PDA

View Full Version : So whats the skinny on this oil spill??

QuadJunkies
05-03-2010, 09:40 AM
I havent had time to read up or watch the news but the ole man told me today they got a letter at work stating fuel prices could be reaching 4.50 or more per gallon this summer .

This sucks and will put a damper on our racing travel . :mad:

Jigsaw
05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Damn I just spent 40 to fill up my truck and that's with 1 dollar off a gallon. By summer ill be paying 130!

F-16Guy
05-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I havent had time to read up or watch the news but the ole man told me today they got a letter at work stating fuel prices could be reaching 4.50 or more per gallon this summer .

Which is pure crap, since the amount of oil we pump domestically is a tiny fraction of what we consume. It's just another excuse for us to bend over and take it this year. I'm sure plenty of people will get even more filthy rich off of this scam, but it won't be me.

smr
05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
I wonder what really happen. Obama was really trying hard to get more units out there pumping oil and this happens....I wonder if we will ever know what caused it.

QuadJunkies
05-03-2010, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Which is pure crap, since the amount of oil we pump domestically is a tiny fraction of what we consume. It's just another excuse for us to bend over and take it this year. I'm sure plenty of people will get even more filthy rich off of this scam, but it won't be me.

Thats what I was kinda thinking myself ! :mad:

I guess someones gotta pay for others screw ups so why not us ! :rolleyes:

derekhonda
05-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Which is pure crap for many reasons:

1. This rig was doing exploratory drilling. Meaning, they were just on the search for oil, not actually putting barrels of oil into production each day.

2. This rig is one of around 100 ( Ithink) that does off shore drilling for the united states. Meaning, Even if it was not exploratory, this rig going down, decreases out net domestic production by about 1%, and when the grand picture is looked at between imported foreign oil and our domestic production, is so minuscule its closer to 0% of our oil, and it going out of order doesn't affect us.

3. The only reason oil would go up, is since the government is forcing (and I don't blame them) BP to cover all the costs associated with the clean up, they will be passing that costs on to us.

QuadJunkies
05-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Which is pure crap for many reasons:

1. This rig was doing exploratory drilling. Meaning, they were just on the search for oil, not actually putting barrels of oil into production each day.

2. This rig is one of around 100 ( Ithink) that does off shore drilling for the united states. Meaning, Even if it was not exploratory, this rig going down, decreases out net domestic production by about 1%, and when the grand picture is looked at between imported foreign oil and our domestic production, is so minuscule its closer to 0% of our oil, and it going out of order doesn't affect us.

3. The only reason oil would go up, is since the government is forcing (and I don't blame them) BP to cover all the costs associated with the clean up, they will be passing that costs on to us.

I guess the letter said something about the clean up costs and rising costs.

ben300
05-03-2010, 12:19 PM

some clean up costs, considering tht they just lit it on fire last week in hopes of keeping it from getting in the golf stream and heading out towards the atlantic

derekhonda
05-03-2010, 01:06 PM

Still, in which case BP prices should go up, but say, ABC gas company, it should have no effect on them. But, since they are all in cahoots, I'm sure you are right. This however is price fixing, and highly illegal.

yellowzo3
05-03-2010, 01:36 PM
I heard $5.00 a gallon sometime this summer.

Basically the BOP (blow out preventer) failed which is I guess the last and final resort to stop oil from flowing.
Oil is still flowing into the ocean though... It isn't one amount of oil that has spilled into the ocean. Its basically like a river of oil that keeps flowing. So who knows what will happen with that or how much will actually end up in the Gulf.

05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
I would pay $10 a gallon if I had to as long as this doesnt ruin my life. I swear if it hits as hard as planned I will hand deliver the noose. Drill the oil on your own side of the ocean and **** up your country not mine. BP sons a *****es. It litterally scares me that this is happening. No going to beaches for decades, no fish or boating for decades, coral reefs destroyed... in all seriousness, someone should be getting hung over this. Yeah I'm mad because it can ruin my whole life.

