PDA

View Full Version : how is a c class riders quad setup?

shane071489
05-03-2010, 08:29 PM
is a c class riders quad a full race blown bike? watched my first race ever at the nationals at birch creek and feel like i can compete in atleast the c class and was wondering if they have full motor work full suspension or if they are more of just a bolt on set up? any information would be helpful thanks

gsxr68
05-03-2010, 08:33 PM
most of them have more motor and suspension they can handle spend your money on riding and then more riding in that order

eastcoastpro20
05-03-2010, 10:07 PM
yea, the c class quads are def. full blown race quads

toby400ex
05-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Just get some good suspension, tires and a steering stabilizer.

shane071489
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
yeah i know its harder than it looks i just looked at it based on the jumps they were doing that i know i could do...and by no means am i saying id win ha cause i seen a few that was actually hitting the big jumps that were real fast, i was just wondering ya know how far off im looking at a bike that would compare and no i didnt mean racing at a nationals just like a close race i can find and trying it out ive never raced before rode all my life ride mostly just tracks i just love jumping the jumps, my girls seen me ride and she was the one that pointed out that she thinks i could compete pretty fairly not win hahaha

SRH
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Just get some good suspension, tires and a steering stabilizer.

:huh

national c riders are generally about the speed of the local slow a riders and fast b riders, generally have pretty set up quads.... most races youll see all the locals in c sandbaggin...

thing is with short motos 5 laps or less u better have a good motor if your racing guys who are competition because the start is crucial

however ive seen guys on mostly stock quads running pretty well in the c class, as with anything its all rider

shane071489
05-03-2010, 10:42 PM
well ive looked into getting into racing for a little while now just have nothing close...i have a pretty stock ltr cherrybomb full motoworks exhaust itp beadlocks with itp mxr6s i think or 4's just little stuff i was just wondering if i would evern be competitive in a local race or i say local closest thing i can find ha and is c gonna be the slowest class? or what do i need to start out at?

SRH
05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by shane071489
well ive looked into getting into racing for a little while now just have nothing close...i have a pretty stock ltr cherrybomb full motoworks exhaust itp beadlocks with itp mxr6s i think or 4's just little stuff i was just wondering if i would evern be competitive in a local race or i say local closest thing i can find ha and is c gonna be the slowest class? or what do i need to start out at?

a buddy of mine raced 4 stroke b and i beleive he won on a ltr with the same mods as you just said...btw its looks much easier than it is ...not to discourage you, i think it will be fun, but go in with low expectations and have a good time

jesseweaver
05-03-2010, 10:59 PM

yea thats plenty to start racing and yea C is where you'll wanna start. make sure you check what you need to race. i ride bikes so idk the rules on everything but im pretty sure you need a kill switch and maybe nerfs :confused:

Jake250ex
05-03-2010, 11:03 PM
you guys are nuts. it dont have crap to do with whats on your bike. my buddy ran with walker fowler and jamie bithell in college a all last year on a stock beat to death 450r. had re valves, a link, tires and a clark tank.

he usually is top 3, if not winning locals with XC1 riders

95% rider. just keep the damn thing in decent shape and running right, thats the real battle

4wheelinmatt
05-03-2010, 11:24 PM
I race national C when im not at school and yea we are all mostly on full race bikes. When I race the locals around the house Im just as fast as the A guys. I agree that is mostly rider but there comes a point stock just cant handle it. When in SC are you located?

SRH
05-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
you guys are nuts. it dont have crap to do with whats on your bike. my buddy ran with walker fowler and jamie bithell in college a all last year on a stock beat to death 450r. had re valves, a link, tires and a clark tank.

he usually is top 3, if not winning locals with XC1 riders

95% rider. just keep the damn thing in decent shape and running right, thats the real battle

xc is a completely diff animal you got 2+ hrs and there is alot of variables

mx is a sprint, without the basic riding skills it doesnt matter whats done to ur quad but i havent seen any guys at a national that didnt belong on the track i agree its all rider but without a fat wallet and a built quad your putting yourself at a big disadvantage

flyboy62
05-04-2010, 07:10 AM
i got have a stock motor with a pipe. +2 aarms +2 axle nerf bars handle bars motowoz shocks and tires. and your good. last year i ran a stock 450r with a pipe and i was riding at C level. alot of ppl think that it has to do with the bike but almost all of it has to do with the rider.

Pappy
05-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Big BIG step from local to national in the majority of the country...and C class is no exception. Only three stock quads I would consider out of the box as possible contenders with little work, the Can AM MX model, KTM MX Model and LTR, both deliver good power and a much more stable platform from the showroom floor.

Talent level aside, one of the biggest factors in C class (National level and local) is rider endurance. The first lap is usually close but after that the top 2, maybe 3 pull WAY ahead. If you are winning local C classes, then you MIGHT be mid pack at a National MX with exceptions of course.

