PDA

View Full Version : tip on oiling air filters(money saver) with pics

krt400ex
04-29-2010, 07:18 PM
alright so i've noticed that the aerosal filter oil is much easier to apply and apply evenly. problem is that its expensive. way to expensive for me to afford. so i figured that buying in bulk will save money in the long run, and i have always been partial to the twin air filter oil anyway. beings that i have a big can of it that i've been using for two years now, i decided to turn it into spray on oil.

i went out and bought a spray bottle and i poured the filter oil in it, and then screwed the nozzle in so it had a nice fine, wide spritz
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/a.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/b.jpg

i found that this method is much less messy than doing it the conventional way. and i think its quicker. i sprayed the filter coating it lightly.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/c.jpg
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/d.jpg

and then i put the filter back in the bag and worked it into the filter. i then pulled the filter out and sopped up any excess with paper towel

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/e.jpg

and installed it on the quad.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u193/without_a_clue/f.jpg

i had a piece of scrap wood laying around that i used because of over spray. i'm sure people have thought of this before, but i thought i'd share the info for anyone who might be looking for a better way to oil your filter. thanks for looking guys

protraxrptr17
04-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Works good the first time, but then the oil clogs up the sprayer and the alcohol swells the seals. Probably work good if you find a regular cap for the bottle and clean out the sprayer right after you use it. I've tried it.

jcv400ex
04-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I would just pour oil into a bag, insert filter in bag, work oil into filter, ring out excess oil, keep reusing bag.

SRH
04-30-2010, 11:06 PM
spraying the filters wastes oil...your better off getting a tub of oil and dunk your filters under and squeeze them out...you can see in the pics you dont have even coverage no offense but its common with most guys who spray them, i forget what company sells it with the tub...dunk squeeze out, put the lid on the tub and repeat

SRH
04-30-2010, 11:13 PM
btw , in my racebike i use to run the pre oiled $10 dual stage foam filters....id run 1 race on each...begining of the season id buy 10-15 of them change them after each race...1 can of cleaner, 1 can of oil = 13 bucks not to mention having 2-3 spare filters at $20 each......those filters are the way to go...they filter great too...they filter as good as any foam...the foam will not hold up to re using though and there not designed to be...i used ready filters but maxima has 1 out now too

CJM
05-01-2010, 02:05 PM
KN filter oil, comes in a small spray bottle and I got it on the net somewhere years ago for like 15 bucks.

fastredrider44
05-01-2010, 03:38 PM
K&N filter oil is not foam filter oil. K&N oil is for use on K&N style paper filters.

I use Fab 1 Spray when there's no chance of dust, and FFT also by Maxima anytime I know of dust. I do dunk my filters, just need to wring them out REAL good and let them drip dry before installing them. Carbs don't like filter oil.:blah:

CJM
05-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
K&N filter oil is not foam filter oil. K&N oil is for use on K&N style paper filters.

I use Fab 1 Spray when there's no chance of dust, and FFT also by Maxima anytime I know of dust. I do dunk my filters, just need to wring them out REAL good and let them drip dry before installing them. Carbs don't like filter oil.:blah:

IDK worked for me quite well on quite a few different things.

Ill give the actual foam filter oil a try next time.

Latemodel32
05-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
I would just pour oil into a bag, insert filter in bag, work oil into filter, ring out excess oil, keep reusing bag.

X2 ^

krt400ex
05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
i dont soak my filters completely through. i find that its overkill and can end up restricting airflow some. the twin air is a dual stage filter like many, andi only coat the first element through in oil. i'v done this a couple times and havent had problems with the spray bottle yet.