416exfreak
05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
It should hit the beaches in my area by early next week..

Hitting destin tonight and St. George Island between Wednesday and Sunday.

This ruins going to the beach for the next good minute.. along with local fishing..

And to think I was actually contemplating staying in point place after graduation.. silly me.:ermm:

05-03-2010, 09:13 PM
^ damn it all! WTF BP better be paying everyone in the state for ruining everything in this state and then us losing tourism, as much as I hate when things are crowded with toursist it is great or the state and keeps prices down for me.

05-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Guess it's time for me to buy a 4 banger beater. :o

toby400ex
05-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-DunerUtah
Guess it's time for me to buy a 4 banger beater. :o Ive been looking for an excuse to buy a Festiva!

mineralgrey01gt
05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
it already hit us here. In biloxi there has been sitings of birds with oil on them on the beaches. Our fishing here is ruined for quite some time. Also they are claiming its 20+yrs for oysters again down here after this.

trx310R#24
05-04-2010, 12:00 AM
life is a scam.. its just all about being on the right end of the deal if your not on the right end change that. if you dont know how to change that... (STOCK MARKET)
:rolleyes:

now you do...

trx310R#24
05-04-2010, 12:15 AM
BP says leak flow rates remain unchecked

* Valves in blowout preventer closed, but seals failed

(Adds detail from news conference)

HOUSTON, May 3 (Reuters) - The flow rate of the oil leak in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico remains unchanged despite efforts to fix a failed blowout preventer, a BP <BP.L> <BP.N> spokesman said on Monday.

A massive oil spill is edging towards the Gulf Coast shoreline, after BP's drilling rig exploded and ruptured a well nearly two weeks ago, gushing about 5,000 barrels of crude oil per day.

Spokesman David Nicholas said the rate was unchanged in response to local Alabama media reports that the flow had been significantly cut.

Doug Suttles, chief operating officer for BP's exploration and production unit, said further at a briefing on Monday that the blowout preventer that failed has devices that can be closed to cut the pipe leading to the well and seal off the flow.

He said measurements show those devices are closed, but the seals have not worked "for whatever reason." so the flow has not been curtailed.

"As soon as we get the flow stopped or captured, we will report that," Suttles said. (Reporting by Kristen Hays and Joshua Schneyer; Editing by Marguerita Choy) ((kristen.hays@thomsonreuters.coml +1 713-210-8538; Reuters Messaging: kristen.hays.reuters.com@reuters.))

trx310R#24
05-04-2010, 12:22 AM
the companys seems to be hurting from this but investers are going to buy the living hell out of this company! im buying all the shares i can! :devil:

bens250ex
05-04-2010, 08:48 AM
if fuel does go up i will be parking my truck. im not payin $4 a gallon for fuel again. ill figure somethin else out but my truck will be chillin in the drive way.

bens250ex
05-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I would pay $10 a gallon if I had to as long as this doesnt ruin my life. I swear if it hits as hard as planned I will hand deliver the noose. Drill the oil on your own side of the ocean and **** up your country not mine. BP sons a *****es. It litterally scares me that this is happening. No going to beaches for decades, no fish or boating for decades, coral reefs destroyed... in all seriousness, someone should be getting hung over this. Yeah I'm mad because it can ruin my whole life.

i agree make them pay not us...this is a ****ed up world we live in.....

feuerstack411
05-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I read about this last night.

This oil spill is not going to make our gas prices go up. The reason there might be a slight increase of gas prices is because the recession is "over"and all the Asain countries (ie: China, aka the biggest Auto market in the world) are starting to use more and more oil again.

Scro
05-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by feuerstack411
I read about this last night.

This oil spill is not going to make our gas prices go up. The reason there might be a slight increase of gas prices is because the recession is "over"and all the Asain countries (ie: China, aka the biggest Auto market in the world) are starting to use more and more oil again.

