PDA

View Full Version : Runs good then runs like poop HELP!!!!

wakaa06
05-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Im new here but I just got my 99 400ex back from the shop after they did the cam chain,guide,tensionor,cylinder,starter clutch and intake boot, but anyway I was riding sunday and it would run good for 15-20 mins then when you went to give it throttle it woiuld want to die on me until I pull the clutch in then it would run fine again any help or tips would be extremely helpful Thanks

hocman123
05-04-2010, 05:03 AM
if i were u i would turn it around and bring it back to were it was worked on and tell them they messed up bad and they have to fix it

if it really is there fault most would fix it for nothing

wakaa06
05-04-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm tired of dealing with the place I called and told them about itand he said it sounds like the carb but idk I sucks cause this is my first quad I also noticed that its hard to find neutrul u have to put it in 1st and let it out some then it will go into neutrul this just sucks cause I just paid 850 bucks for them to fix it

aDviSol2y
05-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Bring it back to them

wakaa06
05-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I am planning on it but I cant afford to put out any more money towards it right now Thanks

wakaa06
05-04-2010, 05:38 PM
my buddy said he noticed that there was white smoke coming out of my exhaust he said it means it might be running lean any help will be appriciated Thanks

MidnightBlade
05-04-2010, 05:49 PM
as far as going into nuetral...live with it. lol. all honda's with a clutch are like that once they get broke in. ya take the carb off anf take all the parts out and spray the **** out of it with carb and choke cleaner, then spray all the parts off with 70PSI or more to get all the dust and grit off then slap it back together and RIDE. P.S. if you think you cant remember or dont think at all (me) draw a diagram or take a pic of the carb before you dismantle the innards. then you have something to go by putting it back togther. and as far as jetting what all mods are on it? and what is the main jet size and pilot jet size (engraved on the sides of the jets). have fun. lol

440ex. ehhh!!
05-04-2010, 06:00 PM
yea i have a 2001 440 and also have whitish blue smoke coming out for the first 2 mins, then its fine, and its also hard for me to find neutral, it often just skips into 2nd
are you sure the choke is off when you are giving it throttle, i noticed on mine, the vibrations cause it to slide forward into the on position, so i have a tie rap around it so it doesn't go on when i dont want it to.
Josh.

wakaa06
05-04-2010, 06:33 PM
the mods i have are k&n air filter,hmf exhaust,durablue axle all this stuff was on it when i bought it.I was told it had a 416 kit in it when I bought it then the shop worked on it and all it had was a hi comp piston but the shop said my cylinder was unrepairable and they put an 07 cylinder on it with 1 over stock. so im not sure of the jet size I will check when I get back home. My choke does pop up on me but i fixed it with a rubber banned. Thanks for all the help.

MidnightBlade
05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
id put in a 160 main and 42 pilot. then do some plug chops and keep going down on the main until the tip of the plug is gray/tan then ur set. if it is white right now it is lean if its black its rich if its tan/gray its close.

wakaa06
05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Im new to the whole quad thing so whats a plug chop? I bought a clymer manual for it would it help me any with my prob?

MidnightBlade
05-04-2010, 07:18 PM
ok, a plug chop is when you get to about 4th gear at WOT then top it out in 4th. while you are still on the throttle squeeze the clutch and hit the killswitch at the same time, dont let it decel at all. pull of the road without starting it then wait for the plug to cool off enough to take it out and look at the tip of the plug (i explained the colors in my last post)