PDA

View Full Version : need advise (unbias oppinion)

bill rudloff
04-29-2010, 09:23 PM
just sold my 250 r tonite, looking for a 450. a 450 what? Ive owned a cannondale (5 out of 10 stars) a yfz (9 stars). alot of new machines are now on the market and not sure of each ones flaws. ride everything from dunes to mx to extreme trails. I loved the yfz but are the others better? personal preferance? Im able to spend around 4000. Leaning tward another yfz but what year? heard the 04 05's have oiling problems? please give your opinions! thanks!

she will be missed:ermm:

J.Brown121
04-29-2010, 09:42 PM
If you like the yfz then stick with it man. I love 'em. And as far as what year, I would get a '07 special edition. I think the white one is the best looking stock quad ever!

And I'm a honda guy just so you know I'm not bias.

shane071489
04-29-2010, 09:51 PM
i like the yfzs to but i bought my ltr and have never been disappointed i ride my tracks trails hills anything only flaw ive ever had out of mine would be ground clearance but just having that thing flying through the woods and railing corners with that suspension is the best thing and the power it has is unreal im not biased at all id ride anything but i love the ltr ever since ive bought it check out the yfz r's and x's ive heard goods and bad itd be race with like the ltr and power should be close on the new ones ive raced 07's but not any of the R's figured the R's should be pepped up some more

mxpimp2000
04-29-2010, 10:26 PM
yamaha is hands down the best quad ive owned. i have a 06 in really nice shape but of course i take care of it as best as a person can. i went to a kick start and best choice so far.

i like hondas kawis and LTR's but i couldnt own them for the problems ive heard outta them. hondas frames, kawis cranks, LTRs trans and efi.

if i were gonna own any of them besides a yamaha it would be a LTR but it would have to have a carb a kicker and ATP billet gears. i love the way they feel and handle but i just cant seem to let my yami go. im wantin a new YFZR next if not a LTR

SRH
04-29-2010, 11:50 PM
the yfz's 04-05 had some oiling problems but not if u changed your oil regularly... id personally go with a yfz with the round carrier 06-07 and newer i beleive

muddy400EX
04-30-2010, 01:08 AM
i havent owned but rode just about everything, my favorite is LTR of course, which is why i bought one. but i like the feel of yfz's, 450r not so much but theyre probably the most reliable out of them i would say. i love the handling of LTR's, 3 inches wider makes a big difference:)

but you could always just go with what ya know, that way you wont be disappointed

04-30-2010, 01:57 AM
I love my YFZ but I wouldn't mind an LTR either.

krt400ex
04-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by shane071489
i like the yfzs to but i bought my ltr and have never been disappointed i ride my tracks trails hills anything only flaw ive ever had out of mine would be ground clearance but just having that thing flying through the woods and railing corners with that suspension is the best thing and the power it has is unreal im not biased at all id ride anything but i love the ltr ever since ive bought it check out the yfz r's and x's ive heard goods and bad itd be race with like the ltr and power should be close on the new ones ive raced 07's but not any of the R's figured the R's should be pepped up some more

thank you so much for using periods and commas. it made this post so much easier for mortal man to read :rolleyes:

i've rode a couple 450's. 450r, yfz, and the ktm. out of the three, being completely unbiased i think i would choose the ktm, then the honda, and then the yfz. beings is that i find the ergonomics on the honda and ktm to be very similar. i ride a bike much better if i'm comfortable on it. i didnt find the yfz comfortable at all. i felt like i was sitting on top of it. it was an odd feeling. the 450r was a little tippy in the slow stuff, but if you plan on doing work then that wont be a problem. out of the machines i have rode, and with your budget in mind, i would choose the 450R. if money is no object, ktm hands down because it out powers and out handles both the honda and yamaha, and its extremely comfortable.

Hondamaster5505
04-30-2010, 04:55 AM
Yeah, supposedly KTM is letting go of some leftover XC's really cheap. Sweet quad for sure.

But in the <4000 range, I would say YFZ. I fell in love with how it felt. They handle nicely and are one of the faster stock 450's.

