PDA

View Full Version : Ford Ranger Motors

Lquad71
05-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Can i out any motor in any ranger that came out of a different year..for example, i find a 2000 ranger with a 4.0 v6, that blew up the motor
then i find a 1989 3.0v6 that runs....could i put that in?
I just want to know if they are interchangeable, if not, which ones are?

CRE Performance
05-01-2010, 09:23 PM
If you have the knowledge, the time, and the money you can put any engine in anything.

If you do decide to do this, I would suggest getting all associated wiring and components, including the PCM and swap it all. But, If I were going to go that far, I would just buy a crashed mustang and transplant the entire 5.0 engine into that truck. Buy a $400 swap kit with required headers, mounts and oil pan and itll go easy as pie....then you will be moving foward instead of backwards with your project.

KXRida
05-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Computer controlled transmissions were in 98+ so you'll need a pre 97 motor unless you want to get a newer transmission and figure out all the wiring.

braybray08
05-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Lquad71
Can i out any motor in any ranger that came out of a different year..for example, i find a 2000 ranger with a 4.0 v6, that blew up the motor
then i find a 1989 3.0v6 that runs....could i put that in?
I just want to know if they are interchangeable, if not, which ones are?

I have a 4.0 ranger to, they are notorious for cracking heads at around 150k i bought mine "blown up" and I drove it home (smoking like a chimeney). If you have any mechanical know how it's worth your time getting new heads, it's a very strong motor besides the head problem. Cost me around 750 for 2 bare heads with valve springs etc from the old heads installed on the bare heads.

snacob14
05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
its a pain to swap motors. I"ve got a 94 prerunner extra cab with a 3.0 that runs great. its for sale. hit me up.

KXRida
05-02-2010, 09:48 PM
As long as it's a RBV motor they 99% bolt in. The pain I've found with engine swaps are the electrical components. A 2.9 to 4.0L swap can be done using all the same drive train if you really want to. Would I recommend it? Probably not unless you drive a like a 90 year old lady. 4.0L's are well known for the cracking heads. Ebay yourself a set of world class heads for a 4.0 and you're good to go.

CJM
05-03-2010, 11:20 PM
If you have the time, money and someone who can do it for ya, then screw the 4.0 b/c of the cracking head issue-do a SBC 350 or a 302, much better power and reliability.

Course you need to beef up the rest of the drivetrain but hey might as well go big or go home.

KXRida
05-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by CJM
If you have the time, money and someone who can do it for ya, then screw the 4.0 b/c of the cracking head issue-do a SBC 350 or a 302, much better power and reliability.

Course you need to beef up the rest of the drivetrain but hey might as well go big or go home.

You can do a SB350, but why put a chevy motor in a ford? :huh

The 302 isn't a bad swap. 351 requires a little bit more time and a lot of effort to fit correctly. Most 351 swaps have botched up frames due to clearance issues and cut up fire walls. Not to mention you have to frankenstein your own powersteering hint *use ford aerostar parts hint*. The 351 swapis a good swap, but if you do that go straight to a c6. I wouldn't even mess around with a c4.

CJM
05-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
You can do a SB350, but why put a chevy motor in a ford? :huh

Because its easier to build it seems. I personally dont build motors, Ive helped. But in my experience it seems SBC 350 is very easy to build and has a ton of aftermarket, 302 and 351 do too but IDK why people prefer a chevy over ford engine.

At the local track it doesnt matter what make or model it is-seems 90% run a SBC or BBC. Be it a mustang or we, its got a chevy powerplant.

Not saying its the end all, a 302 and 351 can be built too. Just personal preference due to my experiences.

KXRida
05-04-2010, 11:21 AM
Most will due a SB 350 due to size constraints. A 351 usually tends to be a wider motor and requires more fabrication to make it fit "properly." 302's are what most end up using when it comes to a SB ford.