PDA

View Full Version : what helmet under $300

buck440
04-28-2010, 05:57 PM
well i'm in the market for a new helmet so for around $300 what would you suggest? has to be black mostly or white...mostly:devil:

fastredrider44
04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Fox V3 FTW!:macho Awesome helmets, and if you're patient, you can find them for good deals on the net.

Thumpin440ex
04-28-2010, 06:21 PM
I picked up a nice BELL helmet, DOT, Snell app, for under 210 bucks.. I have always like bell, have had them, they are a cheaper, really nice made helmet for the money..

John

CJM
04-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Gonna laugh, but about 2 years ago I snagged a bell riot helmet from walmart originally 120 for half off. It so far has held up just as good as my buddies 250 dollar helmet.

KFX450Rrider490
04-28-2010, 06:32 PM
ive got a one industries kombat helmet and love it i think i got it for about 180 there dot and snell approved and realy comfortable. imo...

Thumpin440ex
04-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Gonna laugh, but about 2 years ago I snagged a bell riot helmet from walmart originally 120 for half off. It so far has held up just as good as my buddies 250 dollar helmet.

Na no laugh, I do not see the point of spending 5-600 on a helmet, that is or has the same snell or DOT rating.. Unless you like the crazy graphics, THE NAME.. Just as good, have to go through the same tests.. Not to mention, they have been around forever, selling helmets since 1954, was a parts place years before that..

John

CJM
04-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Thats exactly my point, so long as its a nice snell/dot approved helmet its fine. Im not paying for a name or crazy gfx on something I cant see when Im wearing it.

reminds me i gotta glue part of the visor that broke on mine back together after i took a decent spill a few weeks ago.

patrickj75
04-28-2010, 07:51 PM
FLY F2 Carbon.ail at $260 but I've seen them cheaper.

MX450
04-28-2010, 07:54 PM
get on ebay and look for clearence models of higher end helemts, i picked up a troy lee helmet for 200 bux and LOVE IT, very nice and well worth the money.

outacontrol
04-28-2010, 08:25 PM
had a troy lee for 2 yrs and love it

ZBlaster
04-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Fox V3 FTW!:macho Awesome helmets, and if you're patient, you can find them for good deals on the net.

My V3 busted at Big Buck from an impact that wasn't what I would consider bad at all. I'd stay away.

c_olive18
04-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I laugh at people that buy cheap helmets. They may "meet" the same DOT and Snell requirements, but a more expensive helmet will far exceed those that are cheaper. They will also fit much better, be much lighter, and allow better air flow.
This isnt a pair of jeans were talking about...its a helmet. Dont skimp out on it. If you do you are just buying a brain bucket.

ATV Chic
04-28-2010, 10:43 PM
one industries or 661. i love my one inds

04-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Shoei VFX-W. You can get the plain black or white for $350. By far best helmet I've had. Just try the thing on and you will know why. I can ride all day with it on and not mind one bit. It's a 20 out of 10 for comfort.

kfx400rider03
04-29-2010, 04:12 AM
i picked up a m2r helmet last year for $40. retail was $250. but it was a 2007 modle i think. and the website was realy limited on helmet sizes. luckly they had my size in a helmet i liked

buck440
04-29-2010, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by c_olive18
I laugh at people that buy cheap helmets. They may "meet" the same DOT and Snell requirements, but a more expensive helmet will far exceed those that are cheaper. They will also fit much better, be much lighter, and allow better air flow.
This isnt a pair of jeans were talking about...its a helmet. Dont skimp out on it. If you do you are just buying a brain bucket.

agree with this. not cheaping out on a important thing. i don't even race but i still wear a astar bns carbon for the woods. not afraid of dying, afraid of not riding. i'm keeping tld in mind a little but i do like shoei.

KXRida
04-29-2010, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Thats exactly my point, so long as its a nice snell/dot approved helmet its fine. Im not paying for a name or crazy gfx on something I cant see when Im wearing it.

reminds me i gotta glue part of the visor that broke on mine back together after i took a decent spill a few weeks ago.

