PDA

View Full Version : Carb ?

BuB400
05-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I have a 99 400EX and my buddy has a 2000. He bought his used and we do not know if its been rejetted,etc. The problem is that it seems to be getting way to much fuel, he doesn't even choke it to get it started and mine is a typical cold blooded Honda. And when we ride together he'll burn up to a 1/4 tank of fuel more than me. Even if it is jetted richer,would it still burn that much more fuel? He's pulling it apart tonight to see what's in it for jets.

honda400ex2003
05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
that is quite a bit more to use per tank. is anything done to his? i would say that it has a bigger pilot in it but if it doesnt have anything done to it then there should be no reason to do anything to a main jet. if it has a 148 main, 38 pilot, and the needle is on the 3rd clip position it is good to go. tell him to adjust the f/a to 2.25 turns out or at least verify that it is set to that. steve

BuB400
05-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I haven't talked to him yet today, but ever since he bought this thing its been a leaking mess. I thought possible float problem, or would it even run at all with a bad float?

HPI_Savage25
05-02-2010, 06:35 PM
When I got my 01 in a trade it leaked gas like no other. First thing I did was pull the carb, sure enough the float never fully went up. Replaced the needle seat and it fixed it. Could be as simple as that or need a good carb rebuild.