The National tracks get brutal, suspension ofcourse is the key to better performance and IMO would benefit more then power. A good rider can usually overcome some power differences, but its hard to take a beating on a rough track.

Take the advice given here by the guys who actually run the nationals, they arent blowing smoke.....its a different ball game.

honda250xrider
05-04-2010, 08:03 AM
Most c riders at the national event are the local a riders it seems. Majority of the c class consists of top caliber bikes which would easily be able to race in the A and B class if the rider skill was up to par.

toby400ex
05-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by SRH

however ive seen guys on mostly stock quads running pretty well in the c class, as with anything its all rider
You said it yourself. The basics are good suspension, factory 450's put out some good power. The start is important though but power alone doesn't make you be able to pass people.. Just my 2 cents

shane071489
05-04-2010, 09:55 AM
yeah by no means do i mean id win let alone place i just seen the jumps they were doing and felt as if i knew i could do them ha...def wouldnt even try a nationals racer just looking into getting into racing and again by no means do i even think of me placing ha i mean i can ride ok but i do not expect a win let alone a placing just something i want to start out and was wondering if my quad was race ready for a c class race thanks for all the help

beastlywarrior
05-04-2010, 10:59 AM
wow sounds expensive, i think ill stay in cc classes

SRH
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
if you guys want some perspective i won the open c class at unadilla in 07, , my lap times both motos were 3 seconds off the 5th open a rider and within 1-2 seconds of the open b top riders

and it is all about the conditioning, my fastest laps were the last 2 of the race , the other guys in my class were the first 2, once they got tired i picked them off fairly easily...id say 1/3 of the guys in my class were local A riders, then a 1/3 were local c/b riders and 1/3 were running the class for the season

i raced englishtown about a month later for the wpsa and ran the c class, there was 50 riders signed up, i missed the qualifier by 1 position and won the lcq and finished 16th in the main and the leader beat me by about 30 seconds...

id say the wpsa i raced then is more like racing a national now

Derrick Adams
05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Well I seem to be a top 5 rider in C Class locally. I ran the last 3 Nationals with my 250R and now i'm sitting 9th in points with my best finish being 7th. I would say the top 4 or 5 guys are B class riders, the rest are normal C class riders.

However IMO, it takes a good suspension and a strong motor to run up front at Nationals. I'm running a stock rear shock and I can tell you it doesn't work out to well. The tracks are not groomed all day and they ROUGH.

I will also say that I agree. "It's not as easy as it looks."

shane071489
05-04-2010, 02:59 PM
oh yeah like ive said before i think i came off wrong in my post i just wanna get info on starting out racing ive rode for a long time on tracks and i feel like i can compete not that id win and my first race ill prob come in last ha just seen some riders doing the jumps i can do and thats what i looked at the most in starting racing was if i can do the jumps the other racers were

jjv101
05-04-2010, 03:12 PM
i raced two local races last year...didnt do so hot at alll, but it was a good experience and showed me what i needed to do. I was on a completely stock 450r. This year i plan to just practice and ride alot, maybe only spend money on a one or two races and see how things go....So i understand where your coming from, any sport on a national level isnt easy

its not just about jumps though...races can be won or lost at the corners!

madskrillz2
05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
C class is full of sandbaggers. I know because a guy that has always run expert here ran C two seasons ago.

Lehr 110
05-04-2010, 03:59 PM
upgrade suspension before motor...ive got 3rd in pro am on a stock motor.

every class has its sandbaggers..especially c

trick450r
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
The problem with local C-class is if your going in with a stock motor, your probably not going to get the holeshot. A lot of the people in C class have absolutely no idea what they are doing so unless your in the top 3 around the first corner your going to get caught up with all the numbscull's and rookies that are all charging for the first corner and none of them know what to do when they get their. With that said I would suggest if your gonna start out in C then just keep an eye on whats going on around you on the holeshot your better off letting off early and going around the bafoons under their quads in the drainage swamp than be taken out be them. From my experience with crashing (I should have a PHD in crashing quads) 90% of them happen in the first corner, if you can get past that you have half a chance at finishing.

I wish I had started in B and gotten my *** kicked for a season instead of starting in C having to deal with goons all day and then get forced into B next season and still have ground to make up.

shane071489
05-04-2010, 05:56 PM
geeze ha yeah just some jumps iono just still not comfortable with like im fine hitting doubles and stuff tached out in 3rd completely ha but never tried a double or anything in 4th havent really had any so thats why i seen i couldnt jump what the b and a's were...yeah i do decent in corners i wanna practice a lot this year and see how it goes i just really wanna do a race and see how it is atleast one this year to see if its something i wanna push hard ya know...yeah i also dont want some dumbass sandbagging it when im working my arse off ha

quad2xtreme
05-04-2010, 07:01 PM
None of the local A riders were running at Birch Creek in the C Class or even the B class. Cole Henry is top dog in District 13 and 29. He won Birch Creek A Class and finished 4 or 5th in Pro Am Unlimited. His brother Chase won 2 of the B classes. This is his first year racing a quad. He races B class locally also. The other guys I know all raced the National at the same level they race in District 13 and 29. One raced in the 15-17 class too and placed 3rd overall.

