PDA

View Full Version : carburator float sticking

rookie1
04-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I have a 2004 Outlander 400 4x4 The carburator consistantly over flows gas. I figure the float must be sticking. I added some seafoam to the gas but that didn't help. My next step is to take the carb off and clean it. Problem is, I'm not sure what the step by step process is to remove it. Can anyone explain?

brian 68
04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
first try . check to see if your carb has a drain bolt/screw on the bottom of the bowl unscrew it. gas should run out of it . make sure the pet cock is off. drain the bowl. remove the gas line spray some cleaner down the gas line. then screw the drain plug back in fill it with carb cleaner/fi cleaner. let it sit. drain, spray. reattach gas and try it. if not and you havn't done it . befor you start take some pict's, where every line goes . remove the front clamp, and rear clamp. on some machines you dont have to take the carb all the way out ,if you can rotate it enough to remove the bottom bowl screws. drop the bowl down. pull the gas line off the carb. spray cleaner down the tube where the fuel line goes. with the bowl off you can see the gas flowing lift the floats it stops. you should pull the pin that holds the float on. carefuly remove the float , the piece that is atached (looks like a little missle) is what stops the gas. the end is rubber make sure it and the tube is clean. its also very likly the float level is a little high in which case you will need to bend the tab that the stopper attaches to . raise it to lower the float. warning, it can't be to low or the bike won't idle .
honestly you should have the float set by someone that has done it befor. sorry i didn't want to go into more detail. hope this helps