PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a 450r

PaRedneckRiders
04-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Well im thinking about buying a 450r
I know its not the fastest production 450 but i like it the most out of them

So what do i need to look for in a 450

If i were to buy one i would like to either find a nice running one for a decent price or one thats blown up that way i can make it exactly the way i want and still spend a little less money

So what are some of the weak points of the 450 (i already know about the 04-05 having crank bering problems) but if i get one it will prob be an 04-05

Also i want to make it fast but not spend 10k in the process

What mods do u think would be the best to have a fast 450 on somewhat of a budget

I dont have a set price yet but could prob figure something out depending on how much i would have to pay for the quad

May main goal is to have something that will do good on the mx track but not be just strictly MX

Most of my riding is either Trails or the MX track so let me know what you guys think, and what some good mods are to the 450 cause im pretty new to the 450r

fastredrider44
04-28-2010, 05:56 PM
A High compression piston and a cam would really boost your power on the cheap. Are you planning on widening out this fourwheeler and running MX tires on it? That and trails aren't going to be a good mix. If you're buying a 450R that has been raced, check the frames for cracks, especially around the footpegs. Best advice I can give you about owning a 450R is to stay on top of maintenance. Clean air filters and regularly changing the oil is crucial to these bikes.

PaRedneckRiders
04-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Ya i do plan on making it wider
Most of the trails i ride on are pretty open and maintained trails that also has no noise restrictions

I was thinking a set of long travel LSR a-arms
Mayb either a set of elkas, works, or fox evols
And probly a g-force axle in the rear

Im gona try and find good deals on used parts that are still in good condition just to save some money

I would like to go with some roll design a-arms but dont know if i can swing spending that much money

PaRedneckRiders
04-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Come on guys i looked trough the sticky about 450r ?s and just need to know if there is anything else that i need to know b4 i buy one

04-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I love my 05 thats completely stock. I just want to put a full exhaust and open the airbox up to let it breathe better and add a few ponies. The only reason I am staying away from a bigger cam and what not now is maintainance.

PaRedneckRiders
05-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Well im not to worried about maintance but after a while it does become a pain

Im used to working on 2 strokes and a couple 4 strokes some im used to having to keep up on maintenance by now