmer temps, 10 degrees makes a difference. They don't leak, its just changes in the atmospheric conditions, gives them a softer feel, so you pump them up. They are alot more adjustable on-the-fly...

They have such a small volume of air that if there was a leak it would take literally seconds for the air pressure to bleed off.

D Bergstrom
05-04-2010, 03:51 PM
I own a set of Float Evol’s on one of my 450R’s. I don’t think they are the “holy grail” of shocks like some, but they are a good shock. I actually prefer the Motowoz shocks on my race quad.

I have never had a problem with air leaking out of them. My quad has set in my garage for weeks at a time and when I check the pressure, it is right where it should be. You do need to check them though for temp changes and elevation changes. I check mine before every ride. If I go out of town, I check them after I get to where I am going.

Compared to a coil shock, there is a slight amount of body roll with the Fox shocks. The only reason I notice it is because I switch back and forth between my 450R’s. (Both have the same suspension setup other then shocks.)

My only complaint with the Fox shocks is I feel they come with a “generic” setup. For me, they are really harsh over little stuff, but they work well on the big hits. If I try to get them to work better on the little stuff, then they do not work well on the big hits. Suspension setup is always a trade off, but it just seems to be more pronounced with these. When I bought mine, the only thing I was asked was what quad and what a-arms, nothing about rider weight, style, or type. That tells me that Fox probably uses the same valving for everything. I feel valving should vary also. I have wanted to send mine out and get them revalved, just have not had the chance to get it done. I feel they would work even better with a “rider specific” setup in them. Don't get me wrong, they work well out of the box, they are just not perfect.

Doug