PDA

View Full Version : Is the YFZ-R a pooch?

Trxracr
05-02-2010, 11:28 AM
I just talked to one of my buddies that works at the local yammy dealer he said he just set-up and test rode a 2010 YFZ-R and he said it was a pooch (he rides an LT-R) and that it wouldnt even do wheelies idk i watched some tests on Youtube and they make it sound fast. so how do you guys like yours?

greenblood01
05-02-2010, 03:17 PM
When we got the first one in at our dealership, I set it up and rode it. I was pretty impressed with it, being stock and all. It would easily wheelie and the powerband seemed wide and smooth. However it didn't seem to have the "hit" my YFZ has, but that is said to be due to the fuel injection.

I don't see how anyone could call it a pooch

yamahahaha
05-02-2010, 05:15 PM
i love mine, way more than my 07 yfz

Trxracr
05-02-2010, 06:08 PM
ya i no the magazines seem to like it when i bought my 08 the only reason i didnt get an R is cuz $5450 was more appealing than $8200 haha

kyledvor61
05-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Ive never personally ridden one, but everything ive heard and read is that the R doesnt have the "hit" off the bottom end like the yfz does but they are still just as quick.

yamahahaha
05-02-2010, 08:46 PM
i think it has more all around power.. wheelies way easier than the old yfz. and in a drag race is faster...

ldjbuff
05-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Handling wise the new R is sweet, just feel different and more plush.

Power wise though they are not able to get the power out of the R like they have on the old YFZ's. I have a friends who has a similar set up to mine and even runs a little better exhaust. My bike puts out about 4-5 hp more than his.

400grl
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM
The R doesn't have the "hit" the YFZ has for a reason - they made it a more broad power, to help aleviate rider fatigue. With a punchy powerband, you tend to get tired faster - when you have to hang on on acceleration, it can tend to wear you out a little. The R was designed to be easier to ride in ALL aspects - handling is SUPERB on the R......right out of the box! I love my R - and I was a YFZ girl for a LOOOOONG time!!! Pipe it and open up the intake and it's plenty fast!!

eastside 400
05-03-2010, 08:39 PM
from what ive heard so far is that the YFZR cant make the power that it should be capable of, alot of guys are saying it is because of the ignition timing, Vortex and DYNA are making/releasing a complete plug in CDI/Ignition box that will handle both fuel and ignition changes without having a programmer, it will replace the OEM CDI. not sure if they are out yet though, ive riden some YFZR's and they feel pretty quick, i dont think all the power is there from the other quads but they arent slow

icecold_shee
05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
gytr/msd just came out with a fuel/ingition controller. this has helped out in the power dept. some guys on yfzcentral should be posting some dyno numbers shortly.

florentino
05-04-2010, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
from what ive heard so far is that the YFZR cant make the power that it should be capable of, alot of guys are saying it is because of the ignition timing, Vortex and DYNA are making/releasing a complete plug in CDI/Ignition box that will handle both fuel and ignition changes without having a programmer, it will replace the OEM CDI. not sure if they are out yet though, ive riden some YFZR's and they feel pretty quick, i dont think all the power is there from the other quads but they arent slow

my friend is pro and has a full lt race 2008 yfz and a stock yfz r
and he likes the r better his even getting holeshots beuse of that smooth power. i think that yamaha r is the best out of the box quad. and the ltr next to it

Trxracr
05-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by florentino
my friend is pro and has a full lt race 2008 yfz and a stock yfz r
and he likes the r better his even getting holeshots beuse of that smooth power. i think that yamaha r is the best out of the box quad. and the ltr next to it

idk i cant believe a stock R is faster than a fully built 08 :ermm:

from what im hearing i'd hate an R before my yfz i had an 05 honda 450 which i now sold to my brother cuz i never rode it anymore. before i got into quads i rode 2-stroke dirtbikes thats why i love my yfz its got that 2-stroke hit in the middle that i was used to.....if only it had that 2-stroke smell :D

florentino
05-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Trxracr
idk i cant believe a stock R is faster than a fully built 08 :ermm:

from what im hearing i'd hate an R before my yfz i had an 05 honda 450 which i now sold to my brother cuz i never rode it anymore. before i got into quads i rode 2-stroke dirtbikes thats why i love my yfz its got that 2-stroke hit in the middle that i was used to.....if only it had that 2-stroke smell :D

for mx racing 45 to 50 hps is all a need. and then its up to the rider to use the bike. its all in the suspension and rider fatige. yes i have a 2006 race bike yfz and by the 3rd lap i am dying vs my stock can am in the long run its faster.
alson in a stock can am because of the f.i. my holeshots are way better then my fully race yamaha.

monster400ex
05-11-2010, 12:40 AM
fisrt off i paid 7100 out the door for my 2010 yfz450x bill balance edition
and i raced my buddys 08 trx450r with a full fmf 4.1 exhaust and a velocity intake and jet kit and eat him alive with my stock bike and his is pretty dam fast
mine doest like to wheelie but im still getting use to and plus once i put a pipe on it it should be just fine

the bike is designed to be smooth
everything about it is smooth from the 100% ballanced engine to the design of the thumb throttle