PDA

View Full Version : No-Link people

Nac's22
04-28-2010, 09:44 AM
I have a chance to pick up a very nice JP frame, no link swinger, and rear shock for a pretty nice price. How do you guys like the no links? Are they as good as say a cr500 link? Pros and Cons? Sorry I don't know much about no link set ups but you never learn untill you ask. Also the swing arm on it looks like a stock linkage style swingarm and the rear shock connects to where it looks like the dog bone on a 250r style link would connect. Is this correct? Feel free to post up pics of the no link set ups. Thanks guys!

Honda 250r 001
04-28-2010, 02:05 PM
This is prolly a stock link frame, thats been set up to be ran no link on either a no link swingarm, or a standard link swingarm...

Do you have pics of frame mount, shock and swingarm?

Nac's22
04-28-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't have any pics of it. Its a friend of mine's he called me today asking if I wanted it. IIRC it is a true no link frame.

deathman53
04-29-2010, 03:45 PM
JP frames were either style. Also early lonestar(jp) frames were also. Sometime in the late 90's, you had to order the frame in one or the other. As are lonestar frames today. I have a no-link hybrid and stock framed 250r, I really don't know which I like better. They are very different machines, the hybrid turns slow, feels heavier and is far more stable, the stock framed turned much quicker, but its less stable in rough stuff. If I had the same front end on both, it would be a clearer comparison. I do see the no-link being a clear advantage with cross country and baja races, no linkage hanging means less the break and more ground clearance.

Nac's22
04-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Would the style of no link that this 250R is set up as be able to be converted to a Roll style no link? I've heard that is the better of the two no link styles. Is this true?

zedicus00
04-30-2010, 07:07 AM
there is so many types of no-link. i like them all, they all handle great.

the dead simplest is to run a slightly shortened shock with a different bottom mount on a stock frame and stock type swingarm. works great, has slightly less travel but most people wont notice.

next one is a no link frame and a 'generic' no link swingarm. the mount on the frame is moved up an inch, but what they dont tell you is the swingarm is still a standard 88-89 style swingarm with just a slightly different mount. iether swingarms can be used link or no llink.

then theres roll. they actually use the stock frame mount location, or very close to it. but the swinger is drastically different. one type looks similar to an 88-89 but the shock mount is on the bottom of the swingarm, this makes a long travel. also there is a gulwing arm with the mount in the middle of the arm. those are way nice.

shock length on these varies, on the stock conversion it can be as short as 13". ive seen a baja 250R that had a all around long travel set up. 22" shocks on the front, quad rates, and a 19.5" shock on the back, triple rate. it didnt sit noticeably higher then stock but had some insane amount of travel.

basically if you have the chance to pick up a no-link chassis, do so. but i would run it as is. theres not a noticeable enough difference from one to the other to mess with changing. atleast i dont think so.

ive had everything from the gulwing type, to the stock mod.

Nac's22
04-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks zedicus! Thats exactly what I was looking for. For some reason it just didn't look right to me but I haven't seen many 250Rs personally. I have 1 my friend has 2 and another has 1 and the only no link I've ever seen is this one so I figured I'd ask before I dove into something I have no idea about.

zedicus00
04-30-2010, 08:14 AM
the only thing is make sure it isnt a hack job, check the frame and swinger to see if things have been cut off, moved around, and re-welded. other then that i would say your good to go.

Honda 250r 001
04-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by zedicus00

the dead simplest is to run a slightly shortened shock with a different bottom mount on a stock frame and stock type swingarm. works great, has slightly less travel but most people wont notice.

next one is a no link frame and a 'generic' no link swingarm. the mount on the frame is moved up an inch, but what they dont tell you is the swingarm is still a standard 88-89 style swingarm with just a slightly different mount. iether swingarms can be used link or no llink.

then theres roll. they actually use the stock frame mount location, or very close to it. but the swinger is drastically different. one type looks similar to an 88-89 but the shock mount is on the bottom of the swingarm, this makes a long travel. also there is a gulwing arm with the mount in the middle of the arm. those are way nice.

shock length on these varies, on the stock conversion it can be as short as 13". ive seen a baja 250R that had a all around long travel set up. 22" shocks on the front, quad rates, and a 19.5" shock on the back, triple rate. it didnt sit noticeably higher then stock but had some insane amount of travel.

basically if you have the chance to pick up a no-link chassis, do so. but i would run it as is. theres not a noticeable enough difference from one to the other to mess with changing. atleast i dont think so.

who do you send the shock to, to have it set up for no link on stock frame and swingarm.
Thanks

woodsracer144
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by zedicus00

correct me if im wrong but dont they have a different mounting spot for the roll gulwing style? i know i know what frame your looking at nacs is it a 96 thats bare metal?

im running a PRP no link chassis and swinger, from my understandings from talking with dave at PRP this chassis is designed and built only for the no link set up and the upper shoclk mount is moved cause i asked him about making it a linked set up and he said i would have to move the upper shock mount to make it work properly.

04-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
correct me if im wrong but dont they have a different mounting spot for the roll gulwing style? i know i know what frame your looking at nacs is it a 96 thats bare metal?

im running a PRP no link chassis and swinger, from my understandings from talking with dave at PRP this chassis is designed and built only for the no link set up and the upper shoclk mount is moved cause i asked him about making it a linked set up and he said i would have to move the upper shock mount to make it work properly.

The geometry between the standard Roll Design no link swingarm and the Roll Design gullwing no link swingarm is exactly the same. Travel is the same and the shock mount is in the same location. The gullwing swingarm was created so they could add more material around the shock mount to strengthen it. It also gives more airbox clearance.

woodsracer144
04-30-2010, 06:55 PM
i was talking about on the chassis its self... the upper shock mount. on the JP there were 2 of them.

CODY_M11
04-30-2010, 07:14 PM
CAN YOU MAKE A STOCK FRAME/SWING ARM NO LINK?

Nac's22
05-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by woodsracer144

No it sits in the corner of my friends garage. Blew the motor up about 3 different times in 1 month because of faulty motor work by the guy who was doing work on his motor so then bought a yfz. Then broke his collar bone needing 2 plates and 3 or 4 screws to fix it up and at that time he decided he was too old to race mx now and quit. So it has sat half apart in the corner of his garage for 2 years now.