It may not be a cause, but I guarantee you it will be used as an excuse when gas is $4.50 a gallon.

YOURADHERE
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Its quite a screw up around here. The state of La opened an emergency shrimp season a few weeks earlier than it was supposed to start(offically opens May 10th) so that the boats could get out and try to fish. However as of today that season is closed and commercial and recreational fishing are banned for ATLEAST the next 10 days from the mouth of the Mississippi River across to parts of Florida. So anyone who depends on the Gulf as a way of making a living is in a hole. Shrimpers, oysters, charter boats, etc. BP is however offering contracts to displaced fishing vessels to assist in the clean up so its not a total loss. There has yet to be a confirmed report on when this area will be functioning at full capacity again and Im sure there wont be until the leak is plugged and cleanup is underway. So watch as not only the price of fuel, but the price of seafood goes sky high.

One_Bad_400
05-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by bens250ex
if fuel does go up i will be parking my truck. im not payin $4 a gallon for fuel again. ill figure somethin else out but my truck will be chillin in the drive way.

i've been strongly considering one them 50cc scooters. they get like 130 mpg:o and you'll look like a total bad arse with your grocerys in the basket on the handle bars

bens250ex
05-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
i've been strongly considering one them 50cc scooters. they get like 130 mpg:o and you'll look like a total bad arse with your grocerys in the basket on the handle bars

yea ill be doin somethin whether its a go ped or bike ill pimp it as long as i only have to spends 10 bucks a week in gas lol.

bens250ex
05-04-2010, 10:39 AM

yea ill be doin somethin whether its a go ped or bike ill pimp it as long as i only have to spends 10 bucks a week in gas lol.

Chit
05-04-2010, 11:04 AM

May be a little unsafe, and uncool.

Buy a wagon to pull behind your scooter when you go shopping.

yellowhonda400
05-04-2010, 12:41 PM
in plain english were are effed. IMO we bp should pay for everything. We shouldnt have to pay we didn't do anything they messed up so they should pay but thats big business the little people will always pay

trx310R#24
05-04-2010, 01:56 PM
made 1,000 cuz of an oil spill =p buy stock in bp! make money....

QuadJunkies
05-04-2010, 03:01 PM
IVe thought the same thing ...:p

05-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by YOURADHERE
So anyone who depends on the Gulf as a way of making a living is in a hole. Shrimpers, oysters, charter boats, etc. BP is however offering contracts to displaced fishing vessels to assist in the clean up so its not a total loss.

My point is people that make a living off of fishing and what not is BP going to pay them for the years maybe the rest of their life for now not having a job? I better be getting a check in the mail to pay for the seafood I love to eat which will now probably have a big price inflation since most of the seafood we love comes right from our own waters. Like grouper and stone crab. Now they dont know if they can clean it all up. Seriously its messed up big time. I say drown the stupid asses that allowed this to happen in the oil.

05-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Were having alot of trouble finding buyers for our clams.... you could always come buy some clams from nc if you want :D

YOURADHERE
05-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Im sure they will receive some compensation but I highly doubt they'll get rich off it. There was a class action suit filed on behalf of the shrimpers but to my suprise it was only for $5 million. I'd be willing to bet that the ones that contracted with BP may very likely be making more now then they were before. And honestly, it was an accident. There will likely be no soul person(s) named responsible.

fasterblaster09
05-04-2010, 06:43 PM
My point is people that make a living off of fishing and what not is BP going to pay them for the years maybe the rest of their life for now not having a job? I better be getting a check in the mail to pay for the seafood I love to eat which will now probably have a big price inflation since most of the seafood we love comes right from our own waters. Like grouper and stone crab. Now they dont know if they can clean it all up. Seriously its messed up big time. I say drown the stupid asses that allowed this to happen in the oil.

