PDA

View Full Version : spark plug and spark plug gap. CAN SOME ON ANSWORE MY QUESTION

2004400ex
04-28-2010, 07:56 AM
spark plug and spark plug gap ?

i have a STD. bore 400ex with 11:1 COMPRESSION WITH A STAGE 1 HOT CAM WITH PORT AND POLISH ALSO 3/4 CARB SPACER WITH HIGH FLOW AIR FILTER. I USE 100 OCTANE CAN I CHANGE THE FIRE BY THE GAP OF THE PLUG I NO I CAN CHANGE THE TEMP OF SPARK WITH A HOTER PLUG. WHAT WILL THE GAP DO ????

I AM LOOKING TO BURN FUEL BETTER AND GAIN SOME POWER

fearlessfred
05-18-2010, 01:25 PM
i would not increase the gap, only because it is hard on the rest of the system. in my opinion your way of thinking is correct.in drag racing i use to open the gaps to 50 thousnths and the coldest plug i could put in the motor. i would see faster e,t.s . u might do better by going a step colder on the plug and fine tuning the jetting and this part is gonna sound wrong,but u prob. dont need to run 100 octane. to high of an octane over what your motor needs can lessen performance, if u have advanced the timing u might need that high of octane. the higher the octane the slower it burns and u dont wont the flame front chasing the piston down,it should be meeting the piston as soon as it starts its downward travel (sorry i got off subject)