PDA

View Full Version : rear shock question

muddymess
04-29-2010, 09:55 PM
I was wanting to double check that the 86 and 87 shocks where the same length. I know the 88-89 where made shorter but wondered about the 86.

The reason im asking is i just got a rear shock back from gt thunder. I thought the 86-87 where identical but when i went to put my dial from the rez off the 87 onto the 86 i noticed the screw hole was different. I also noticed the 86 was much longer but i wasn't sure if this was just because of the work gt thunder did. i got it bolted up alright but i didn't measure the ride height before i changed the shocks over so i wouldn't know if it was sitting higher.

muddymess
04-30-2010, 03:48 PM
guess ill just see what happens at the race this sunday.

fearlessfred
04-30-2010, 04:33 PM
the 86 had a top out spring inside the shock(between the seal head and the piston) that they may have removed it resulting in the shaft being longer. you would have more droop travel if they did and you put the spanner nuts back in the same location the sag would be to low. i dont know if the 87s had that spring in them

muddymess
04-30-2010, 04:42 PM
I did notice they put a spacer in between the spring and top mount. Not sure what the purpose of that was. It kind of looks like they just used a spring that was too small and needed too take up the slack.

http://i43.tinypic.com/4ingj6.jpg

fearlessfred
04-30-2010, 05:08 PM
yea they must have took out the internal top out spring .you might wanna recheck sag, and ride height and all that good stuff

Honda 250r 001
04-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by fearlessfred
yea they must have took out the internal top out spring .you might wanna recheck sag, and ride height and all that good stuff

I think if you jus take the top out spring out, it will be around 17 inches long. Most companies cut the spring in half or cut 2/3 off so its the shock is around 16.5 inches long. Just saying lol. But that spacer deal on that spring looks a little shakey to me

muddymess
04-30-2010, 05:17 PM
well there is 4 1/2in of race sag and GTT says they run theirs between 4 and 5 inches. i measured the ride height today but didn't have someone to measure while i was standing on it but it was 11in by they pegs and 10 3/4 by the front. I'll get my buddy to help me and see if i need to change the front because the rear sags a lot when i stand on it and might correct the height.