PDA

View Full Version : Blown gasket

island400ex
04-30-2010, 05:38 PM
I have read alot about head gaskets blowing. Everyone suggests heavy duty head studs, I recently put in a 416 11:1 comp kit in my 2007. Well 5 months later I noticed oil seepage at the base and head gasket. So with a trip planned to the dunes in two weeks I tore down the top end to check it out! I have a namura gasket kit in it, the head gasket was about to blow near one of the rivets so good thing. Can I just check for flatness and use a better gasket kit and reassemble? How can I check to see if my head studs are streched? They do not look to be in any way?

tayyo789
04-30-2010, 06:01 PM
HD studs are always a good idea. They can save you some serious headaches. Get a Wiseco gasket to replace that Namura. Ive never seen a Namura gasket hold up. Those two things and you should be set for a while as long as you put it back together the right way

island400ex
04-30-2010, 06:13 PM
As far as the right way is concearned I have a service manual and I'm taking to a machine shop to check that all is flat. I want to do the head studs but time is an issue, and where I live seems to be a problem! Noone here wants to install em?? I bought a cometic kit thinking they were the best. I am wondering how many people come across faulty gaskets??

TRX01
04-30-2010, 06:49 PM
id go with the cometic gaskets, there actually layered metal

04-30-2010, 11:35 PM
wiseco is the way to go for me . am running 12.5:1 with shaved cyl and shaved head puts it at 13.5:1 the others did not hold up for me but for what u are running the cos is god. with 11.0:1comp

island400ex
05-01-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah I am thinking maybe I made a mistake somewhere along the line the first time, just doesn't make much sense. The head studs are not pulled or stretched that I can tell. My base gasket was leaking as well, as far as I know there is not as much pressure being exerted on the the base as the head. I am going to call gt thunder after this weekend and get the goods from them, seems almost everyone who has the studs has never had any problems. Has anyone done a 416 11:1 comp build without HD studs and had success??

n811
05-01-2010, 06:34 AM
my motor guy made me spend the money and use the Honda gaskets. He said they have had the least problems for him....?

m36indiana
05-01-2010, 03:31 PM
i run a 406 with 11:1 compression and never had any problems with head studs

fasterblaster09
05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
my 416 just blew today, supposedly doesnt have more than 15 hours on a rebuilt...ive never got into the motor myself, so this will be my first time attempting something. shouldnt be too hard? I just got the bike from Mineralgrey (member on here) and he said he had about 6 hours on it since it was rebuilt, and I put about 6 myself. he said its bored to 416 and has a hotcam. What all would I need? just take head off, put new gasket, and put head back on?