Lots of people talk about racing too and have never been on the line. Many also have signatures stating they race in a certain class and don't even race now.

/Jon

jjv101
05-04-2010, 07:16 PM
ok, this is going to sound like a noob question and probably make me look a little slow..but here it goes:
can someone explain the district thing to me? whats it part of? how do you get into it/find out what one your in etc..?

thanks hah

Lehr 110
05-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
None of the local A riders were running at Birch Creek in the C Class or even the B class. Cole Henry is top dog in District 13 and 29. He won Birch Creek A Class and finished 4 or 5th in Pro Am Unlimited. His brother Chase won 2 of the B classes. This is his first year racing a quad. He races B class locally also. The other guys I know all raced the National at the same level they race in District 13 and 29. One raced in the 15-17 class too and placed 3rd overall.

Lots of people talk about racing too and have never been on the line. Many also have signatures stating they race in a certain class and don't even race now.

/Jon

hope this isnt directed at me :rolleyes:

shane071489
05-04-2010, 08:29 PM
yeah i know absolutely nothing about racing so dontf eel bad ha all i do i watch and ride haha i just found out were having a race june 26 at a track about 4 hrs away i dont care for the track at all but i might still consider doing it for my first race not sure ive rode the track before its to compact like ill jump a double or step down and then they will have like a tiny single front that my quad will bottom out on im big into soft suspension ha its broad river adventure park if anyone has heard of it

eastcoastpro20
05-04-2010, 09:11 PM
best advise i can give you is upgrade all suspension first along with your steering stem. Like someone said earlier it gets extremely rough, also if you dont upgrade em youll brake em like i did cause at nationals your gna go faster and bigger

QuadJunkies
05-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Shane,
Your set up just fine the way you are right now ...just remember "baby steps" and you will get there in no time .
Make sure your suspension is dialed in .;)

My kids raced Nats when they were 7 and 10 years old . They raced on less than today quads offer and done just fine...
Go get em tiger !:macho

SRH
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Lehr 110

haha i was thinking that too...

one thing ive noticed is how ignorant most guys are when it comes to building a quad

i hear so many guys saying i need more motor...the reason they need more motor is 1 reason...they suck in the corners

at some point probably after they spent 3-4k on a race motor they cant afford to maintain theyll identify that could be a tiny bit of a problem

now if they already dont have a cheap front end that looks cool ill tell you what there going to do

there going to buy another higher up front end...maybe ditch the budget lsr arms for the lt ones...from there there going to get a shock and bolt it on adjust it so it doesnt bottom out

now with there poorly dialed out of the box shocks and no real dedication to improving corner speed, theyll try to squeeze more power out of the motor because there still lacking... eventually they give up or figure it out

the sandbagging isnt as bad as it use to be i raced a national in 05 it was bad... i ended up 45th out of 62 in the c class...and i was winning b class locally... of course i was sandbagging as well but if you cant beat em..join em haha

prior to that 02 i went to southwick.. c class was crazy fast compared to the local level...id say it will be weeded out pretty good in the next few yrs

jesseweaver
05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
C class is full of sandbaggers. I know because a guy that has always run expert here ran C two seasons ago.

yea and its really bad with the bikes, i hate it. usually about the top 3 C guys will be only a hair slower than your average A guy.

madskrillz2
05-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
yea and its really bad with the bikes, i hate it. usually about the top 3 C guys will be only a hair slower than your average A guy.

Oh yeah that too. It's even bad locally around here with bikes. Haha that's one thing that keeps me away from bikes. C class is just crazy fast here. Maybe if they had an E class I'd give it a try.

shane071489
05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
yeha guys dont worry about me trying to build some race motor im not gonna go pro racing so im not building something un reliable that is gonna cost me more than my quad to keep up only thing else i might do is intake...QUADJUNKIES my suspension is setup stock i love how it is though its getting a hair to soft though, im scared to mess with it because i know nothing about it ha...one question when im coming into a corner hard and i try to rail it sometimes i actually spin all the way out and that cant be happening in a race haha so what is causing that my whole bike consists of this...nerf bars, tag skid plate, full motoworks pipe, itp beadlocks, itp mxr6s or 4s dont rem. stock front tires, g force rear axle, cherry bomb i think thats everything...im looking into getting a steering stabilizer or do yall have any other suggestions i dont wanna dump awhole lot of money in it since im going back to school...QUADJUNKIES i got a job finally after 6 months of looking what a relief so when yall parting with some more stuff hook me up ill be ready to buy haha