Snell's standards were unrealistic to the motorcycle world until 2010. Their testing procedure required that our helmets be entirely too stiff, thus meaning less impact absorption. Personally I buy helmets with euro spec ratings, most notably, the Thor Force. ECE rated and for the price is actually a very good quality helmet. Ended up picking up two of them for $150 a pop at the local shop. The more ESP foam in a helmet, the better. Before snell changed it's M rated helmet regulations the amount of ESP impact foam and M rated helmet could have was little to none where as the ECE standards were more laid back with the shell crush numbers and allowed for more ESP foam and movement. That's my .02 cents on helmets. I've been running the thors now for about 3 years. Prior to that was 661 and TLD. 661's base model helmets really seemed to take a dump. I always bought they "better" next step up helmet they had and it was pretty nice. Saved my life for sure so I can't complain about it too much. Smashed the helmet in 8 spots, blew the inside foam apart, and put two cracks through the chin piece and I did even sustain a mild grade concussion.

Shoei VFX is an awesome helmet. BTO just had a closeout on them not too long ago for like $300. Suomys are very good helmets as well. I can't believe more people aren't running them. I've seen good and bad from fox helmets. A buddy of mine had one sitting on the handle bar of his bike, bike fell over and the bar poked a hole in the side of the helmet. Personally I will never buy a fox helmet again after seeing this. Think if that was a rock you hit during a crash. Check ebay for some TLD helmets. I'd never ever pay retail for a TLD. They are a good helmet, but you're paying for a lot of the name. They did have them at motorama for $150 which I thought was a damn good deal.

blaster12s
04-29-2010, 05:59 AM
dont go with v3. i cracked mine pretty bad on a mild crash in a corner.
and your not just paying for saftey your also payin for how little it weighs. the diffrence between whereing my v3 and v1 is CRAZY the v1 feels so damn heavy!

dns1764
04-29-2010, 08:47 AM
check out the hjcs

aDviSol2y
04-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by dns1764
check out the hjcs

You know, a lot of people talk crap about the HJC's, becasue they on the cheaper side. But mine has lasted me 4 years now. I've taken so many hard spills, and still has not cracked. If you look at the graphics on it, you would think someone drug it behind a car on a pit run road. They are on the heavy side though.

Robin Hood
04-29-2010, 10:01 AM
I picked up my Shoei VFX - W for less than 300$. Do a search for them and have Motosport match the price + extra 10% off the difference.

aDviSol2y
04-29-2010, 10:08 AM
DennisKirk also usually has good closeout prices on helmets. I got a fox helmet for my son for $50.00.

buck440
04-29-2010, 03:11 PM
i think i got it. this in matt black with the chrome orange mouth piece and some fire iridium oakleys would look perty camel kool:)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/6/17403/ITEM/Shoei-VFX-W-Solid-Helmet.aspx

KXRida
04-29-2010, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
You know, a lot of people talk crap about the HJC's, becasue they on the cheaper side. But mine has lasted me 4 years now. I've taken so many hard spills, and still has not cracked. If you look at the graphics on it, you would think someone drug it behind a car on a pit run road. They are on the heavy side though.

After two or three good licks on a helmet I retire it. I usually get a new helmet every year. The outside may be ok, but the inside foam is probably crushed.

04-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by buck440
i think i got it. this in matt black with the chrome orange mouth piece and some fire iridium oakleys would look perty camel kool:)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/6/17403/ITEM/Shoei-VFX-W-Solid-Helmet.aspx

You will be far from dissapointed. I have it in the Matte black and I love it, Couldn't be happier. By far the best helmet i've owned.

hondapower8
04-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by patrickj75
FLY F2 Carbon.ail at $260 but I've seen them cheaper.

same i got mine with these goggles for 240$

quad2xtreme
04-30-2010, 03:36 PM
HJC carbon fiber helmets are light...lighter than many that claim to be under 3 lbs that aren't. The come in sort of all black. You can see the carbon fiber. It isn't painted black.

/jon

nskukalek79
04-30-2010, 06:03 PM
got my HJC for $150...great helmet....DOT and SNELL approved.