PDA

View Full Version : ATV Trans...Belt Drive??

DirtWork
04-27-2010, 01:26 PM
I have 05 Suzuki Vinson 4x4 thats semi Auto (I'd guess thats what its called It has a shifter, 5 speeds, and no clutch) I'm planning to upgrade this summer and see a lot of new ATV's that are belt drive with no shifter. I kinda like being able to choose my own gear even though mine is hard to shift.
Are there any reliabilty issues with these belt type ATV's?
Do they need replacing?.
Are they Exspensive?
Are there any Manufacturer's that still have the semi auto trans?
Thanks DW

HPI_Savage25
04-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I personally will never own another belt drive. I owned a 1999 sportsman 500 a while back (belt drive trans). Although it was an awesome design (gearing is almost unlimited, didn't have to change gears, etc). If it gets wet belts start to slip. What really killed me was that when the bearings went out on the trans/linkage it was a $900 repair bill just for bearings....and reading what all had to be done in the manual to split the trans apart I understood why.

Just my .02

DirtWork
04-28-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks for your input savage.. thats what i was afraid of ... a freind was telling me about his polaris side by side.. he had gotten his mower stuck when he tried to pull it out with the ranger he burned the belt up. i had a skidoo sno mobile in the 70's that would burn belts like that too. i never was impressed with the setup of 2 centrifugal clutches like im assuming is in these new atv's. Hoping to find a new atv with semi auto.:rolleyes:

DirtWork
04-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I get it now....http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=190895

honda400ex2003
04-28-2010, 02:46 PM
I am not a fan of them, but if they are sealed off properly they should not leak. the key is should not. they often do and can cause problems if the going gets wet. that is why the hondas are nice, no belts all of the motors are mounted longitudinally so that the shafts can go directly to the trans and directly to the diff yokes. it works great and has less rotating parts to worry about. as far a i know though, just about all of the others, can am included run belts and cvts in their utility machines. so if you are dead set on anything but a honda belts it is. my dad had a 500 1999 sportsman that had a belt that was fine for many years. although it could be locked into low gear for pulling or something where belt grab was important. it never really saw any water with him on it, and only the bottom of the lake with me on it so it is hard to say how it was in water. it never had a winch so there was no mudding to be had with the 900 lb tank. lol. steve

wannaride4
04-30-2010, 11:16 AM
I have rode the polaris sportsman's 500-850's / Can-am outlander 800, in the mountians, sand dunes, down a paved road, across rivers and streams (nothing handle bar deep though) and using them to pull loggs while cutting firewood and through mud and snow while hunting, just all around riding for work and play. I have been riding belt drive for over 15 yrs or so and I have never had a belt problem. Always use low range when pulling something heavy. Dont be affraid of the belt drive, just use your head and ride with someone that knows how to ride the belt drives, you will learn alot, these systems are very relieable. Ride he hell out of it and have fun.