I think you are pointing the finger a little too much. The safety of this company is one of if not the strictest. Some things just happen. I don't think they have a toggle switch labeled "blow up/ not blow up". not that simple

ben300
05-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
I think you are pointing the finger a little too much. The safety of this company is one of if not the strictest. Some things just happen. I don't think they have a toggle switch labeled "blow up/ not blow up". not that simple

exactly...trust me, bp did not want this to happen, and would love for it to just go away. there are somethings that are out of their control, like the thousands of gallons of oil that are leaking directly from the ocean floor wear the well was drilled, some 5000 feet down. accidents happen. and also, if we're gonna point fingers, we should also point fingers at the companies like schlumberger who build the on and off shore oil rigs, considering the dang thing sunk to the ocean floor.

ohh and flew, im pretty sure you'r not getting a settlement check, BP could problaby care less, and has bigger problems than worrying about your tasty fish you eat

danhung11
05-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ben300
exactly...trust me, bp did not want this to happen, and would love for it to just go away. there are somethings that are out of their control, like the thousands of gallons of oil that are leaking directly from the ocean floor wear the well was drilled, some 5000 feet down. accidents happen. and also, if we're gonna point fingers, we should also point fingers at the companies like schlumberger who build the on and off shore oil rigs, considering the dang thing sunk to the ocean floor.

ohh and flew, im pretty sure you'r not getting a settlement check, BP could problaby care less, and has bigger problems than worrying about your tasty fish you eat

Good post! Everyone needs to remember, there were 11 workers that lost their lives. Don't take me the wrong way, this isn't pretty from all angles, but the whole ordeal would have been prevented if it could have been. Some of these responses are absolutely beyond words, ignorant.

ben300
05-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
Good post! Everyone needs to remember, there were 11 workers that lost their lives. Don't take me the wrong way, this isn't pretty from all angles, but the whole ordeal would have been prevented if it could have been. Some of these responses are absolutely beyond words, ignorant.

agreed...sometimes i think ppl need to logically think at times before they post and look immature..i understand that people get up set, **** it upsets me that this is happening to our environment. i love the ocean, but accidents happen.

05-04-2010, 08:36 PM
Ok but the dangers they were well aware of, this isnt the 1st oil spill to happen. Wheres the shut off valve that works? No safety regulations or what? And Obama was going to allow them to put rigs 10 miles off the coast!?! 10 miles it would have been here in a day and ruined everything. Not to mention it will ruin the coastline view and for those into boating and what not.

**Racial slurs aren't going to be tolerated**:grr:

J.Brown121
05-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
there were 11 workers that lost their lives.

Dang, I didn't know that. In the long run that is the real tragedy with this whole thing. Nature will eventually be back to where it was before, but the families of these men will never recover.

YOURADHERE
05-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok but the dangers they were well aware of, this isnt the 1st oil spill to happen. Wheres the shut off valve that works? No safety regulations or what? And Obama was going to allow them to put rigs 10 miles off the coast!?! 10 miles it would have been here in a day and ruined everything. Not to mention it will ruin the coastline view and for those into boating and what not.

Wow....let me guess...you're 14 and from Florida, right? Regardless of how dangerous it was does not excuse the loss of human life. Thats like just shrugging it off if you were killed in a car wreck...afterall driving is dangerous, right? To be honest Im was rather impressed and glad Obama was going to allow for more drilling. Doing so would help to alleviate our dependance on foreign oil. Ruin the view? Please. You are aware there are currently rigs within 10 miles of the coast, right? Its a bad situation and like mentioned you cant point fingers at anyone. Transocean, BP, Obama, the oilfield in general, etc. It was an accident. Not an act of negligence or ignorance. Could have been prevented had they acted right away? How? Couldnt get much quicker then what they were. The rig sank and within a day there were ROVs on the bottom trying to stop the leak, and they're still working to do so. Regardless of what you think about about Obama, and trust me I dont like him either, his race has nothing to do with it. Remember, we've had plenty of crappy presidents before...all of which were white. :D And I know this is going to sound selfish but I'd honestly prefer(IF) the oil has to hit land that it do so further east on sandy beaches. Reason being is cleaning up oiled sand is alot easier and takes less time then already fragile coastal wetlands.