XtremeSkier
05-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
i dont soak my filters completely through. i find that its overkill and can end up restricting airflow some. the twin air is a dual stage filter like many, andi only coat the first element through in oil. i'v done this a couple times and havent had problems with the spray bottle yet.

i do the same thing with my twin air filter except for using a bag, i just wear some latex gloves and work the oil into the filter and reapply it when i need to, been doing that for the last 2 years with my ktm and it's been working good

the bag idea is interesting.. never thought of that one

krt400ex
05-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by XtremeSkier
i do the same thing with my twin air filter except for using a bag, i just wear some latex gloves and work the oil into the filter and reapply it when i need to, been doing that for the last 2 years with my ktm and it's been working good

the bag idea is interesting.. never thought of that one

it makes it much less messy. i keep two filters at all times.. keep one in the bag and one on the bike. when the one on the bike gets dirty, i clean it and oil it and throw it in the bag and then i pull the already clean one that was previously in the bad, and put it on the quad. but the bag makes it very easy to work the oil into the filter

SRH
05-02-2010, 09:57 PM

the filter needs to be saturated and excess oil squeezed out, thats the proper way to oil the filter...if you notice restriction doing that its because your running a twin air

krt400ex
05-03-2010, 04:35 AM
i suppose i'll agree to disagree. my method has proven to work well. the evidence in the fact that i had over 400hrs on one top end on my old 400ex and the bike didnt even make a tick. if the filter was letting dirt through then i certainly would have worn it out much sooner than that. infact, i sold the bike to a used motorcycle shop and he couldnt tell that the engine was that old because it ran so good.

300ex_#387
05-03-2010, 08:22 AM
He's right. The proper way is to dunk the filter and squeeze out the excess. Your defenatley going to get even coverage doing it this way and the filter will have plenty of oil. I always wore latex gloves and there is hardly any waste. I usually pour 2 or 3 bottles into an ice cream bucket.

SRH
05-03-2010, 11:50 PM
i suppose i'll agree to disagree. my method has proven to work well. the evidence in the fact that i had over 400hrs on one top end on my old 400ex and the bike didnt even make a tick. if the filter was letting dirt through then i certainly would have worn it out much sooner than that. infact, i sold the bike to a used motorcycle shop and he couldnt tell that the engine was that old because it ran so good.

well now not knocking you but a 400ex will run pretty good for 400 hrs without a airfilter

now if we were talking polaris i might change my opinion

im sure your method stops most dirt but nothing is lost by submerging it and squeezing out the excess, the foam doesnt filter without oil, what you may save by having a spotty oiled filter will be lost in the long run by premature wear, its just a more foolproof method and less time consuming to dunk and squeeze

mineralgrey01gt
05-04-2010, 12:08 AM
you can afford a KTM but cant afford to buy the aerosol oil?

krt400ex
05-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
you can afford a KTM but cant afford to buy the aerosol oil?

lol i didnt say i couldnt afford it, but i like to try and save money where i can. IMO the ktm was a worthwhile investment and i dont like to skimp on quality. on the same note, i dont feel that i'm skimping out with my filter here. not since i clean it after every ride or two(that equates to no more that a few hrs of ride time)

SRH
05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
lol i didnt say i couldnt afford it, but i like to try and save money where i can. IMO the ktm was a worthwhile investment and i dont like to skimp on quality. on the same note, i dont feel that i'm skimping out with my filter here. not since i clean it after every ride or two(that equates to no more that a few hrs of ride time)

im not knocking your idea but its a better idea to just buy the tub of filter oil and dunk and squeeze the extra out , and buy a box of nitrile rubber gloves from walmart ...your not going to lose any performance, the tub of oil your not going to waste as much oil either which in the end will be cheaper

Scro
05-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Use a white cloth and swipe the inside of your intake after riding. That is a sure way to tell if you are letting anything by. I used to be one of the people that lightly sprayed my air filter, to save money. After swiping with a cloth and seeing everything I was letting through, I saturate my filter now.

If your method is working, I say go for it. But I'm going to bet your intake will be cleaner using a saturated filter.

krt400ex
05-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Use a white cloth and swipe the inside of your intake after riding. That is a sure way to tell if you are letting anything by. I used to be one of the people that lightly sprayed my air filter, to save money. After swiping with a cloth and seeing everything I was letting through, I saturate my filter now.

If your method is working, I say go for it. But I'm going to bet your intake will be cleaner using a saturated filter.

i do it every single time i clean the filter. never had dirt except for when i ran the k&n