PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

rhandw69
01-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Can anyone email me the instruction from the Clymer Manual on installing the cam and head. If anyone could fax it to me, my fax number 253-982-5190. I just need to see the instructions on setting the timing rite, and how to install the cam correctly. I know how the cam goes in, but I cant remember if you are supposed to put oil in the head where the cam goes and how much you put if any at all.
Thanks
Rhan

fourwhls
01-30-2003, 09:43 AM
I don't have the repair manual here with me, but I've done it enough that I know the precedure. (This is for a 400ex)

First of all there is not a specific orientation that the cam gear is installed on the cam. You can install it 180 out and it works the same way.

Pour about 1/2 a quart of oil into the crackcase through the head when reassembling. Make sure you get some oil on the cam, bearings, and tops of rockers.

NOTE: There is a pin and spring located in the head that rides on the decompression mechanism on the cam. Make sure you still have it and put it back into place.

A lot of aftermarket cams do away with the decompression mechanism, but if using a Sparks cam or stock cam you will need the pin and spring.

As far as timing, I have attached a quick sketch of the timing marks. Rotate the cam untill the two marks on the cam gear are parallel with the top of the head.

Another quick tip....the bolts that hold the head cover on are not all the same size. There are a few long ones and a bunch of shorter ones. The shorter ones are not all the same. There is one bolt that is about 2 to 3mm longer than the others. This is for a reason. Make sure that bolt goes in the right place. Put all the bolts in and before threading them in, make sure they are all sitting the same height above the head cover. If you put the wrong bolt in, you will strip the threads in the head like many of us have done. If I am not mistaken, the longer bolt goes in the second hole from the back on the left hand side(shifter side), if you are sitting on the bike.

I hope I have helped you out. Let me know if you are still in a bind.

fourwhls

rhand, the sketch I put together is too big. Give me your e-mail and I will send it to you.