muddy400EX
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
yeha guys dont worry about me trying to build some race motor im not gonna go pro racing so im not building something un reliable that is gonna cost me more than my quad to keep up only thing else i might do is intake...QUADJUNKIES my suspension is setup stock i love how it is though its getting a hair to soft though, im scared to mess with it because i know nothing about it ha...one question when im coming into a corner hard and i try to rail it sometimes i actually spin all the way out and that cant be happening in a race haha so what is causing that my whole bike consists of this...nerf bars, tag skid plate, full motoworks pipe, itp beadlocks, itp mxr6s or 4s dont rem. stock front tires, g force rear axle, cherry bomb i think thats everything...im looking into getting a steering stabilizer or do yall have any other suggestions i dont wanna dump awhole lot of money in it since im going back to school...QUADJUNKIES i got a job finally after 6 months of looking what a relief so when yall parting with some more stuff hook me up ill be ready to buy haha

spinning out could be to much air in your rear tires, more air cause less traction, less air causes more, try letting a little air out and it may help. but dont let so much out that you cant slide at all without two wheeling.

also alot is throttle control, dont pin the throttle coming out of a turn if you feel yourself sliding to far, tap it until you know that youll go straight

and suspension is a try and fail type of deal, mess with a little,then ride, tweak some more and ride. until you get it the way you want it. i actually softened my stock shocks, they were stiff as hell when i got it. goin fast through the woods felt like i was ridin a log wagon,lol

QuadJunkies
05-04-2010, 10:54 PM

MY boy bent two shock bolts this week so watch how soft you are racing them.:p
I might have you some tires to buy (Maxxis) but I think thats about it .
Glad your liking that pipe !
Your tires and suspension will be your biggest sucess to your racing over any motor work .Hooking up properly and learning your shocks will make you faster and stay safer ;)
Keep an eye one used stabilizers .Also you might check for race support on hookit.com I know Pro Moto Billet/Fastway sponsors riders, you might be able to get a Fastway System on there for a decent price .

quad2xtreme
05-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Lehr 110
LOL, not at all Randy. I can vouch for your having years of experience racing and reaching a level most never will.

flyboy62
05-05-2010, 07:25 AM
as for me, the only reason that i am racing C this year is for the expierence. i have never really raced so i think racing C will help me out for B next year

shane071489
05-05-2010, 08:54 AM
it is about time for some new tires ha let me know what kinda deal you can get i really want some dwt beadlocks i looked at them at the nationals and almost bought them ha, do i want a used stabilizer? thought they wear out and have to be rebuilt and stuff thats why i asked...well im just starting out to let me know what you did or how you went about starting i dont even know what to expect haha the more help the better haha thanks everyone for the info so far

mx8
05-05-2010, 09:41 AM
When I raced the nationals they used to have a stock class, don't know if they still do. I would say if it were me I would skip the c class and race the B class. I think that B riders are a bit more experienced and not first year riders that are out of control. A little safer maybe. Also if I were to do everything over again, I would not waste time with fair races, or small mx tracks. Not much ride time and to small of a track, you also waste to much money riding one moto and sitting all day long. I would practice at a nice track a few days a week, and race a nice big mx track every so often. Then hit the nationals, you will save money this way plus get alot more ride time, then racing one moto at the local track. And if you have a small budget,get the shocks and a arms done first they will help more than motor work will. Most people can't ride there stock bike to it's full potential anyways. Hope this helps, ride safe and be smart. Remember it's only a 2.00 dollar trophy your racing for. Good luck.

QuadJunkies
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
it is about time for some new tires ha let me know what kinda deal you can get i really want some dwt beadlocks i looked at them at the nationals and almost bought them ha, do i want a used stabilizer? thought they wear out and have to be rebuilt and stuff thats why i asked...well im just starting out to let me know what you did or how you went about starting i dont even know what to expect haha the more help the better haha thanks everyone for the info so far
Dont buy a stick style stabilizer, they are junk and do wear quicker than others... go with the Precision or Fastway .
Like anything you buy used, its always a gamble but I think the majority of stabilizers used have been fine.

shane071489
05-05-2010, 11:32 AM
yeah i know what your saying about safety...yeah i have no big mx tracks even close that i know of i ride at durhamtown rode at broadriver the other week its basically just all little tracks, i have no desire to race at a nationals ha i just wanna get out and ride and see how i compare i love riding on a track and just wanna try to race a little i ride no where near enough to improve drastically everything is 2 1/2 to 4hrs away besides for this little track thats never maintained by me its about an hr away...ok ill look into the steering stabilizer, is there anything else that is like a must? how do the stock ltr shocks turn out after getting revalved?