PDA

View Full Version : 50cc Stage 6 Cylinder Question

jay-r
04-29-2010, 05:52 AM
I purchased a 50cc stage 6 cylinder kit and was wondering what base gasket shim people are using. I know that the proper way to set it up is to measure the squish but I really do not have the proper tools to measure it. Right now I have the fiber gasket and the second from the thinnest shim in and it runs strong, but the kickstarter does not feel like it has as much compression as it did with the oem cylinder. But, that could really just be a mental thing.

Any suggestions?

Ryki3r
04-29-2010, 08:11 AM
no shims. It will give you more compression. This is how we run ours.

Hope this helps.

jay-r
04-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks, that is what I was thinking after I put it together. What octane do you run with no shims? I would still like to be able to run pump gas.

quad59
04-29-2010, 09:01 AM
A wise man told me to make an L shape out of a piece of 32 thou soft core solder place it along the side of the cylinder wall Stroke it through and measure how much it crushed the solder with a feeler gauge, adjust as necessary with shims to achieve your desired squish. Or you can go buy some plastigauge from NAPA

Ryki3r
04-29-2010, 09:42 AM
pump gas.

Coley'sdad#8
04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
all cases, cylinders, pistons ect. are not the same and just because one cylinder setup is within squish tolerance doesn't mean that another one will be exactly the same. take the time to check it, find somebody with a micrometer and use the solder trick like quad59 said. check with your parts supplier to see what they want you to set it up at, I have some numbers that work well but I don't know what the rest of your setup is either.

nitrofish
04-29-2010, 03:15 PM
You should really check your squish to maximize performance, our stage 6 with the thinnest gaskets was at 62 thousandths. Had to shave the head and used a stock head gasket, rather than the stage 6 (it was 20 thou thinner) We set ours at a mild 30 thousandths, you can go a lot tighter if you want. Matt.

hotquads1
04-30-2010, 07:14 AM
normally the thinest metal base gasket is fine on that kit , it has fairly low compression , about 125 psi, so if you can borrow a compression guage and test it then we will know how close you are. Some good advice on the squish test has been given in the earlier post but if you need further help or info feel free to email us with any questions vipllc@bellsouth.net
Marc