PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of a Laeger flip up subframe

emullen
04-30-2010, 05:14 PM
can anyone tell me what the benefits of a flip sub frame would be?
I can see with the hybrids perhaps when kicking it to the rear if the fender is not cut but with a std forward kick?

does the seat stay in place well? to me the ease of the std mount seems simple _ less moving parts, easier to clean and less chance to tweak it.

thanks for the input

matt250r21
04-30-2010, 06:05 PM
I had a Laeger YZ hybrid for a short time. The fliptop sub would come lose in the whoops and the top of the seat would hit me in the nuts. After a few times of that, I parted that thing out and got back on my Laeger R without the fliptop sub.

emullen
04-30-2010, 06:11 PM
thanks- i wondered about that exact thing- plus it does not fit as flush to the tank and i figured over time that the grommet that holds the pin to keep the upper frame / seat down would wear and do as you said

redred55
04-30-2010, 07:10 PM
I have one and it's awesome. Shock adjustments and air filter service is easy. Never have any problems with it. The seat to tank fitment may not be prefect but it's worth it...trust me!!!!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/redred55/holloween09250r073-1.jpg

deathman53
04-30-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't see it worth much for a 250r motor. For a hybrid, its a must. I have a lsr hybrid and the rear fender is cut for the yz kicker, it doesn't look to start with and sometimes it can be a pain to kick. I'd much prefer the long crf kicker. On the trike that is being built for me, its gonna use the trx450r fliptop seat/fender and the stock crf kicker. I know that the seat/fender will come loose at times, trade-offs are worth it sometimes.

emullen
04-30-2010, 09:51 PM
that is what I thought- more of a novelty for a 250R IMO. I have both and I really think that I prefer my std sub frame. I was just wondering if perhaps I was missing something about the flip top- not to take anything away from it but for me I am leaning toward the simplicity of the std. I like not having the rear fender hanging on the std sub -if I am working on the shock or the air filter it sort of gets in my way (maybe I am just not used to it) or makes me feel a bit cramped in a strange way. I admit it is cool since you do not see them often.

redred55- that is a very nice looking R.

thanks for the feedback and feel free to add more comments

rayman375
04-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Personally I would only want the flip top if I had a hybrid.

Inspector
04-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by matt250r21
I had a Laeger YZ hybrid for a short time. The fliptop sub would come lose in the whoops and the top of the seat would hit me in the nuts. After a few times of that, I parted that thing out and got back on my Laeger R without the fliptop sub. Thanks Matt, That was a good laugh......

dustinshuler
05-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I have one on my Leager 250r and I love it. The seat to tank fitment is perfect and it makes things easy to work on. I will say that if I have stock plastic and its almost imposible to get it to come loose while riding but if it has maier or fullbore it is easy to come loose. The stk plastic just fits muck better.