PDA

View Full Version : black plug

250rice
04-28-2010, 04:29 PM
i have a 86 250r with 330 esr power valve long rod after i put it all back together i did the break in and all of that stuff but now the plug is very black if i put a new one in it get black very quick i did have a 175 main jet but i thought that a black pulg meant it was to rich so i went down and down and down and down now it has a 150 main jet and it is still dark black if i go higher it has a bad sputter even now it will sputter on wot sometimes can some one help me

fearlessfred
04-28-2010, 05:03 PM
what carb ,is there fuel running out of the over flow . a 150 main is on the leaner side of the stock 34 carb

250rice
04-29-2010, 04:18 PM
stock carb there is no fuel run out there was a little drip on the floor after i let it set over night but it always did that . i did a leak down test last night and it holds pressure so i am thinking it in the electrical system at least thats what a friend told me. it was also his idea of the leak test so i think he knows what he doing but i do not know for sure he could be guessing if you got any other ideas i would like to hear them

fearlessfred
04-29-2010, 06:44 PM
i have had a stater cause what u are decribing once on my bike and once on a friends i dont know how to test tho, i had an extra one ,so i just changed it out to know

greenskin77
04-29-2010, 09:45 PM
yep mine is doing that to i think it will be the coil on mine i am gonna post a thred to make sure if anyone has any ideas.
the guy who gave you the idea of the leak downt est is pretty smart it sounds like.
do you buy a kit or make it your self.
i amde one a freez plug in the exhaust and a alum. plate with a screw in vavle stem in the center for the carb worked perfect

latheboy
04-29-2010, 11:39 PM
I also had a stator go bad that made it run very eratic. Sometimes it wouldn't idle well, other times all it would do is idle. Most of the time it would cut out in the higher RPMS, like bad jetting. I too, had a spare stator to try and that cured the problem.

250rice
04-30-2010, 03:13 PM
well it looks like i will have to buy a stator then to try because i don't have a spare thanks everyone for replying i sure hope it works thanks

fearlessfred
04-30-2010, 03:21 PM
i hope it fixs it. may be someone on here can tell u how to test it be fore buying. when mine went bad you could see the varnish flaking off of the copper windings. maybe you should pull the flywheel first and take a look. good luck

250rice
04-30-2010, 03:40 PM
thanks i will look at the coils and See what the look like if i can remember when i put the 330 on it was a little rusty in there so it probably is a good idea to change it any way and if i know the sator is new and it still studders then i will only have three other things that it could be

fearlessfred
04-30-2010, 04:17 PM
well i have never seen a ign,coil go bad ( im not say they thet dont) and the when the cdi goes bad they dont run at all so i think theres a good chance that its the stater let us know how it turns out

250rice
05-03-2010, 04:08 PM
well i ordered a new stator should be here thursday it is a moose 250w stator does any one know what the watts mean does it give more spark or is that just for the lights

fearlessfred
05-03-2010, 04:47 PM
hey if that fixs it dont forget to rejet your prob. to lean

250rice
05-07-2010, 04:44 PM
got the stator in today

greenskin77
05-07-2010, 10:33 PM
well may you kid be a shining star lol.

fearlessfred
05-08-2010, 03:05 PM
is it running yet

bloodswet&gears
05-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Im also getting a black plug. its always black and wet. it also smokes a little more than it should.
I put diff. fuel in it. tried less oil mix in fuel. jetted it both ways with diff. mains, needles, pilots, intakes, reeds, plug heat range.
Sometimes runs great. real erratic though. mostly runs good under load and in the next gear, not the one your in.
compression is on the low side but not outta spec.
I've tried diff. coils and cdis.
I havent tried a new stator though. or carb or pipe.
My stator test goog per elec. specs in honda manual, but elec's are funny actin parts.

If the stator solves your problem will you please let us know or pm me.

Im tired of throwing parts at it and i got enough to almost build another quad (minus a frame).

250rice
05-11-2010, 02:48 PM
did you put new crank seals in it

250rice
05-11-2010, 02:50 PM
o and my 250r is still not runningthe new ststor was bad no spark at all

bloodswet&gears
05-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by 250rice
did you put new crank seals in it yea. all new seals.
gathering pieces now to build a pressure tester. i had the case halves welded when i got it, crank bearings were shot. may be pulling fluid from the tranny.
i put dye in the trans and ran it. then checked it with a black light.
but then i found out the oil in my fuel and the coolant i used have dye in them too.
what brand stator did you get that didnt work?

greenskin77
05-11-2010, 08:58 PM
why would you weld the case togheter
and how does that dye work does it glow with a black light or what. i never heard of that but it sound slike a good idea

bloodswet&gears
05-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by greenskin77
why would you weld the case togheter
and how does that dye work does it glow with a black light or what. i never heard of that but it sound slike a good idea not welded together. welded back in place where a piece of the bearing busted the case.
the blacklight dye glows bright yellow. we use it to find a/c leaks or oil leaks or actually any fluid to pinpoint leaks.

mohler
05-12-2010, 08:25 PM
we just be glad thats the only problem u have, i had a factory jug i think with a 155 main or something like that close. went to put my duncan 275 pv on found a crack in the crank had to go and tare the bottom end down replace all the seals put a long rod in and take the short out. put it back togeather. went thru the break in cycle and the plug looked good in the yard there. took off on a streight shot about 1/4 mile long and bam. burnt a hole in the new piston. atleast that all i think that happened aint tore it apart yet. i just wanted to ride it and didnt have the right jets. Lession learned. aint got that kinda money to blow like that anymor.

250rice
05-13-2010, 04:01 PM
it was a moose stator that i ordered 250w put it on had no spark when i turned it over but when the motor stoped a second later it would spark a little blue spark but only when it stop if you keep kicking the motor over it would not spark but as soon as it stop it would put out a little spark so i tried a friends stator and it sparked good nice big blue spark worked fine so sent the new one back and ordered a new one i think the name is electronics it is in today but probably wont put it on until sat

fearlessfred
06-09-2010, 09:28 PM
hey man, u ever get runnin right with a good stater or was it something else

265 sleeper
06-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by 250rice
it was a moose stator that i ordered 250w put it on had no spark when i turned it over but when the motor stoped a second later it would spark a little blue spark but only when it stop if you keep kicking the motor over it would not spark but as soon as it stop it would put out a little spark so i tried a friends stator and it sparked good nice big blue spark worked fine so sent the new one back and ordered a new one i think the name is electronics it is in today but probably wont put it on until sat . I ran into a similar problem on the stator the pulse generator pick up the lil black box that sits on the outside of the flywheel if thos wires are backwards they will give you a delayed spark you kick and when it stops it sparks I had found that out when having to use a jet ski pulse generator wires were backward and delyed spark. hope this helps for your new stator

greenskin77
06-23-2010, 12:09 PM
hey i am 250r ices brother.. we been working on his bike and it stills sputter and carrie son like ti did.. even with new carb it still sucks..
so we might try this stater tricks like you told me ... i ll let you no

265 sleeper
06-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Can yall take any pics of the spark plug.
What pilot jet size are you running.
Also did you get the cases welded and were the case laped after someone welded if so how
Did your brother put the motor together and was honda bond used on the case halves when motor was put together also what did the spacer behind the clutch basket look like. the one that fits inbetween the crank seal and shaft did it have any grooves on it

DnB_racing
06-23-2010, 01:47 PM
The plug should look a light chocolate brown in color. If , black and sooty the engine is running too rich in the fuel departement or too cold of spark plug. If black and shiny (oily) then your plug is oil fouled,