PDA

View Full Version : Best trail set-up?

juice420
05-02-2010, 02:00 AM
What does everyone think would be a nice trail/woods set up for a kfx400 as far as motor, suspension and tires?

sd1
05-02-2010, 10:35 PM
trick question lol....well the best investment for your quad you can make is in the suspension, just get your stockers resprung and revalved for your weight and riding style and leave the motor as stock as possible for reliability...consider a slip on exhaust so u can keep the torque of the motor and a dynojet kit for the carb and a high air fliter and hi-flow airbox cover...wheels are your choice and what your budget allows..... and most important of all just have fun riding it :)

juice420
05-03-2010, 01:53 AM
If you look in my sig you will see what I already have, a pipe, k&n pro flow and powerlid. So you wouldn't suggest let's say....cams, or would that be a reliability factor?? What do you think the best trail tires are?? Razr2's,Klaws,etc??

sd1
05-03-2010, 03:57 AM
sorry, didnt notice your sig info my bad..i'd dump that procom igniion of I were you they have serious reliability issues get yourself a dynatek ot vortex....and you really dont need cams..the hotcams are very mild and heavy and once u get ito cams you might as well do a valve job,springs bore kit etc.....well razr's are 6 ply and super reliable and used in gncc and baja extensively....so you cant go wrong with them and kendas are a bit cheaper but still a decent tire for trails and they make a 6 ply.....if you have the budget get yourself some hiper wheels but stay away from the standard douglas and itp's...rocks eat them for breakfast and taco your wheel....any beadlock or itp baja wheel is a great choice for trails and rough terrain.....but as I said before..suspension,suspension,suspension :)...cant stress that enough

4wheels1004
05-03-2010, 10:34 AM
yeah i have a 03 z and with some motor mods and i just put new front shocks on and i can explain the difference they made i love it! and for tires i have maxxis razr's front and back and i like them i think there only about 56 dollars or something close to that on rocky mountain. they have held up great for me! but the only thing i think i would do different is i would put razr 2's on the front for more stopping power

86250rrider
05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
razr 2 fronts are a must, holeshot hd rears are good,razr2 are good rears,itp gncc are good. get rear shock revalved, get a set of 450r front shocks revalved for you, cnc dampner,skids are worth their weight in gold, then touch the motor !!! i built mine in one shot but i had a plan from day one. its set up like my 450r honda. if you can pull it off....flexx bars do work and i will always have them on my machines.i buy good used ones. drop one tooth on the front sprocket to a 13 if you run 20 inch rears. great mod for 12 bucks !!!! you will feel the difference instantly:macho

4wheels1004
05-05-2010, 07:42 AM
i have been wanting to try different sprockets if i were to put a 13 tooth on the front how much would it affect my top speed because there are points where i need need it

86250rrider
05-05-2010, 01:34 PM
where do you need to go 65 mph ? i love this thinking...i ride mine in the woods. i get up to that speed quick though. when i want to rip up the road, the street bike will do that:D

juice420
05-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 86250rrider
where do you need to go 65 mph ? i love this thinking...i ride mine in the woods. i get up to that speed quick though. when i want to rip up the road, the street bike will do that:D

I can reach top speed riding country roads up north on my way to trails. You gotta remember not everyone hauls their quad right to the riding spots.

4wheels1004
05-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah thats what i'm saying some times to get from one set of trails to another I ride some wide logging roads that dont have many corners and when I'm out on a long ride i dont want to burn a bunch of gas down the straights.

juice420
05-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by 4wheels1004
Yeah thats what i'm saying some times to get from one set of trails to another I ride some wide logging roads that dont have many corners and when I'm out on a long ride i dont want to burn a bunch of gas down the straights.

Yeh, I was thinkin about going to a 13 tooth also but country roads are the reason I'm sticking with stock gearing.

86250rrider
05-05-2010, 03:44 PM
try a 15 tooth front,it will go 75 then.but you will be climbing hills in 1st and second gear

stockboy
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by juice420
Yeh, I was thinkin about going to a 13 tooth also but country roads are the reason I'm sticking with stock gearing. do not get a 13 tooth thats what i have and the tires spin to fast they dont hook up go with the 15 my friend has that and it great for all kinds of riding

sd1
05-05-2010, 05:06 PM
i've always like the 14 because of its ability to do both types of riding well..decent top speed with some power for trails....

86250rrider
05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by stockboy
do not get a 13 tooth thats what i have and the tires spin to fast they dont hook up go with the 15 my friend has that and it great for all kinds of riding

i run a 13 tooth front and my tires hook up . hell my front wheels are always off the ground. my mods must have made it slower. keep the good advice coming guys :huh

kawasakiracer
05-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I race x-country...thats trail riding...just fast. Here is my set up for my 05 kfx.
Elka fronts, Hy-gear dual rate set up on the rear, Razor 2's all around on OMF modified rims, k&n filter and air box lid, jetted, full Pro Circuit exhaust, +1 a-arms, single-single brake line set up front, and I run everything Procom makes with no problems..dont know what that other guy is talking about that they are unreliable, engine ice in the radiator, klotz oil, houser steering stem, steering damper, and TAG suspension grips on a moose dual gasser throttle.

Ive won the ama district 5 vet class championship and place top 10 over all every year in the local series around here so i know this set up is kick ***......and smoke alot of 450's with guys half my age on them every single race.

Suspension, and Razor 2's to answer your question.

2010 sponsors:

Tag, Sixsixone, Axo America, All Balls racing, Klotz, Sunline, and Renthal.

86250rrider
05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
i would like to rip with you, without ridin on the roads !!!!:D my z400 or 450r honda...makes no difference in the cut to me, its all good

kawasakiracer
05-06-2010, 06:00 PM
hey 86250,

How do you like running with that recluse in your honda. Is it as good as all the hype??????

86250rrider
05-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by kawasakiracer
hey 86250,

How do you like running with that recluse in your honda. Is it as good as all the hype??????

actually....its better !!:D

juice420
05-07-2010, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by 86250rrider
i would like to rip with you, without ridin on the roads !!!!:D my z400 or 450r honda...makes no difference in the cut to me, its all good
You would like to rip with who?? me? were a little far apart for all that!!

EDIT: oh yeh and I totally agree with the dude about Procom. I've never had any problems with my Procom.

86250rrider
05-07-2010, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by juice420
You would like to rip with who?? me? were a little far apart for all that!!

EDIT: oh yeh and I totally agree with the dude about Procom. I've never had any problems with my Procom.

not you , but kawasakiracer gncc guys can ride . i struggle to find guys who can ride at a pace that arent tied up in the x/c racing mode. its a curse