tp300ex
05-04-2010, 09:32 PM
most asked question at work this week....
can we freeze oysters?
also the shrimp and oyster sells around here have gone up a pretty good bit...its gonna suck for some time but pointing a finger wont help anything! i hope they can fix it soon and from what i have heard the mississippi river delta flow has helped keep the oil from getting to deep in the marsh as of right now!

feuerstack411
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM

And in a different circumstance you would probably be hating on him too because he would be a "tree hugging douche bag who is afraid to drill".

honda350r
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM

I am sad, that I have to share the world with people like you.

05-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by YOURADHERE
Wow....let me guess...you're 14 and from Florida, right?

Completely incorrect statements

Originally posted by feuerstack411
And in a different circumstance you would probably be hating on him too because he would be a "tree hugging douche bag who is afraid to drill".

After this incident if its a place like water where it spreds very easily and there are no safety precautions to stop it in the event of an emergency then I dont think it should be done.

Ruby Soho
05-04-2010, 09:48 PM
im already paying 3.30 for diesel, this summer is going to suck for driving!

derekhonda
05-05-2010, 07:21 AM

After this incident if its a place like water where it spreds very easily and there are no safety precautions to stop it in the event of an emergency then I dont think it should be done.

So how do you recommend procurring oil einstein?

YOURADHERE
05-06-2010, 09:11 AM

You say that as if oil spills are an everyday occurance. :rolleyes: A very large part of oil production is done off shore.

YOURADHERE
05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I saw they were heading out with one of the domes in an attempt to stop the leak(s). They saw it should be inplace in a couple days. Hope it works.

05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
So how do you recommend procurring oil einstein?

how about automatic shutoff valves of some sort?

derekhonda
05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Had a shut off valve, failed. Next answer?

05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Had a shut off valve, failed. Next answer?

Um I know that... from one of my previous post "Wheres the shut off valve that works?". Obviously it was planned to never have to be shut off which is stupid. No safety checks? All together it was/is a stupid situation that could have been prevented. They even said if action was taken right away they could have contained it in a day. Obama didnt step in until like the 9th day?

<DRS>GPF
05-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Obama didnt step in until like the 9th day?

:rolleyes:

Bryson#221
05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
I haven't been on here in a while...but I saw this post & it just breaks my heart.

Since my Minor is Marine Biology...I've got such a soft spot for all those poor sea animals. This whole thing is just so sad :(

feuerstack411
05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
. Obama didnt step in until like the 9th day?

lulz because obviously it's Obams fault.

I'm not Obama dick rider, I don't like him either, but jesus man, grow up and be realistic.

u mad?

Tommy Warren
05-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Obviously it was planned to never have to be shut off which is stupid. No safety checks? They even said if action was taken right away they could have contained it in a day. Obama didnt step in until like the 9th day?

It was an exploritory drill.....I'm sure they had plans to shut it off:rolleyes: It may have passed this "safety check" and failed afterwards how do you know they didn't so a "safety check":rolleyes: how would you go about containing thousands of gallons of oil in the ocean in one day?:rolleyes:

ben300
05-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
It was an exploritory drill.....I'm sure they had plans to shut it off:rolleyes: It may have passed this "safety check" and failed afterwards how do you know they didn't so a "safety check":rolleyes: how would you go about containing thousands of gallons of oil in the ocean in one day?:rolleyes:

he dont know...and thats the fact...

he's just on here, blabling his immaturity....just like he's done millions of times before....

like we all know...accidents happen, and we can do all we can to prevent them, but we are never gonna be able to fully stop them...its jsut a simple fact of life...