PDA

View Full Version : Stock 07 Overheating

darkniss
05-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Stock 07 400ex
I was riding for about 1hr or so yesterday, when the hose from the oil reservoir that goes to the top of the cylinder head pops off spewing oil out ( I think it’s a vent hose). So I reattached it and about 10 min later noticed it didn’t sound or feel right. So I checked the oil and it was boiling, let it cool down starts right up sounds feels fine.

So I figured it was overheating, any suggestions what would cause it to overheat?

The temp were like 80, and I was going slow 2nd gear mostly (with the kids) my buddy was also with us and his 400 ex ran fine so I don’t think it was the conditions that caused it.

The oil cooler gets hot when idling I, so I assume I have oil circulation/pressure.

The only thing I did do recently was an oil change, made sure filter was in correct way and took the filter out today just to make sure and put in new one in case it was defective (I could push the spring in on the rear of the filter, so I assume it was functional)

Thanks for any help

NMills
05-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Is there a lot of crap in/on the Oil cooler? are you running the right grade of oil???

darkniss
05-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Cooler was clean, used mobil 1 motorcycle 10w40

dalejiw25
05-02-2010, 12:33 PM
With all due Respect - The 400ex is an air cooled sport bike. It is really not made to putts around in slow second gear for any period of time. It will self destruct if treated this way. With that said, Stock pilot jetting is way too small or "lean"(lean is hot and not good). Bump it up to a 40 or 42 that will help to cool it down a bit and start a lil easier also. But remember It's made to be rode hard in order to stay cool.

f4iracer
05-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by dalejiw25
With all due Respect - The 400ex is an air cooled sport bike. It is really not made to putts around in slow second gear for any period of time. It will self destruct if treated this way. With that said, Stock pilot jetting is way too small or "lean"(lean is hot and not good). Bump it up to a 40 or 42 that will help to cool it down a bit and start a lil easier also. But remember It's made to be rode hard in order to stay cool.

This is a giant load of BS!

First off please don't call it a "sport bike" that will confuse people. It certainly will not self destruct from putting around 1st and 2nd. sure it will warm up a bit if you're going slow but they certainly don't overheat.

I ride trails for hours at a time and i'll never go any higher than 2nd gear alot of the time, and my quad runs fine. Yeah sure sometimes i notice it's running warm and loses a bit of power, however if you have light mods and stock engine it should not overheat. It will just run warm.

aDviSol2y
05-03-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't think it was from running in second gear also. Like you said, your buddy was also running a 400ex with no problems.

NMills
05-03-2010, 12:39 PM
I was thinkin the same thing... I went out a week and a half ago riding the powerlines... mostly slow speed... first maybe second gear tops... and never overheated.. and that was about 8 hours worth of time..

bkelley
05-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by f4iracer
First off please don't call it a "sport bike" that will confuse people.
But it is a sport bike...

NMills
05-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by bkelley
But it is a sport bike...

Can we just call it a Sport Quad??? has a nicer sound to it...

darkniss
05-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Actually think I blew a head gasket I have an oil leak that’s dripping on 1 of the exhaust pipes in the front of the motor.

Have to do a compression check, is it 12mm fitting?