06-08's are pretty much rock solid. It was 04-05's that had some first-year-first-model issues.

woodsman250r
04-30-2010, 12:49 PM
The big question...why did you sell that sweet R?!?! :eek:

I had a built R for XC and sure do miss it now, hopefully you will find a solid replacement! As for a 450, I got a Honda 450r after I sold my 250r. I only had the stock suspension done by GT Thunder, put on an HMF slip on, Hiper rims, new bars, and bark busters and rode the snot out of it. It held up to two years of racing, and I did a complete top end rebuild once. It was reliable for me, and was a great quad in the woods. Every opinion will be different on this matter, so try to test ride as many as you can before dropping the cash. However, about every 450 now can be a winner so I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you pick.

aDviSol2y
04-30-2010, 12:56 PM
I would wait untill the new honda comes out. But I'm sure it won't be under 4k...

bill rudloff
04-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the great advise, sold the R to change it up for awhile. Probably end up with another! but for now im getting a 450. It's kinda hard to testride different quads, unless I pretend to be buying somebodys, any suggestions? Any comments on the kawi or the can-am? thanks again!

04-30-2010, 03:34 PM
I have a buddy that called a few guys selling them personally and asked if he could test ride them. He payed them $10 bucks I believe. He told them his situation, that he was buying a new bike but wanted to test ride a couple and offered them some money for doing so.

Hondamaster5505
04-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Actually, I completely forgot about the Kawasaki. I would get one of them.

I absolutely LOVE the ergonomics of them. They have such a perfect feel when you're on it. Plus it has reverse.

My friend has one, I freakin love it.

gncc025
04-30-2010, 10:07 PM
ive got an 06 yfz. It has had a few hiccups but nothing major. I love it but if i had it to do over again i would get a honda. Im just a honda man through and through nothing against yam.

04-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Try and ride or atleast sit on the different quads to make your decision. I'm taller and I felt right on the TRX450r. Had a YFZ450 and I hated that damn thing. LTR's are real nice IMO but 49" scares me a little when it comes to woods riding. Every quad has its issues.

fastredrider44
04-30-2010, 10:57 PM
You're on the wrong website for an unbiased opinion. :p

I own a couple of 450Rs. That's what I like, and one of the advantages to a Honda is simplicity to work on and ease of picking up parts. I don't think anyone can argue with those points. Lots of good bikes to choose from these days.:macho

honda400ex2003
04-30-2010, 11:08 PM
man that is a tough decision. That R will be tough to follow as it is SWEET! by far my fav 250r look with those fenders on it. it is just a great combination of new look and old 250 styling too. I wish i could have added that to the collection of machines. I have not ridden any of the new ones but each seems to have its own niche. the yfz, ltr, ds (mx)and a couple of theres seem to be good on a track. the trx, kfx, ds xc and other xc such seem to be a nicer woods machine. it is hard to decide. I know that i would be in the same place as you are with the options available and some of the great deals to be had right now. I guess i would have to either go with a ds or a trx to stay honda or at least brp and skidoo stuff. my dealer has been decent and is the same for both so it is easy enough to get parts for both of them. I would stick with a woods style for my own liking and either one of those would be great for that. The trx may have a bit stiffer shock though for a slower trail riding type of cruising but is probably not bad considering my 450 shocks on my 400 arms arent bad at all. steve

backwoodsracer
05-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
thank you so much for using periods and commas. it made this post so much easier for mortal man to read :rolleyes:

i've rode a couple 450's. 450r, yfz, and the ktm. out of the three, being completely unbiased i think i would choose the ktm, then the honda, and then the yfz. beings is that i find the ergonomics on the honda and ktm to be very similar. i ride a bike much better if i'm comfortable on it. i didnt find the yfz comfortable at all. i felt like i was sitting on top of it. it was an odd feeling. the 450r was a little tippy in the slow stuff, but if you plan on doing work then that wont be a problem. out of the machines i have rode, and with your budget in mind, i would choose the 450R. if money is no object, ktm hands down because it out powers and out handles both the honda and yamaha, and its extremely comfortable.

Oh, come on! If you are going to be a smartass atleast check your own post.... :huh

bill rudloff
05-01-2010, 05:49 PM
i'm confused in your comment???????

krt400ex
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by backwoodsracer
Oh, come on! If you are going to be a smartass atleast check your own post.... :huh

wait you mean the one with all the punctuation? oh my lord, i might have missed one somewhere. let me fix it for you :rolleyes: