PDA

View Full Version : transmission break - bearing question

ToddL
05-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Had a transmission break and have been putting everything back together and have a question. The bearing that fits in the engine case is not fitting as tight as I would like.
The bearing that was in that spot exploded and the case got scarred a bit. Cleaned it up carefully as best I could.
It's not too bad.
So, any ideas on what I could use to make it a better fit ?
I see loctite has some metal bonder that I've heard works well.
was thinking about a couple drops of that around the outer part of the bearing before putting it in. Any ideas ?
Thanks!!!

bignasty
05-04-2010, 09:58 AM
There is something out on the heavy truck market called "Speedy Sleeve" and what this does is it fits really tight outside of the bearing to make-up a few tousandths . I dont know if they make them for smaller type bearings, but a drivetrain shop or bearing house might be able to help you....:)

Coley'sdad#8
05-04-2010, 01:49 PM
It will be hard to reach up in there and do but you can do what is called "Peening" where you take a center punch and make 2 punch marks about 180 degrees around from each other in the case where the O.D. of the bearing rides. the dimples will close up your fitment, you can make more peens if you want, this is a trick an old indian taught me from his knowlege of working on dogsleds so don't tell this secret to anyone. this trick also works great if you have a wheel bearing that has spun on a spindle, peen the spindle and knock on bearing.

CRBOGGAN
05-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Chris they would make you plant manager at my work if you know about things like this lol. But yes you are wright it should fix the problem. Just dont get to rough with your new bearing.

rebuiltoz
05-04-2010, 06:26 PM
hey todd, just something for you to look at. when trenton broke his tranny the same thing happen to us. the case also had a crack right under the tranny housing. the same thing when blaze broke his. i didnt notice ours and broke another set. so whenever someone breaks them i always say check the bottom of the case good. if its good peen away haha

Coley'sdad#8
05-05-2010, 05:20 AM
Chip, if Steel construction doesn't pick up I will have to bring my bag of tricks and whistles to your plant and see if I can get a job:D

ToddL
05-05-2010, 11:15 AM
thanks guys - my dad got ambitious and put it back in with
just a bit of Seal-all and it seems good. That stuff is oil/gas resistant, so it should hold up. I'm throwing it together later and we will see how it goes. Chris - "peening" is the way I'm going if it doesn't work. I looked at case and everything else seems fine.

Here's something funny - so learn!!!
Right before it broke, I was talking to another dad at the line
about a girl who broke her transmission for the 2nd time this
season during the first moto. I said "we've been lucky and
never broke one in 4 years of racing".
So, guess what broke 2 laps later.... :(
Lesson - Don't say ANYTHING at the line!!!
Jeff, if you're reading this don't laugh too hard!!!

Thanks guys!

mydirtkids
05-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Coley'sdad#8
Chip, if Steel construction doesn't pick up I will have to bring my bag of tricks and whistles to your plant and see if I can get a job:D

Or find your Indian dogsled buddy:D

RCR_531
05-09-2010, 03:13 PM
I was in Florida this Winter and a kid broke his. His father said it happens alot and he keep 2 spare trans in stock. One on the trailer and one at home. Is this normal? The Quad was built up and the kid was holding it wide open the whole time on the track and when it was in the air. Thanks

greenmachine70
05-09-2010, 07:06 PM
it is normal if you dont teach the kid to lift when he is in the air. I know several dads that keep all the extra trannys for this reason. For me it was much cheaper and easier to teach him to lift in the air.

RCR_531
05-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks, I will try and teach him to lift it didn't seem to cheap to keep changing out the trans gears

mydirtkids
05-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Good grief... our new 2010 DRR costs me $200+ every time to the track.. Would not be so bad if we could ride more than a lap or 2:mad:

Ok, so this time it is a little on the rider. Sons first supercross practice went a little something like this (after dad took the slipper sprocket off)...

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/mydirtkids/DRR/201005160128221.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/mydirtkids/DRR/201005160127261.jpg

http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy227/mydirtkids/DRR/201005160126541.jpg

These the cracks you mentioned??? Welding ok?

mydirtkids
05-16-2010, 01:39 AM
While back to this subject again, anyone try the DC or DS Modz tranny covers? Looks like the DS Modz is pretty good, has a channel for lubrication to the back of the bearing. Cant tell if the DC cover has that, the pic on g-force has the bearing installed...

rebuiltoz
05-16-2010, 07:04 AM
yes those are the cracks. i left the bearings and gears out and took the case in and had it tig welded. came home put it back together and havent had a problem since. stick to the slipper if possible. good luck

mydirtkids
05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
I am going to weld it tomorrow, the trick looks like trying not to burn thru. The other question is how the new bearing will seat when it is all said and done.

My son also has a Polaris 90 trail bike...Scrambler... we just call it Scram now because we have robbed so many parts off it lately. :D If the weld goes bad, guess I can steal the tranny off the Scram (then will have to call it SCRA!). Just did not want to split the cases to change it out cause thats when I start ... "well might as well do ceramic bearings, and porting, and PVL..." And there goes food for the next 6 mos!