PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bearing removal

QuadRid3r442
05-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I have my motor all torn apart and decided to replace my main bearings for the crankshaft that sit inside the case. But, when i went to go remove them, i couldn't get them out. The first one I tried was the special roller bearing and tried to get on the otherside of it and tap it with a flat head/rubber mallet gently but nothing happend. I don't have a bearing puller or anything like that. I've looked some things up and people say to either put it in the oven at 200 degrees, or, put it in the freezer, and then torch the bearing. Can I just heat the bearings up and they'll come out? I really don't want to put my cases in the freezer and especially not the oven. And like I said, they'r estill inside the case. A lot of the DIY's and videos in other places show people trying to get the bearings off the crank. So how can I get them out?

Thanks

400cc
05-02-2010, 02:00 PM
use a press to press the bearings out of the case, i had to do it on my cases

QuadRid3r442
05-02-2010, 02:04 PM
any idea where to get one? do they have to be machine-specific or are they universal for the most part? and is a tool i can grab on motosport.com or somethin or is it a specialty tool that im gonna have to go on motionpro.com and order?

400cc
05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
if you need to get the bearings out of your case you'll either have to go to a automotive place and have it removed or try another method of getting them out. i don't really know how much a press cost but not really worth it to get one if you're just going to be removing 2 bearings

if you need to get the bearings off the crank they make a bearing puller made to get bearings off cranks that you can buy online

slainwarrior
05-05-2010, 10:35 AM
i usually just lay the case flat and use a socket as close to the size of the bearing i can find and carefully tap it out with a hammer... then freeze the new bearings and lightly heat the case where the bearings gonna go until when you spray water it evaporates then the frozen bearings just slide in like butter

sunco
05-06-2010, 05:25 AM
Unfornately for me , all I had to do was take a few bolts out and all my sh*t fell right out. My motor was toast , cracked from one end to the other :eek2:

310ESR
05-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Instead of putting them in the oven, I've been putting cases on the BBQ. Heat is heat.

nskukalek79
05-08-2010, 03:33 PM
just dont freeze the case and heat the bearings. Heat expands metal so you want the case hot and the bearings cold so they shrink and come out easier.
If anything, freeze it all and heat the case around the bearing so it expands