PDA

View Full Version : 450r smoking really bad

400man
05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I recently traded for a 05 450r (that was a very bad mistake and I just wasnt thinking straight when I made the deal :scary: ) that wasnt running at the time, the boy said all it needed was a stator, and that it ran perfect before it just shut off on him, tried a stator off his buddies bike and it fired right up. So my first thought on this trade was "easy fix" then maybe sell and make a few extra bucks. so I got a stator for it and installed it, makes a big fat blue spark, but the bike wont fire up. cleaned the carb, then go to check the valves.......and find one of the long valve cover bolts broke off in the head, and the short bolt is almost stripped out, thats what really pissed me off cause I knew then I really got shafted :mad: (DONT EVER take somebodys word on a bike that is not running) . also find that it is one tooth out of time. so I get that all back where it should be and .......kick, kick, kick, still not one even pop or fart. so I take and have my brother pull start it with my 400ex and when it finally fires up.......THICK white smoke comes out the pipe, then later turns blue and thins down. it revs real rough like its way rich for a minute, then it finally cleares up a little, but still puffs a little blue smoke. it stinks just like a old car buning oil. I rode it a few minutes and then parked it (disgusted with myself and what a bad decision I made :( ) .right now I got it listed on craigslist to try and get rid of it, but the past couple days ive been thinking about pulling the topend to see just how bad a shape it is, and if its real bad, maybe split the whole motor and fix it back right, and then keep it and ride it.

so my question is, when these 450s smoke like this, is it pretty bad news or just a simple job like new piston kit and gaskets/seals? and if it comes to it, a new cylinder?

400man
05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
heres some pics of it. its got a few extras like +2 a-arms, lonestar axle and pro armor nerfbars, and only things it needs is a grab bar, airbox, and new tires.

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/450r008.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/450r006.jpg
http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/ky2stroker/450r007.jpg

nskukalek79
05-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Does it only start when you pull start it, or can you kick it over now after you got it running?

My guess would be it probably just needs a new piston and rings...if it's bad enough you might have to renikacil the cylinder. But if it does run i wouldn't think youd have to buy a new cylinder.

But if you can get a good enough offer on craigslist that would be your best bet. You never know what else will go wrong in that motor. With the timing off for who knows how long it could be well on it's way for some major damage.

But goodluck...It sucks that there are people out there who would intentionaly give you that quad knowing they are ripping you off.

nskukalek79
05-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Another thing that could be causing this is if your collent is getting through a gasket and burning up. This happened to a friend of mine, he just had to replace a gasket. But it was causing a lot of blue smoke to pure out of his exhaust. Maybe you'll get lucky and just have this minor problem.

400man
05-03-2010, 12:00 PM
well the only way im really gonna know is to pull the head and check it out. and there is one more thing I forgot to mention, there was pressure released when I unscrewed the oil cap on the kicker side of the motor. this was after I rode it for a bit. it only done it one time, cause I rode it a little bit today and it didnt do it. what would cause that?? would it be blowby or anything? I check the vent hoses and they are all clear.

fastredrider44
05-03-2010, 12:04 PM
What do you want for it as it sits?:devil:

400man
05-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
What do you want for it as it sits?:devil:

sent you a pm!!!

siggy konowaluk
05-03-2010, 08:05 PM
get some rings and maybe a piston and she will run like a champ

Jake250ex
05-17-2010, 02:57 PM
wanna sale that hmf + trade for my exhaust?

stock headpipe with a dg exxcelerator big core silencer, all in good shape

300racer
05-18-2010, 12:36 PM
i would put a new top end on it. look on ebay for a good used cylinder for $100 bucks and get new rings and piston.