PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Questions

bradw412
01-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi guy's I'm Brad and just bought my first EX.....it' a 95 300ex with brand new fast trekker on front turf tamers out back, full supertrapp exh, AC nerfs, DG bumpers, Lonestar stem, renthal bars, Unifilter, Maier race plastic, and a 400ex carb...... it needs a rear caliper, i paid $1600.00:confused: good deal? the main question is i don't know much about the carb swap the previous owner did ,he said it was jetted but not at what?all i can tell u is the bag with the jets he didnt use had these in it.... (star)168[doesn't look like a jet], (star)52[jet], and a (star) 38.... thanks for any help or info u guy's can give me

oh yeah i've been reading your forums, should i remove my airbox lid?

sweet300ex
01-30-2003, 11:42 AM
If it is in semi to good condition you got a steal with all of those sweet aftermarket parts on it!

bradw412
01-30-2003, 01:58 PM
actually it's in pretty nice shape, i thought it seemed cheap....anybody make anything out of those jet #'s?

Ex'r Marlin
01-30-2003, 02:58 PM
I am thinking that the "star" 168 is a main jet, while the others are pilot jets. I have not heard the name brand "star" before, sorry.

Otherwise, if you feel you need to dial it in better, I would find out what jets you have in there, and go from there by purchasing jets from either your local dealer, or one of our sponsors... Hint hint.:)

The first thing I would do is get that rear caliper replaced... Otherwise, it sounds like you got yourself a nice machine!:cool:

BTW.... WELCOME to Exriders.com!:)

Note: I do not know if K&N interrests you at all, put they have a jet kit that you can get for your 400ex carb.

Good luck with your new purchase!

bradw412
01-30-2003, 04:03 PM
Thanks ex'rmarlin.....when i said (star), it is actually a picture of a star before the #, i'm not sure what brand it is

bradley300
01-31-2003, 08:21 AM
look in the back of dirtwheels for"cycles are us" they sell used parts for the ex. i got a caliper from them and my dad thought it was new! This is a rebuild? he said. it seems to be holding up great and i had it in less than a week.

i saved about 100bucks over a new one too.

bradw412
02-01-2003, 05:07 PM
should i take my airbox lid off? would i notice a diff with my mods?

Ex'r Marlin
02-01-2003, 09:59 PM
No and yes. I guess it depends on what type of conditions you ride in. I personally recommend keeping the air box lid on, especially if you ride in dusty, muddy, and or where there is a lot of water. You may notice a performance improvement with the air box lid off, just use caution if you go this route.

Good luck!