PDA

View Full Version : First Race

DVXchic
04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey, I just had my first race on the new Can Am, i love this quad. handles great, jumps amazing goes pretty quick too.

I finished with a 2nd in the first moto, and a 3rd in the second moto.

On my old quads i would get tiered very fast, this beast i had a couple more laps left in me. Thanks BRP for making a great machine :)

DVXchic
04-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Ok, bigger pic, lol

I do find the front end very grabby in the loose sand, is there a cure for this without buying a stabilizer, like moving the top a arms back a bit. or something like that, anyone else have this problem.

craigmacphee
04-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I went with the precision pro steering stabilizer and it made night and day difference. You can also mess with your tire pressure a bit.

One thing you may want to check is the play in your existing a-arms. Put it on a stand, lock your front brake, then wiggle the wheels front to back. If they have play in them, they will cause you to dart in corners as well. You want them to be tight with no play. (not sure I explained this right, others feel free to chime in)

BTW...great action pic!

TNT
04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah you could move the upper arm back a washer or two to get more positive caster and stability at speed… I think the factory has it set too far forward, 0 to 2-3 degree negative(upper ball joint fwd of lower) to make sure that the tires greatest amount of tread is in full contact when it is most needed in corners but not so far it becomes hard to steer. I use an angle finder and straight edge to set it. You could try and run a little higher pressure like 10-12 psi in the front tires, or, speed up your rebound setting a bit so the suspension does not dig in or stay on the ground so much.

DVXchic
05-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Quad worked great this weekend, i just moved the top arms back 2 washers, stll a tiny bit grabby but not near as bad as it was. Unfortunatly i Blew a seal out on my front shock somehow. only has about 5 hours on it??

florentino
05-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by DVXchic
Quad worked great this weekend, i just moved the top arms back 2 washers, stll a tiny bit grabby but not near as bad as it was. Unfortunatly i Blew a seal out on my front shock somehow. only has about 5 hours on it??

are you running 19 inch tires on the front? 12 p.s.i is a lot for me. since you have a new quad inspect every nut and bolt on the bike and under the frame the 2 bolts and the sproket nuts come loose all the time.
take the quad in a concrete level area and ride it. in a strait line
see if it pulls to the side.

HOBS DS450
05-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by DVXchic

Welcome to the leaky shock club.

blaster99
05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
The chrome on the shock shafts is very soft. A rock hits the shaft and nics it. The nic passes by the seals, tearing them causing your shock to leak all the time. You will need new shafts, seals and a good set of shock covers.

DVXchic
05-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Hmmmmmm, well that sucks. got it fixed already, guess we will see how long it lasts.

Thanks for all the help you guys. (:

ds450xracer
05-05-2010, 01:34 PM
they have some plastic shock guards coming out for the mx bikes to help with that, they gave me some at the GNCC to test for them, I guess to see how they handle the rocks and stuff we see

HOBS DS450
05-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Hey Blaster, you have anymore of that wet suit material? I know BCS has the seals, do they have the shafts too?

I had the seal replaced and it started leaking again within two rides. I have a new shock heading my way so I won't miss round three of ITP this weekend but I still need to get some shock covers.

blaster99
05-06-2010, 07:00 AM
I used the last set of covers on the shocks for the practice quad. See if anyone has shock covers near you that you can make work.